Golden Beach Guest House

66/28 Soi Kepsab, Thaweewong Rd., Patong, Kathu, 83150, Thailand

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Phuket

On the boat headed for James Bond IslandOn the boat headed for James Bond Island

Me driving the big black thing!Me driving the big black thing!

All day breakfast - excellent - 250bahtAll day breakfast - excellent - 250baht

Surin beach, PhuketSurin beach, Phuket

Taxi from Airport to Hotel

Hi there

I am travelling to Phuket in Oct and have no transfers booked yet. I am staying at Centara Villas 701 Patak Rd | Karon Beach, Karon. What is the best way to get a taxi that wont rip me off and how much will it approx cost in British Pounds ?

Many thanks in advance for any info.

James

by mim95

Ignore the craziness around the exit area, look for the taxi stand to your right once you exit the terminal building. There are metered taxis there. I can't say if they are still using the meter or you have to negotiate with the driver now. They used to use the meter.

by JAMES1981

Thanks for getting back to me.

K will look for the taxi stand and go from there about the use of the meter.
Thanks again.

by lindyz

Hi james, Im told a taxi will be about 400bt to Patong, 100 booking fee and then about 300 on the meter, and yes make sure you get a metered one, as Im told they are cheaper.

Hi there

Thats great info.

Will stick to meter taxis.

Thanks again

James

by Tina-Perth

Most metered taxis should be fine, but some of them will stop in to different agencies on the way to try to pick up a commission on taking you there.

If you want a definite fast-track, honest ride, a private driver is the best. About 600 baht and they are there waiting for you at the exit. 600 baht is about 10-12 Pounds (at a guess). I have two recommended drivers on my Phuket page.

by lindyz

id definitely use a driver, especially if you get into the airport late and you are tired and disorientated, its just soooooo much easier.

im currently in phuket and using one of Tina's driver listed on her page, Mr. Sydny. He is punctual, careful driver and great prices, so I would highly recommend him. Speaking to a few people, they said his price of 600bt for airport transfer into Patong was also a very very good price.

by Tina-Perth

Hi Lindy, actually Sidney is booked through Mai. His name isn't listed on my page. He's a lovely man, isn't he?

by lindyz

Ok Tina, sorry I thought he would be on your page. Yes, he was great, always very punctual, very careful driver and great rates!!!

When I find time to do my Phuket page, Ill have all his details there, but I recon it will take me a good week to do it - took sooooo many pics and did soooooo much stuff hehe!!!

by Tina-Perth

I'm so glad you liked him, I thought you would, Lindy. Looking forward to seing your pictures.

by lindyz

Tina, Ive put most of the best ones on fb .... but it will take me a lot longer to do my Phuket page on here!!! It took me 5 solid days to finish my China pages!!!

Travel Tips for Phuket

Parts of Phuket Island are very jungle-like

by zrim

This pretty view was taken from an open air restaurant just outside Phuket City. Can you see the elephant?

Through the magic of Photostudio I have blown it up so you can see it in the next tip. Elephants and Gibbons.

Sleeping

by Tina-Perth

Sleeping is actually a bit of a national pasttime in Thailand. The Thai people can sleep anytime, anywhere. We have seen them sleeping on the top of crane towers - while the crane was being driven along!

Thai people generally sleep on typical woven mats, a specialty of the Phattalung province, but here are a few pictures of some other places you'll see them sleeping.

I always have to laugh.

Way of living

by Myndo

No, most Thais do not live in such huts anymore but in normal houses.

But they still can be seen on the island - mostly a litte away from the normal roads.

And I thought it would make a good motive.

Phone Cards

by Tina-Perth about D-Tac

Our first visit to Phuket cost us about $1,000 in mobile phone calls, so we decided to purchase a pre-paid local sim card each since we spend so much time there.

We went to the D-Tac shop downstairs at the Big C shopping centre. The staff were very helpful and we managed to get a card each. The rates were better than a couple of others we checked out.

The staff set everything up for us on the spot. We found that all our phone numbers were available on our phones (I thought they were on my sim card, so that was a great relief). Bear in mind that you may need to have your phone unlocked, which you can have done at one of the stalls in the same location. Prices vary on the type of phone, but it usually takes up to an hour and can range between 200 baht and 1,000 baht.

If you go to a smaller phone shop for a refill, you will only be able to purchase the smaller amounts. It is best to go to a large dealer such as this one for phone recharges of 500 - 800 baht. These higher amounts have up to 100 baht extra credit with them. The sim card's validity is extended by 12 months every time you top up, unlike some others I've heard of. You will be asked to show your passport when you apply, so be prepared. Local calls are charged at 5 baht per minute for the first minute, then at 6 satang per minute thereafter, international calls charged at 7 baht per minute. Very cheap! Connection for the card was 199 baht which included a 50 baht credit. Don't forget to ring the code prefix (usually 009) they give you for international calls to get the special rate.

Pub Crawl

by DONBURGESS about Clubs, bars, go go

Whilst in Phuket, a fun thing to do is have apub crawl around the bars, we found this was a great way of seeing and meeting loads of people. At many of the bars they have games for the punters to play, one fun game was head the nail into the block of wood, it looks easy, but belive me after you have had a few beers, its not so easy, but have ago and have some fun, i know we did Anything goes

Comments