Loenoe Palace

38/19 Nanai Rd., Soi Sub Sum Nam, Patong, 83150, Thailand

More about Phuket

Otop Markets near Marriott HotelOtop Markets near Marriott Hotel

Frank riding on her head!Frank riding on her head!

Chilli Fish 240bahtChilli Fish 240baht

Pool barPool bar

Phuket Travel

by GitaP

I have decided against hiring a car mainly because our 7 days in Phuket are supposed to be deeply relaxing and the more I hear about the cops and foreigners driving - the more I think, thats what I deal with at home and I don't want to be dealing with it on holiday. Since we will probably only venture from the beach 2/3 times out of our 7 days, I am thinking that we will probably take a bus from Kata Beach to Phuket Town and then hopefully book a car and driver for a whole day to take in the sights. Also we can catch a tuk tuk to Patong beach for an afternoon, evening. For the rest, we will probably eat and play in Karon and Kata. I would appreciate some help with the following:

Names and contact details of reliable and not exhorbitant drivers who can do a day trip with us.

Also more information on the buses that run out of Kata Beach (where, how much etc)

Is it safe to walk around late at night between Kata and Karon beach?

by johnaalex

Gita

Check my Phuket pages for the details of a very good driver.

As regard tuk-tuks they usually charge the same as taxis so for the trip from Kata to Patong you may as well have the extra comfort of a car. Drivers will always offer to wait for you at now extra charge for the waiting, that way they do not have to return at their own expense.

Walking between Kata and Karon should be safe enough, but it could be quiet a long walk!

Regards

John

by GitaP

Thanks John

I have already sent him an email but no reply yet - are you glad the whole election thing is over and has Spring arrived as yet?

by johnaalex

Some times he may take a day or two to answer e-mails (or to be more precise, for his wife to answer e-mails), but they are usually very reliable.

Yes I am glad that the election is over, but it is still cool, even for an English Spring :-(

Travel Tips for Phuket

Playing with white sandy beach

by vigi

Kata Beach is great for couples. Many restaurants, diving operators, shops etc. This hotel have a kind of village feel which is great. Kata Beach also provides a lot of trees which can be very comforting when the midday sun is burning your socks out.

Mosquito zappers

by Tina-Perth

Just to give anyone travelling to Australia from Thailand forewarning that these electric/battery operated mosquito zappers are illegal. Australia is the only country in the world to ban the importation of them and they will be confiscated from you at Customs - AFTER you've unpacked your bags and done all the paperwork.

I explained that they're so safe I couldn't even zap Steve when I wanted to, and that young children use them in Thailand, however they say that they are classified as Tazars here. Customs said that we may splash old people with water, then zap them which could cause injury.

How did they ever find out about our favourite new hobby?

Avoid Suits

by jlcurtis287 about Scandia Fashion

Located off the main street along Patong Beach Don't get a suit from here. The craftsmanship isn't quite a nice as some of the other tailors for the price. We also picked up a woman's suit, and the quality we were shown and the quality we ended up with were definitely not the same--buyer beware when it comes to suits!

Cabaret Shows, Bars and Go Go's

by austarman about Tangmo club, Playschool, Octopus

There are so many great bars, disco's, cabaret shows and restaurants that you can go to for a night out in Phuket.
We started off 2 nights at the Playschool go go bar in Soi Seadragon just to have a look at the dancers.
We had a few drinks one night and went to my Papa's friends bar at the end of the soi called the Octopus bar where we met the boss and some great people from many places and had a few more drinks.
Later Kwarn says she will show us a great show so we ended up at a place called the Tangmo club which was a cabaret show full of Katoey's and gays.
Not really my thing but the cabaret show was well done.
If you are after a good disco then you should try the Tiger pub on Bangla street which is good and always seems to be busy.
My favorite though would have to be the Banana disco on the beach road with good music and a light laser show. Right throughout Phuket the nightlife dress is just comfortable and whatever feels good.

David's Rent a Car

by blackace

I'm glad I followed your advice to drive around Phuket and use David's Rent a Car. I initially requested for a Suzuki Carribean because it was the cheapest at TB 600 a day. Their driver delivered the car to the resort so I brought him back to their office (which is in front of the airport) as this was along the way to Patong Beach. Now the Suzuki is a all manual and it's right hand driving in Thailand so I had some diffuculty driving (I'm used to automatic and it's left hand driving in the Philippines). When we arrived at the office, I asked if there was a smaller car or an automatic hoping that it would cost just a little more. To my surprise, they offered to exchange with an old Nissan automatic at the same rate (normally, it would have cost TB 900 a day). After a day, I already got used to driving around.
You would have to purchase the gasoline but I would suggest you go back out to the highway and look for the nearest gasoline station. The one near the airport charges TB2 per liter higher.
While going around Phuket, stay on the main highways because there are more signs in English. Before starting on your trip, press on the odometer so that is at zero so that you can monitor the distance to where you are going. Again, be aware of motorcycles, because these are the main culprits of accidents. On the highways, there are not much intersections except for U-turns so stay in the middle. Finally, there is a supposed speed limit. However, no one follows this so just follow the speed of the majority of the automobiles.

Comments