Marina Phuket

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Marina Phuket

Great stay at Marina Phuket

by TripAdvisor Member yeet

We spent 2 nights at the Marina Phuket in April 07 and loved the experience. Our arrival was delayed for about an hour, but the hotel staff was waiting with a smile at the airport when we got there. We were greeted at the hotel with cold towels and a coconut drink. After check-in, a staff led the way to the jungle room and showed us around the room before she left.

The spacious room had a high ceiling and beautiful wooden furnishings. We enjoyed the extras - bath robes, bath salts and loofah for the tub, tote bag with towels for the beach, umbrellas and a mac with internet access and plenty of movies stored within. The wooden panels separating the bathroom and beds can also be rotated so you can watch a movie on the 32 inch LCD screen while enjoying a soak in the tub. Tea bags and instant coffee are available FOC, so we also enjoyed reading with a drink at the balcony.

The only glitches are the many mosquito bites i got at the dining area (but my boyfriend didnt get any) and the flies buzzing around the breakfast table. Also, i told the hotel during the booking (abt 2 weeks before the trip) that it was my boyfriend's birthday and if they could make some arrangements. They said 'yes', but forgot about it when we were there. Also on the following day after checking-in, we left the hotel after breakfast, came back around 4pm and found that the room was still unmade. The housekeeping staff came by a while later and asked somewhat apologetically if we still wanted the room cleaned up.

Overall, we enjoyed the stay and would definitely return.

On the Rocks

by Cathy&Gary about On the Rocks

On the Rock is located within the Marina Phuket Resort at Karon Beach. Three of us decided to have dinner there while they guys were on a Harley ride to Hua Hin. A good friend from Singapore really wanted seafood so we found a tuk tuk in Patong who would do the return transport plus wait for us for 600baht.

I was quite disappointed with On The Rocks, maybe my expectations were to high. We were seated downstairs, everything looked nice enough, but it did not have the wow factor at all

For my entree I ordered Hoh Mok Seafood, it was very spicy and absolutely delicious, the cost was 180baht.

We decided to order the mixed meats bbq and mixed seafood bbq between the 3 of us for our main courses. These were 550baht each.

This meal was a huge disappointment, the 2 plates were piled high with cabbage and the meat and seafood were on the top, so it actually was only a very small amount of food. We also had to ask did it come with anything else like vegetables, which were then bought out to us.

The main course was nothing special at all, very bland and not worth the 1100baht we paid.

The walk down to the restaurant was beautiful, lots of greenery and pathways.

I just found the restaurant such a let down. maybe we will try it for lunch next trip and see if it is more enjoyable!

Lovely rooms.

by TripAdvisor Member bo

My husband and I stayed at this hotel together with six other couples in February 2007. We all had ocean view rooms and they are quite beautiful. Due to the extensive grounds, we felt we had space despite the property and Phuket itself being "sold out". Marina Phuket is in a good location and minor mishaps were dealt with efficiently. I would stay there again.

Amazing Rumble in a Jungle

by TripAdvisor Member PHILYEOH

We stayed in Marina Phuket for 7 nights in December 2006 and i must say this hotel is our highlight of our 26 day stay across Asia. The hotel in set in a tropical jungle. We booked 2 garden view rooms and it has got a fantastic view overlooking Karon Bay.. The service in the hotel is excellent and very low key which we like. The pool is surrounded by tropical plants and foliage. We used the beach everyday where you can hire a deckchair and parasol.Clean towels are provided everyday by the hotel for the beach. We also have the complimentary meal at SalaThai restaurant and this is given when you booked through the hotel website. We also ate a lot of time at The Rock Restaurant which overlook Karon Bay. Breakfast here is very good quality and the SalaThai restaurant is well positioned where you can chat to the birds and squirrels when you have your breakfast. The shopping street outside is great and the thai massage across the road is fantastic. We also booked some snorkering trip along the road. Overall this is an understated hotel with 5 stars luxury. Will stay here again when we are back in Phuket.

Want to go back now!

by TripAdvisor Member ScubaCF

I would have to say that Marina Suites is a great place for a vacation. They picked us up at the airport and our rooms were ready in no time (we arrived in the am). The hotel staff was very nice to us. We stayed in one of the Jungle Rooms after reading the reviews. We were very happy with this choice. The room was a nice size for two people with a nice balcony. Our room overlooked the jungle from the balcony and from the front we could see the ocean. The bathroom was a nice treat too! The breakfast buffet was outstanding every morning. We also had lunch at On the Rock and dinner at Sala Thai (with a Thai dance show). We only got to use the pool on one day because we went diving and on our days off we went to the beach. This was a birthday vacation for me and my husband told them it was my birthday and they had a cake waiting for me when we got back from Diving. That was so special and very nice of the hotel staff. We really liked the quiet resort, but it was still in walking distance to shopping and restaurants. It was like being in the middle of the jungle, but close to the beach. We also booked an elephant ride through the hotel. The rooms are very clean and the staff made our vacation extra special. We did not want to leave. We used Marina Divers and they are a great crew. We would recommend booking a package with them. We will be staying at Marina Phuket again!

Recommendtions: This is what the resort supplies for you (so you don’t need to bring extras). Blow dryer, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower gel, and bath crystals. The room has high speed internet with access to Itunes. So if you need to charge your Ipod or download pictures, bring your adapters. They also supply you with a clean beach towel every day.

Best Holiday Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member Jennifer18

From the moment we arrived at Phuket airport this was a great trip. Our driver was at the airport to meet us (included in the 100 USD offer per night for the room). An hour's drive later, we were at the resort.

Staff were extremely friendly right from the start (and right til the end of our stay) and the resort is set out over a series of wooden walkways, which were all fairly simple to negotiate.

We stayed in a 'jungle' room, surrounded by trees (obviously). There were thankfully no spiders in view! The room itself was completely insect free and was immaculately clean (and was kept this way everyday by the hard-working staff) and it comes equipped with everything - air conditioning (that works!), plasma screen tv, huge bed, free internet access via a Mac, great bathroom with nice bath as well as shampoos, soaps, loofers etc. Four complimentary bottles of drinking water were also provided daily. We couldn't have asked for more. Plus the immaculate and not too busy (at this time of year anyway) Karon beach was yards away.

Having ventured away from Karon beach almost everyday, it was clear that Karon beach seems to be one of the best on the island, if not the best. It is long and wasn't too overcrowded and if you're staying at the Marina it is right on your doorstep.

The town itself has lots of little bars, restaurants and shops, but for the die-hard shopper in you, head to Patong (300 BHT in a Tuk Tuk).

The local people are full of smiles and really embrace tourists. One day, I lost my sunglasses after trying on a hat at one of the street stalls and to my absolute surprise, I went back next day and the girl had kept them, handing them back to me! Unbelievable!

The breakfast (included in room prices) is quite a good affair (as far as breakfasts go) and the resort has two restaurants of it's own, whose food is as good as anything we tasted in town. Local cuisine tends to be better than the 'international' stuff and having had steaks and Italian food on a number of occasions this definitely proved to be case.

If you want a break from the beach, the pool area at the Marina Phuket is a fantastic alternative. The pool is on two levels. There are great loungers, some shaded and some in the sun and some are handily on wheels for ease of movement poolside. The toilets and showers are closeby as is the bar and a Thai massage room!

Entertainment-wise there is lots to do - boat trips to many of the islands local to Phuket, scuba diving (highly recommended!!!), elephant treks (take the half hour tour as the novelty soon wears off), Thai boxing in Patong (which we didn't see but heard was a spectacle) and of course bring money as guaranteed you will go home with plenty of purchases from the markets (best ones in Patong). No need to buy 'pre-holiday' clothes as you can kit yourself out with everything here for next to nothing. Beer/drinks are also very cheap! Oh and Thai massages are well worth the pittance you will be charged. I went practically every day!

The only slight negative would be that if you need to get laundry done, take it to a local Thai massage parlour (loads dotted along the beachfront shops) for 50 BHT per kilo. This compared to 50 BHT per t-shirt within the resort.

Overall, this resort has exceeded our expectations and unlike most other places we've holidayed in the sun (Caribbean, Mediterranean) we can definitely say , we will come back here!

Great location, beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Vickyjo

Have just returned from a six night stay at the Marina Phuket and I can't speak highly enough of this place.

First the location. It feels like a wonderful little secluded hideaway in the middle of nowhere but in fact right on the door step is plenty to keep you entertained and within easy reach (less that 5 mins tuk tuk 100baht) of the busier Karon and Kata and seriously busy party area Patong (10mins 300baht). The hotel is literally on the beautiful beach with massages and sun beds right in front of you though not intrusive. From what I saw of Phuket and for my needs (quiet, relaxing but easy access to busy areas) it was the best located hotel I came across.

We were in a Garden view room which, as others have said, they do not have pictures of on their website which concerned me a little. It was lovely. We were in room 109, the terrace looked straight into trees which we enjoyed, there was no sun due to this but as the room has an almost wall sized window onto the terrace, those without this camouflage could be looked directly into. The room was simple but with plenty of storage, a nice bathroom, good lighting etc. It was very clean though in a few corners the wallpaper was peeled a bit, not enough to be a concern and I didn't even notice it or days. I think given the standard of the higher priced rooms I hoped it to be a bit more special which it wasn't particularly but if I had never seen pictures of the others it wouldn't even have crossed my mind, it was perfect and for the amount of time we spent in it (sleeping and an hour possibly in the day) it was more than adequate. The mini bar was well stocked and reasonably priced for a mini bar and we were provided with 4 free bottles of water daily. I'm not sure how often the bed was changed but it was always clean as were the towels and each day iris flowers were placed on the pillows. The room was a fine size for the two of us but I'd suggest if there were an extra bed in there it'd be quite a squeeze.
There was also provided Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, foam bath (shower gel), razor kit, comb, shower cap, cotton pads and buds.
The only complaint is that our hairdryer didn't seem to work but I didn't complain as hair dryers so quickly there anyway it wasn't required.

The staff were helpful, friendly and courteous with an adequate level of English. Almost every single member of staff would greet you as you passed, even the guys who sweep up the leaves after storm and one even greeted us when we passed them off duty.

For booking direct with the hotel we had free airport transfers in a lovely people carrier which really made us feel taken care of and eliminated a lot of stress of negotiating a taxi upon arrival. We were also given a welcome drink and cold towels on arrival and departure and a free meal one night in the hotel restaurant which was lovely and quiet as was the bar.

The pool area was beautiful with sunny and shaded areas though we used it very little preferring the beach. My only negative observations here was that the pool is used for diving training (though again it isn't really a problem) and for my light blonde hair it turned it green in about 20 minutes, I mean seriously bright green!! Watch out if this may affect you, I resorted to a tomato juice rinse to get rid of it!!

The breakfast was fine, decent selection, English, Thai and continental all together on offer.

We went diving with Marina Divers, which is run by the same people as the hotel, right next door. To be honest they cocked it up a bit as the instructor didn't turn up so we were delayed and ended up with a Thai instructor instead of the English one but he turned out to be very good anyway and they dealt with it honestly so it wasn’t the end of the world, Also, we didn't receive a discount for staying at the hotel as was said we would but again the experience was generally good and we couldn't be bothered to argue.

We used the hotel info to book our trip to Phuket Fantasea and they were fine, not great but fine. They told us there were on basic seats left so we would have to tae the higher priced ones, which I thought, might be untrue but had no choice.

IN GENERAL

There were one or two niggles with the hotel but overall nothing detrimental to the holiday and it was so good in so many other ways it didn’t really matter (have just put the here is the interest of fairness.

Fantasea was an awful, awful, massively over priced rip-off. Really, really, unless you have under 8s don't go. Also the higher priced seats are actually much worse, the seats front block down the sides are best if you do go. Staff here were the worse in Thailand

The tailor opposite the hotel was very rude and swore at us after we passed by and he realised we decided not to use him. That was quite unpleasant along with the guys who insist on asking females and couples to their sex shows and will literally follow you calling out. Some tuk-tuk drivers & Tailors will try to rip you off. These were the only truly negative points of the holiday.

All in all an amazing place and fab hotel

Didn't want to leave - want to go back....NOW

by TripAdvisor Member Beemerbikerbabe

We just got back from an absolutely fantastic 10 night stay in the Marina Resort Phuket. This is by far one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in (we have travelled fairly extensively all over the world) and all for a fair price. The room (we had a 'Jungle' room) was luxurious and spacious, immaculately clean and well presented and serviced daily. The 32 flat screen TV which doubles as a PC with music playlist, disc burner and free internet access is a very nice touch. The pictures on the hotels own website are a true reflection of the room presentation on arrival.

The cheaper 'Garden' rooms looked nice from what we saw, clean and comfortable and spaced out fairly well amongst planted landcaping and lawns. Didn't see the ocean view rooms as they are well hidden from the walkways in their own area. Never got far enough out on the sea to see them - the water had quite a strong undertow most days - not ideal for children at this part of the beach - but itsn't too far to Kata which seemed calmer more often (but just as busy).

Lovely grounds to walk around along the raised wooden walkways. Rooms are generally set in a fairly secluded and quiet location amongst the trees and vegetation, with black squirrels, birds and butterflies to sit and watch from your balcony with a beer from the fridge (charged at the same price as at the bars/restaurants - and not at all expensive by hotel standards). It is a haven of peace and tranquility, but it is also not too far from the hubub of the shops or the beach when you want to go there.

Friendly, smiling staff that couldn't have been more helpful. Fresh towels (including beach towels) daily and more by the pool when you want them - where you can also get a great Thai massage at very reasonable cost. Food in the restaurants was good and drinks well priced in comparison to other hotels. Breakfast is a very good buffet with lots of choice, served between 06:30 to 11:30 which is great either for early trippers or late risers.

Pool area is really nice and the pool a reasonable size. It looks smaller due to the vegetation and 'rocks' used to landcape it, but it was never very busy - although you did usually have to get up early to bag a sunbed with your beach towels (but that was just the same on the beach at this time of year - we saw an italian and german couple fighting over one of those one day !).

The general atmosphere was pleasant and 'cosmopolitan' whilst we were there - the guests being mainly Norwegian, Swedish, German, Swiss, Austrian and Dutch, as the hotel is used for packages by some tour companies from those areas, (and lots of guests seemed to only stay for about 4 days at a time) but we also heard Italian, Japanese and Russian - oh, and on occasion English. It can make for a slight feeling of alienation if you are a more sociable type, but for us it was ideal as we felt we were anonymous rather than a part of the package tour crowd and there was never any unpleasantness - and people were generally friendly enough if you chatted to them.

No real bad points (apart from us having to leave yesterday!) although it is not ideal for families with young children or those who have difficulty with steep walkways/steps and uneven surfaces, but there were families staying there who seemed to be enjoying themselves. We did pity the porters and housekeepers who have to carry everything around by hand or on sack trucks, but always (as with everything else) they did this with a smile and friendly greeting.

Thoroughly recommend a stay here, especially if you want to escape the 'normal' shoe boxes in the bigger hotel complexes and have a little bit of luxury off the beaten track. We visited friends staying in the Kata Thani a couple of times it seemed a huge sprawling complex with lots of gardens, pools, bars, restaurants and facilities, but felt more 'corporate' (and the prices reflected it's huge popularity - looked great for families) - but we couldn't wait to get back to our charming little plantation.

Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member Littlemisstourist

We stayed in a garden view room for a few nights in March - I was a bit apprehensive about the room as i'd seen lots of pictures of the jungle rooms but none of the garden rooms. Upon arrival they do give you a soft sell to try and make you upgrade and the picture of the garden room they showed us didn't look too nice either!! But the room was actually lovely. Quite small but with a very comfy bed, tv, fridge, coffee making facilities, and a nice bathroom with free toiletries. We were also given fresh towels to take to the beach on a daily basis in a beach bag which was very handy. The one fault with the room was that the ac didn't seem to be working. The breakfast was lovely although we only made it out of bed on time once to enjoy it and the free meal in the restaurant was one of our favourite during our holiday. There's also a seafood restaurant that juts out over the sea which you need to book for - the food was lovely but i think it was the prawns that night which made me sick the next day!!! The hotel is in a central location and quietly located next to the beach - there are however a number of steps upto the hotel which may be a problem for the elderly/disabled/ those with children. The pool was nice but small and totally in the shade - we usually just used it too cool off after the beach. There were only a few pool chairs so i guess ud have to get down there pretty early. We sat on the beach every day - on our last day however when it was windy, the tide seemed to change and the water went black- lots of dead fish and rubbish washed up and nobody could swim in the sea. There was free internet in the 'business centre' and a free transfer to the airport.

Overall a lovely hotel and would recommend it to all.

relaxing getaway

by TripAdvisor Member max006

Marina resort is a fantastic 5 star resort. From the moment you arrive to your fantastic room, great service and easy access to the beach you will love it. Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly staff giving you a cold towel and a coconut drink. The rooms are great, more like bungalows than hotel rooms. We stayed in the jungle room which was beautiful. The rooms are new, bed is huge and comfortable, Air con is great and bathroom is unbelievable with seperate bath and shower which are both great. The room also has cable Tv and a Mac computer which gives you free internet plus movies and music to watch, all thorugh your LCD TV from your bed. The
breakfast and food at the main restaurant were great. The swimming pool is very nice, it is not huge, but it was not crowded when we were there. The resort has beach access (one of only 2 or 3 resorts that do) and it is a lovely beach with good clear water and you can also do some snorkelling (there is no coral, but still some good tropical fish). The rooms do require some walking to get to, for instance the jungle rooms are about a 3-4 min walk to reception, similalry to the beach, and there are steps. But this adds to the uniqueness and ambience of the resort. Overall this is a fantastic resort to have a relaxing getaway. PS. there are plenty of restaurants, shops, massage parlours and tour companies just outside the hotel grounds that offer good prices, so there is lots to do if you want to venture off the resort

Marina Phuket Resort or Burasari Resort?

by edelweiss66

Am considering these two resorts. Which is better? Can anybody shed some light on them? Thanks!

by johnaalex

I have been in the Burasari Resort for a look around when I was last in Patong in January this year. It is a luxurious resort, but I thought the pool area was too closed in, almost claustrophobic. It is in a quiet side street about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Patong (Soi Bangla). For my money the Busakorn Wing in the Holiday Inn just opposite is a much better place. With regard to the Marina Resort this is somewhere I have not been at all, but from their website it is clear that it is about a 15 minute drive from Patong, in a much quieter area close to Kata.

Hope this helps, please check my Phuket pages for some more tips.

Regards

John

by worldinabag

Hi

I didn't stay at either of these but did check them out. The Burasari is located in Patong, a couple of hundred metres to the ocean. Well located for shopping and nightlife. It seemed very nice and had a boutique hotel feel to it. I prefer to stay on or opposite the beach so we stayed around the corner at the Seaview Hotel - www.seaviewphuket.com. Take a deluxe room for ocean views. Very nice hotel with really lovely staff. The Marina is in Karon, a short taxi ride to Patong and right on the beach. I was taken for a quick tour of the complex. The rooms were really nice but the resort's gardens are its real drawcard - they are lush and truly beautiful. We had a drink at the "On the Rock" restaurant at the resort. Very unique spot. My pick between your two options would be the Marina without hesitation.

by Sunshine_1

If you like the quiet beach, I suggest you to check at Marina Phuket Resort. Marina Phuket Resort is hidden away in lush greenery, with a web of wooden walkways providing easy access to both sea and jungle bungalows. The seaside units present sweeping vistas of Karon Beach and the Andaman Sea, including magnificent sunsets; the jungle units offer lush views of forest and glimpses of the pool area - one of the most appealing on Phuket. You also enjoy direct access to the beach, where you can swim and snorkle right in front of their bungalow.

Enjoy!!!

Marina Phuket Resort

by mnbuckland

I will be visiting Phuket April 2007. Have been looking at the Marina Phuket Resort at Karong Beach for a weeks stay. Can anyone comment on the Resort good or bad
Thanks

5 star luxury hotel on a 3 star budget

by ricsue

I am meeting family in Phuket in March and need help finding a hotel or villa. We like the luxury, but the kids can only afford budget. They are also looking for by the beach, but not right in town. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RE: 5 star luxury hotel on a 3 star budget

by Homanded

Hello! You'll love Phuket.
We picked up a great deal at the Kata Beach Resort (you can visit our pages) on Asiarooms.com
It is a 5 star resort, right on the beach on one of the nicest beaches in Phuket. Kata Beach, secluded, away from the hustle and bustle of Phuket yet very convinient with the buses running right outside the main entrance and putting you within an easy ride to the rest of the island.
GREAT food, wonderful pool, terrific service.
Good luck,
Homer

RE: 5 star luxury hotel on a 3 star budget

by templem

Try Marina Phuket. They have a range of accomodations and consistently fabulous reviews (see www.sawadee.com or www.r24.com -- or just google them).
I haven't been, but hope to.
temple

RE: RE: 5 star luxury hotel on a 3 star budget

by templem

Oops. I mean Marina Phuket Resort. Used to be Marina Cottages.

Comments