Pearl Hotel Phuket

Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 36% less but rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

• longweekend's Profile Photo

oh dear, what have I done ???

I thought I'd do the right thing, we were spending 4 weeks in Asia, and I was trying to make the $$ last so I had a look on the net and booked this budget hotel for our stay in Phuket Town. It was so awful - and it was all my fault ! The hotel hosted a "massage" parlour of the erotic variety, and the whole place looked like some Soviet built bunker from the Cold War - low, low ceilings, creepy long hallways, doors that didn't shut properly, odd little restaurant. That restaurant...no matter how early we went to breakfast , it was always all gone except for some bits of cold, plain boiled rice noodle, and a couple of hard fried eggs. My teenage daughter was in tears, I was in tears, my husband got sick of all the crying in the end and jogged up the street and booked us into a lovely hotel up the street and around the corner...

Unique Quality: Uhmmm, well, it was nice to sit on the fire escape steps and have a ciggie...

Directions: In Phuket Township

More about Pearl Hotel Phuket

Chinese Restaurant

by Cathy&Gary about Pearl Hotel Phuket Town

Each year we have a big family dinner with Mit, Wat and Bee from Patong Tattoo along with their families. We told the boys to choose the venue this time and that we were paying as they paid for everything last year.

The place they booked us into is the rooftop Chinese restaurant in the Pearl Hotel Phuket Town, plus all the food had been pre ordered by the boys the day before.

This was a very exciting night for us as we had not seen Mit and Wat's parents for nearly a year.

We ended up with 15 of us booked in for dinner, the boys had invited some of their friends including the owner of Sabai Beach Restaurant, an art teacher and our policeman friend Luang was there.

Now I am starting to think did we bring enough money with us, little did I know what was going to happen when we went to pay the bill! Bee and Wat picked us up from our hotel, in the back of the car they had bottles of good Australian wine and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black, this was going to be a big night ha-ha.

We both love Mit and Wat's parents, they both have worked so hard all their lives, mum packing fish and dad was a fisherman. Now the boy's look after them, they speak virtually no English so after a lot of hugging and kissing we sat down for dinner.

We had 2 big round tables joined so we could all sit together and then the food stated coming out.

It was amazing!

Each table had exactly the same food so what I am going to describe was done twice.

The first food to appear was Suckling Pig, I have never tried this before and all I can say is it is sensational!! Then there was Peking Duck, done the proper way of course, again a first for me. The first part of this dish is the very thin crispy skin with a little bit of meat which is eaten with pancakes, spring onion and hoisin sauce. Then there was duck soup made from the carcass.
I am not a huge duck fan but this was fantastic.

Already I am getting full, but there is a lot more to come, like whole roast duck, fish soups, vegetable dishes, rice dishes, pork and chicken dishes, whole baked fish and seafood dishes.
The amount of food was unbelievable and everything was mouth watering.

Now for the bill, Mit and Wat would not let us pay, so after some friendly arguing we saw that it was 15,000baht, not bad considering the amount and type of food that was ordered, plus there was some extra drinks and desserts. In the end we virtually forced them to take 10,000baht from us but they were not happy!

We also ended up taking about 6 bags of food back to the girls who work at the Tattoo Bar.
This was truly a fantastic feast and it was an honor to spend it with such a great group of people.

The next afternoon we called into Patong Tattoo to see everyone and Mit, Wat and Bee gave us each a Robinsons department store bag.

What is going on here!

Well it seems the money we put towards dinner they had gone and spent it on us. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful black Guess handbag and Gary a great Guy Laroche man bag. There were also presents from the boys parents, a gorgeous scarf and polo shirt for Gary.
It was a very humbling moment and we treasure our friendship with these wonderful people.

Comments