19 Sawasdirak Road, Patong, 83150, Thailand

More about Phuket

ShrineShrine

Rock CityRock City

Views from Hin Tang RestaurantViews from Hin Tang Restaurant

View from my chairView from my chair

Transport around Phuket

by GitaP

My husabnd and I are spending 7 days in Phuket in mid July and all my research is showing that for a South African ($1 to R 7.80) local travel is going to be exhorbitant. We are staying in Karon Beach and will probably want to go to Patong, Phuket Town and other local beaches and places of interest. I am thinking about hiring a cheap car that will cost about 900 TB per day. I have heard about the rather cowboy style of driving in Phuket but I live in Johannesburg and let me say that if you can drive here, you can drive anywhere, well maybe not Mumbai which is on another drivers planet altogether. Also its normally quieter (I hear) in July so maybe the local maniacs will be taking some time off? Is this a good idea? I really would appreciate advice since we would probably only want to go out and about 3 out of the 7 days.

by johnaalex

If you do decide to hire a car you should note that by Thai Law you should have an International Driving Permit - the hire companies may not even ask for it, but if you have an accident or get stopped by the Boys In Brown you could be asked for it. Also check the condition of any vehicle carefully as well as the insurance coverage. It can be cost effective to hire a driver for a few hours each day. If you look on my Phuket pages I have the details of a local driver who is very good and not that expensive. July is one of the quieter months as it is also one of the wetter months - heavy rains can add their own dimension to driving!

Please check my Thai pages for more tips.

Regards

John

by fireysteve

Hi Gita,
If you want to go to a nice Beach try Kata Beach. Its better for swimming and not far from Karron.
You can catch a Local bus to and from Karron - Katta for I think 20 Bht.
Patong Beach is no where as nice as Karron but is worth a look for shopping and Restaurants.

by GitaP

Thank you all for the tips. I have reserved a car from Dave Car Rental - a Nissan NV - anyone knows the company? It cost 700 THB per day so its cheap in comparison to a number of the quotes I received. Very weird becuase in SA you can get a new car for as little as R120 per day unlimited mileage with Comprehensive insurance cover. I'm beginning to be very appreciative of being SAfrican!

by cougar_df

Hi Gita,

My wife and I spent 5 days in Phuket (1st time there) last July, and we debated the same question about hiring a car. However, what we did was infinitely better in my opinion. We hired a driver for about 700 baht a day, and he would take us wherever we wanted to go. Not only was this hassle free, we only paid for the days we wanted to use him. Plus we got to experience the local bus service and tut tuts which made the holiday all that more interesting.

Travel Tips for Phuket

Thailand in May

by bulldogtwo

Yes you are just getting into the rainy season. It may not be too bad at that point but the winds may also be bad for taking water trip to the islands and for snorkleing/diving.
Tour operators will still take you. Use good judgement, if you think the seas are too rough and the boat crowded, be careful. Thailand has gotten much better in recent years about this issue, unlike many other asian countries. The wind and rains also hamper visibility for good snorkeling and diving. This is the month that many start to shut down for the off season and some islands such as the Similans shut down as well unitl November.
Having said all of this, I think you should still be able to do what you want to do without difficulty. These are just things to be aware of. You are in the off season so prices will be really good.
Have fun!

surf by yourself

by tangomango

I have been going to Phuket now for the last 4 years and intend to return again...One of the main reasons why i go to Phuket besides the obvious that it is a gorgeous tropical destination is that Phuket does have good surf(not great but good)and it is possible to surf good waves at my favourite spot alone or with just a few out.... I always travel anywhere and everywhere with my boards....It is possible to hire boards in Phuket but if you're fussy like me,then bring your own....Doesn't cost any extra,just a hassle carting your board around.....But you'll be so glad you brought your own trusty board when the waves turn on....

Morning Price

by stevemt about Most Places

Getting to the markets in Patong in the morning gets you generally a morning price which is discounted from the norm. This appears to mainy happen to encourage shopping in the mornings which can be quite dead at Patong prolly due to the heavy night life that many of the tourists seem to engage in while in the area.

Loud and Thumping

by heckendorfmortgage about Wave Nightclub

After everything in Bangla starts to wind down we found a place to dance in relative comfort into the early hours. The Wave nightclub had no covercharge in mid January when we were there. (how they stay open and serving drinks after 3am is a mystery).
Loud techno music.
There is a fellow with refreshing hot and cold towels working in the toilets. Neat and tidy unles you are an attractive female and then almost anything goes.

Rent-A-Car At David Car Rent

by sweetie_inc

We rented a 1.3 Suzuki Sport Jeep from David Car Rent and the price is reasonable.

When we reached Phuket Airport, it was raining heavily and we couldn't walk to the office (office was opposite the airport) so we called the office to enquire about the car rental and the lady actually got someone to fetch us from the airport to the office!.. That's great service!

The car is just right for 2 person and although there's a back seat, I think it's just too cramp for anyone to sit there.. We were quoted TB2900 (after 10% discount coupon that we got from their website) for 5 days rent...

The jeep was ok.... and it's very exciting to drive ard Phuket and u actually get to save alot of time and $$..

Comments