42/12-13 Moo 5 Rawai, Muang, Racha Yai Island, , Phuket, 83000, Thailand

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Racha

Sri Racha Tiger zoo

by catkin

Sri Racha Tiger zoo is about an hours drive from Pattaya is well worth a visit. They are running a breeding program for these beautiful creatures. I held a 3 month old tiger cub which was brilliant. Unfortunately I couldn’t keep it. Not only do they have tigers at Sri Racha but crocodiles, elephants, snakes scorpions. You can even order scorpion on the menu for lunch if you dare. Needless to say we didn’t.

Scuba Diving - Discover the hidden Paradise

by sukawats

Scuba Diving

When people talk about it, some may say it is expensive and dangerous.

Well they are almost right...

But think about it.. We, human, spending more money to study the universe than study the living cretures, which have been preserved and time freezed.

Just look at few of under water photos of islands near by Phuket and you may have change your mind.

Racha Island is located 20 kilometers southeast of Phuket. There are 2 Islands, Racha Yai and Racha Noi. In Thai Racha means king, and it does make lot of sanse because the underwater life around this group of islands are really outstanding. Even after the Shunami, things are not what it used to be but all the same breath taking.

PS. I left my number and email for those who want more details and what you have to do to get hook up with grest diving company.

scuba diving @ Koh Racha yai

by schwein

The diving in Thailand is great.

Warm water, good vis, and an abundance of things to see.
I've been before, and will come again...

We did 2 dives at Koh Racha yai. Saw eels, boxfish, an octopuss, and many other cool things...

Will definately do a liveabord in the Similans next trip to Thailand. I hooked up with www.seaking-diving.com / West Coast Divers before leaving.

A small operation, but has qualified, good instructors.
We got a great deal, with two of us doing our AOW through them for 11,000B each, including all books, equipment rentals for the equipment we didn't bring, and transportation/meals.

very good but the food...

by TripAdvisor Member bazzlounge

We stayed in the racha for 11 nghts in june 2006 and loved the hotel,the island and the staff!
Altough June is rainy season we had only 3 rainy days,all the other days plenty of sunshine!
The rooms at the racha are great the beach superb and the staff unique,the only negative point is the international food in the 3 restaurants,the thai food is perfect but please do not expect haute cuisine if you order an international dish!...we once had steak (25€/32$) with bearnaise sauce,the steak was ok but the bearnaise......I do not know what it was but definatly not bearnaise...,more like an icecreamsauce with parsley,as dessert we got profiterolles that tasted like plastic ...the chef is german and I do not know wich hotelschool he went to but they have to close that school!
Anyway we payed 5000bath (++) per night for b&b and that is the best price/quality we ever had in any hotel in the world!

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member karinli

Ko Racha is a dream - away from Phuket, white beaches, blue water, good snorkelling, few hotels. The Racha is a really nice hotel, considering that you have to transport everything from the mainland they are doing a great job. Scenery is stunning and the design of the hotel very stilish. Other than other reviewers we were very, very happy with the food. Just delicious! My boyfriend still misses the great beef sandwich they made....

The only downside we noted was the service. The room was only made late in the afternoon, there was no one at the pool to order food or drinks (you have to get it yourself at the restaurant, as well as the towels), they forgot the voucher for our SPA treatment. These are small things, but I guess in a luxury hotel you can expect them to try a bit harder.

nice but pricey

by TripAdvisor Member Col&Nicky

The Racha is set in a beautiful spot and is a lovely resort with very friendly staff. The snorkelling is quite good. However, the extremely high prices for food (which was average), wine, boat rides to mainland and spa treatments with everything supplanted with a 10% service charge (including buying a polo shirt) became a little annoying over the course of our stay.

Absolutely Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member ILuv2Travel

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights at the Racha. Firstly, it is important for us to tell you about ourselves. We are 35 years of age and have travelled the world extensively. We have extremely high standards and frequently visit 5/6 star resorts, including Fiji, Maldives, Tahiti, Hawaii, Carribean.

We were so impressed with this destination that it is now our favourite. It takes a lot to impress us so please listen to our review. You will not be dissapointed with The Racha.

Firstly, in our opinion, any room category you choose here is exceptional. We chose the deluxe villa with pool and feel that this is was the best choice. In the extreme heat, having your own pool is a blessing. However, the other 2 pools are absolutely stunning! You have to see them to believe it!

Each and every staff member we encountered was extremely polite and treated us like royalty. Their smiles are delightful. Be warned, they do not speak much english, but this is easily fixed by sign language and pointing to items on menus.

Every meal we ate was exceptional, especially the Thai food. Previous reviews mention that the western food is average. We beg to differ! Portions were adequate and quality was of a very high standard. We do however recommend that you eat Thai food for lunch and dinner. You are in Thailand, and besides its healthy & sooo aromatic.

Skip the wine list altogether as the prices are ridiculous. Go for the lovely cocktails or take your own wine.

The day spa is something to behold! I have experienced an underwater spa in the Maldives and The Racha's spa was much more attractive. It is an absolute pleasure walking around it. The treatments are a little more expensive than what we expected but we didn't mind paying to be in a such a pleasant environment.

The architecture and interior design of this resort is extremely modern and minimalist. It is stunning! It not only suits couples for a romantic getaway, but families would love it too. There is no kids club or babysitting, but this is not necessary. Children would be happy playing on the beach, collecting shells, snorkelling, swimming etc. Not that you see other children, or anyone for that matter. The resort is so quiet and private.

However, if you feel the need to mingle, the Ice Bar after dinner is fantastic. The resident band are amazing.

The only complaint we have is (as mentioned in previous reviews) that the floating jetty is a nightmare. Nothing can prepare you for this! We arrived in bad weather and rough seas so the only way to tackle it was on all fours! On departure, the sea was calm. This made no difference. It was still a nightmare. Trust me - They cannot do anything about this problem so you just have to deal with it. It's worth it.

We believe that all of the best places in the world are difficult to get to. Yes, the transfers (long winding limo ride, uncomfortable bumby speedboat etc) to the Racha were not enjoyable, however now that you know what's waiting for you - you will also realise that it's well worth it. Stay for at least 6 nights to experience all restaurants and pools properly.

Definately book the "Full Board" option. It's a bargain! After constantly adding up the prices at lunch and dinner, we were pleased to know that we came out on top.

Enjoy.

stunning design, very relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member StefanNL

We stayed in the Racha for a week and had a great time. De design is absolutely stunning, the villas and all the mayor buildings (and the lightning of them!) are beautiful. Staff is very polite and helpful and there is enough to do on the island. We were very lucky with the wheather and especially enjoyed the pool at the sea side. The sea itself is in this season not very nice, but the beaches at the other side of the island are very clean, calm and perfect for snorkelling.
The limousine and boat trip are very good (I thought the boat trip was actually quite exciting!).
The restaurants could be better though. The rates at the pool restaurant are to high, the food at the beach bar is awful, only the Earth Grill with good Thai food is a plus. This week they will open a new restaurant at another bay of the island, looked very nice, hope the food wil be better.
And unfortunately we thought the massages at the spa were very expensive. The free gym is very nice, though.
Overall: A very relaxing stay at a beautiful setting.

Racha Yai

by bijel

"Racha Yai the Safehaven"

Where I saw a blue spotted ray on my first dive! And this largish moray, with its mouth wide open, trying to snap up some of the little fish that were milling around its mouth. Gee, wonder what its mouth smells like to the other fish - food? They just keep hanging around waiting to be eaten, there must be some aroma about it...We took a boat there from Chalong Bay. The truck (a larger and less comfortable version of a tuk tuk) took us to the head of the pier where we took another bus with no doors to the end of the pier, where we took a small dive boat out. One toilet boat. Quite nice, nevertheless. You've seen it in the other pictures.

"Travel Babes"

Here we are, all 7 of us on the trip. Myself, Wei, and Jo, the mistressmind of the entire trip, who did all the planning for us and everything. We told her she should do this full-time. She's really good at it, and does it with a lot of style. Anyway, Jo's the one first left. Lisa's next to her, then Wei, myself, and Julie, and Esther. Last but not least, there's Emma, whose pink hat flew into the water minutes before we took this.

"The Weather was Alright"

For our first dive on the first dive day, the weather was fine - we got some sunlight in the day, and the waves were not excessive, although Diego did go around offering all of us seasick pills, telling us if we didn't take them then he wasn't gonna give us any later when we regretted it. I thought he was just pulling my leg, trying to be funny, but apparently, you can't take seasick pills when you feel like throwing up because it will make it a fact, not a feeling. Yikes. There aren't any side effects anyway, so I took one just for kicks - not that there were any! We haven't dived since February - that's been about 6 months? Somehow it all came back, though.

"Ready to take the Plunge"

This was the first time we'd ever had a picture taken in our full Scuba attire. This time, we wore half suits, which were a lot easier to put on than the full suits that we wore in Mauritius. They're a lot lighter but for some reason I felt I looked really short and stumpy in them. Well, then again, I always look stumpy next to Wei with the long legs that don't end. We finally figured out the weights we should use are about 3kg. Is that what everyone wears anyway? I don't know

"First Plunge off the Platform"

You think it's just stepping into the water but sometimes, you can be afraid to do that, although after it's done and you find yourself floating in the water, it really doesn't feel like anything. Right hand on the regulator and the mask, left hand on weight belt, or the underwater camera, when you take one with you. Wait till the previous diver clears the water right where you're plunging into. Then you're all set to descend.

"Clear Soup"

Not exactly broth. Diving conditions were quite quite fine for the first dive - actually for both dives on the first day. Visibility was about 10 metres? The sun was shining so we actually got a tan even while we were in the water, but the effect was minimal, of course. I do love diving.

"The Friendly People who Took us to Sea"

I think they're with a few different dive schools. There's some alliance going on with the dive schools. They pool their resources - like instructors, vans and boats and equipment. It's interesting how the system works, almost perfect competition. And I think that it's quite a good life. Well, anyway, if I'd a choice I'd take a few years off my life to be a dive instructor in some exotic places like Palau or something and lead the beach, sun and sea life.

"Yikes!"

Asking Diego to take a picture with me became him taking me over his shoulders! This was in the boat itself, when it rained and we all ran in to seek shelter from the cold wind and the wet on the way back to Chalong Bay after we finished the 2 dives for the day. It was freezing, actually, because I hadn't brought a towel and getting out from the sea meant you were blow-drying in the sea wind. It's coooooooooooold!

Diving Racha Yai

by trisanna

My husband, Rodan 44 and i went to Phuket for a weekend due to the cheap Tiger Airways deals. On saturday, we were able to do two dives off of Racha Yai-about a hour to two hour boat ride off Phuket. Wasn't sure what visibility would be, since it was monsoon season. Plus when we came up from our second and final dive it was raining.

Each dive was around 30-40 minutes and went down to maximum depth of 20 meters. Since we don't have a ton of experience, it was nice just to get the dives in. Hopefully there will be more Tiger deals in the future-so we can do this again. We learned it best to stay near Patong, Kata, Karon beach or near the south, since most of the dive boats depart from the south. We stayed near Nai Yang beach, north of the airport and it was too long of a drive. Over a hour, i think.

Koh Racha YaiKoh Racha Yai

clownfish, Racha Yaiclownfish, Racha Yai

lionfish, Racha Yailionfish, Racha Yai

me at Racha Yaime at Racha Yai

by shcp

Hi All,

Has anyone stayed at The Racha ( Racha Yai Island ) that could give me some feedback on this resort ?. I am planing a honeymoon for November this year and this place looks perfect. I basically would like to know if it does look as good as the brouchers show ( as i know some places don't ) and what the weather would be like for this time of the year .

Thanks,

Suzi

Re: The Racha

by norrie8568

hi there,
i worked in phuket for 5 years,just returned last year,,not exactly sure of the location,,problem with island life is the fact theres not a lot to do,,,there are numerous lovely locations in phuket,,you can always visit the islands on day trips,,check out,,fab and funky guide to phuket,,my mates travel site,,hell help with any queations,,and knows all the top hotels,,
regards
paul

getting to ko racha

by marina53

Anybody knows how to get to ko racha (near Pukhet) It seems that only package tours (expensive day trip) are available. I mean to get a public boat from the pier and stay overnight, as long as I need. The way we usualy do all over Thailand .I do not want to charter a private boat. Any idea?
Thanks Marina

How to get to Racha?

by teho

Hi there! I would like to know if it's convenient to get a taxi from Phuket airport to Chalong Bay and hop on a speed boat to Racha Yai? I'm travelling on 4th Jan, which is the peak season.

I would like to arrange for the transportation when I get to Phuket but am unsure if that's safe.

Cheers!

Re: How to get to Racha?

by Bobbee5

No problems with taxi. As you leave baggage collection and pass through doors there is a taxi booking booth. Fixed fares, pay your money and your taken to your taxi. I use it all the time - safe as houses.

Re: Re: How to get to Racha?

by teho

Thanks Bobbee! Any idea abt the speed boat? Wonder if I could book one in phuket too.

Re: How to get to Racha?

by wads

yehit should cost 600-800 baht no problem

Re: Re: How to get to Racha?

by wads

book it with the travel agent in the airport

Comments