Muang Tai Hotel

Travel Tips for Surat Thani

Surat Thani

by phil_uk_net

"Surat Thani"

There isn't a great deal in Surat Thani to attract tourists. My boat from Koh Tao arrived there in the evening and after several hours at sea I didn't feel like jumping straight on a bus so stopped for the night. I wandered around the night market that evening and left the following morning.

After the artificial nature of tourist orientated places Surat Thani is a stark reminder of the real Thailand and a further reminder that it is still a developing country. Cockroaches crawl across the pavement and cats investigate dead rats in the street. However, I found the local people to be very friendly due in part, I think, to the fact that not many tourists stay here. Most travellers just use Surat as a staging post travelling to and from Koh Samui.

There are night markets but even though I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to food there were only a few things I could bring myself to eat!

My evening was rounded off by witnessing a serious motorbike accident. The Thai rider may have been dead - I waited as he lay unconscious with blood pouring from his head until the ambulance arrived.

Comments