Nakshbandi Bukhara, 73, Bukhara, 705000, Uzbekistan
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Bukhara

Sacred watersSacred waters

On guardOn guard

Now, say after me ...Now, say after me ...

Textile traderTextile trader

Travle from Ahgabat to Bukhara

by Lizzel

In September I will spend some days in Usbekistan and have some questions. Maybe somebody can help me.
First, I have t travel from Ashgabat to somewhere in Usbekistan on the 14th of September and don`t know if that is possible, best to Tashkent. Then I am thinking about a guided tour through Usbekistan, just because I am unsure wether it is possible to travel on my own (single female.
Can anybody help me with tipps how to cross the boarder and with guided tours leaving wether from Tashkent - better even from Bukhara (then i `would`nt have to travel all the way up from Ashgabat to Tashkent.

Thanks a lot
Lizzy

Re: Travle from Ahgabat to Bukhara

by Morozov

Hi Lizzi!
Ask your questins to Uzbek tour company "Uzforyou"
They arrenged my tour to Uzbekistan (Tashkent - Samarkand - Bykhara - Khiva).
I enjoyed too much.
Good Luck
Oleg

Travel Tips for Bukhara

Learning together

by TheWanderingCamel

The old dilemma of should we or shouldn't we give children small things such as pens and pencils was resolved by everyone in our group contributing to a parcel of school materials to be given to a local school when we reached Bukhara, the city where our Uzbek travel agent had their office. We were delighted when she told us the school had invited us to visit them, and intrigued when we learnt it was the junior section of the Jewish school we were to see.

The school is situated right in the heart of Bukhara's historic old city, just around the corner from the Synagogue and not 100 metres from the ancient mulberry tree-ringed pool of the Lyabi-i-Hauz. The senior school is in a seperate building nearby.

Until Independence the school was solely a religious institution but became a secular school in 1994. It was certified by the Uzbekistan school system in 2000 and is now officially known as School 36. Although only about 50 families of Bukhara's once considerable Jewish community remain in the city, the school has an enrolment of some 160 children aged from 5-16. Not all the pupils are Jewish however. A resurgence in the desire for their children to learn Russian among some non-Jewish parents has seen some opting to send their children here as most lessons are conducted in that language. Attendance is free of charge with support coming from Israel and the Joint Distribution Fund All the children learn Hebrew from an early age and Jewish history is also included in the curriculum. English lessons start with the move to secondary school. A huge sign in Uzbek, Hebrew, Russian and English on the wall leading in from the street door proclaimed "Good Luck to the Knowledge World" and the Uzbek and Israeli flags hung together in the courtyard.

We visited a class of 10-11 year olds having their daily Hebrew lesson, were greeted in English by one bright lad, listened as they sang to us in Russian and in Hebrew and then were invited to look at their workbooks. The school's director then arrived from the senior school where she had been taking a maths lesson and we then spent some time in conversation with her - with three teachers, a school science technician and an historian in our group there were plenty of questions! Unfortunately, our bus was waiting to take us on the next leg of our journey and we couldn't accept her invitation to visit the senior school. Searching around on the Internet for references to the school, I found a few pieces, the most recent dating from 2004. The picture they paint of the school is rather different from what we found. A few years ago the school seemed a rather sad place, shabby and run down, with little hope of a future. I can't say that's what we found. It may not stack up to much compared with Western schools but the classroom was bright and clean with basic supplies, the teacher young (her 3 year-old was sitting in on the class), the children were lovely and the Director quite dynamic. Having an opportunity to visit was a really great, something we all enjoyed and we came away feeling we had received every bit as much of a gift as those we had taken with us.

Siyavush - the founder of Bukhara

by josephescu

Persian prince Siyavush who built a citadel here shortly after marrying the daughter of Afrosiab in Samarkand, is the traditional founder of Bukhara, but its growth has for centuries depended largely upon its strategic location on the crossroads to Merv, Gurganj, Heart, Kabul and Samarkand.

The early town was taken by the Persian Achaemenids in the 6th century B.C., by Alexander the Great in 329 B.C. and by the empires of the Hephalite and the Kushan. In Sogdian times the town was known as Numijent and later renamed after the Sanskrit word for monastery, vikhara.

Old Town

by nepalgoods

Bukhara has a very beautifull Old Town with many fine Mosques and Medreses, which are newly renovated. But most of the big buildings are not used any more. So a big part of the Old Town looks like an openair-museum. The covered bazaars of 16th and 17th century are now big souvenir bazaars. In the bazaars the tradtion of trading is still alive in the dark shops. But if you step away from the tourist paths than you'll find narrow paths with old houses and working mosques. Bukhara offers many places to explore on your own.

People of Bukhara

by toonsarah

Even more than elsewhere in Uzbekistan, I remember especially the warmth of the people of Bukhara, so this tip is dedicated to them, including:
~ the children who clamoured to have their photos taken on the back streets of the city (see photo 2 and my Uzbekistan page for the full story)
~ another group of children, playing games outside the Kalon Mosque
~ the family of this scarf-seller (photo 3) who tried so hard to work out where we trying to go and give our taxi driver directions
~ the family at the Hotel Mosque Baland, who looked after us so well, with candles during the power cut, a cake for Georgina’s birthday and green tea whenever anyone wanted it
~ the friendly waitress who hurried to turn on the fans in the welcoming courtyard of the Silk Road Spices Café

How many days to plan for Bukhara ?

by Trekki

Now how many days should you plan for Bukhara ? As I am living in Germany with that unbelievable amount of 30 plus days to spend for holiday per year, I don't really think about tight time schedules.

But let me give it a try:
Bukhara can be visited in 1 day, provided the visitor is used to seeing-all-in-1-day visits. But this implies minimum 1 night stay, better 2 nights.

For a one day visit, I would suggest the following tour:
Start early and visit:
Chor Minor (the most important sight east of Lyab-i-Hauz),
then walk westward to Zindon,
visit the Ark,
continue with Bolo Hauz Mosque and Ismail Samani Mausoleum.
Walk back along Kaylon Square to Ulughbek and Amir Aziz Khan Medressa.
From there, walk back to Kaylon Square, it should be late afternoon by now, so you can get marvellous photo opportunities of Mir-i-Arab Medressa near sunset time.
Then continue to the Taq-i’s for some shopping.
Finish your day at Lyab-i-Hauz, sip some tea, have some shashlyk and let the atmosphere fill you.
Or enjoy one of the evening performances in Nadir Diwan-Begi Medressa . However, I highly recommend a minimum of 2 days, or even 3, if time permits. The city is just too beautiful and offers so many relaxing places to race through it in only one day.

For better viewing, I have enclosed 2 GoogleEarthMap shots, how the above mentioned walks would look like (scale included: length equals approx. 500 m).

Comments