Tashkent Hotels

Our Members Say

• NessaVoss profile photo NessaVoss
  • Reviews: 3

Hotel Malika, Tashkent: Wonderful hotel with peaceful chai khanas

The Malika might be away from the Tashkent city center, but there are always taxis situated across the street ready to take you into town for 2000-3000 som. So don't worry- stay here any way.

Most of the staff speaks English, the rooms are clean with good bathrooms and pretty decor. I expected to sleep on a bed that felt like a rock, since the price was not too bad. But I slept like a baby.

The best part? In the back they have a few chai khanas tables, so you can have a breakfast of eggs, beef hot dog, tea, sweets and cheese and relax to the sound of water and birds. Then go get stressed out in the town center! hahaha

Also, the basement has a nightclub/bar where I saw some Afghan singers and a Bollywood dance performance. Awesome!

I recommend this place 100%. Make sure to remind them for your "proof" that you have stayed stamp. Uzbekistan requires you have a stamp in your passport that shows what hotel you stayed at.

Chai Khana, Quiet (inside and outside), live Afghan music, Bollywood show, friendly staff that knows English.

The picture is of me outside eating breakfast in a chai khana at the Malika

• Written June 4, 2010

Malika Chai Khana

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3495

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Grand Raddus: Comfortable 3 star choice

This is a comfortable small three star hotel in a good location to the south of the city centre. It’s particularly convenient for the airport – a big plus when your flight arrives at 3.30 in the morning, and you need to check in for the departure to Urgench at 6.00 AM! The staff speak some English and are friendly and helpful. There is a pleasant courtyard with a small pool (which we didn’t find the time to try).

Our room wasn’t large but was clean and nicely decorated, although I smiled to see the painting of the sea above the bad in this double land-locked country. We had a TV (didn’t try that either!), safe and should apparently have had a minibar, but unfortunately ours seemed have been removed for repair, which was a shame as it meant we also didn’t get the promised complimentary bottled water. The bathroom was also nice, and well-provided with large (for a 3* hotel) towels, but less so with toiletries, and the shower cubicle would have given anyone larger than us some difficulties as the entrance was very narrow.

The included buffet breakfast is served in a dining room with plasma screen TV showing Uzbek MUTV (thankfully with no sound!) or if you’re lucky a news channel. We had bread, cheese, cold meats, sausage, eggs, porridge, refreshing apple juice (had to ask for this in the second day as none had been put out), water melon, dried fruits and nuts, plus instant coffee. The same dining room also serves meals at other times of day – we had lunch here on our first day, with some tasty cheese, black bread and olives – with sparkling water this simple meal cost 7,700 som, or about £3 for both of us.

Cost quoted on website: single room $45, double room $60 - I think you could get this price down though

The hotel is just off the main road in a quiet and very safe-feeling residential neighbourhood. We went for a short walk to explore and were greeted with friendly smiles. It was good to get a sense of the styles of housing and way of life here. We also felt very safe walking back from the Caravan Restaurant in the evening, even after dark.

• Written September 16, 2007

Pool at the Grand Raddus

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2343

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Famous Ali Guesthouse :-))))

Ah, famous Ali Guesthouse ! Who did stay here, knows what I mean. When I was researching accomodation for my first days in Uzbekistan, Ali Guesthouse did sound good, first from VT experience and also from his website and e-mails, we did exchange before my travels. He promised pick-up from the airport, and what I did see on his website was nice.
Well, it still was nice, but special. The driver was at the airport and brought me to Ali’s, but due to flight delay (we left Frankfurt almost almost 4 hours later than scheduled) it was quite late when I arrived. And did not have any Uzbek money. Ali was already in bed and so I only did meet him next morning. He was (is) very friendly, funny and offered a huge breakfast, Uzbek style with plov, nan bread and marmelade. And then he offered vodka. Ok I thought, drank one, drank two, and somehow, it is hard to resist Ali when he has the “ahh, one more” mode. I think, after the 5th I stopped, while Ali was still insisting. No need to mention that I was more lurching than walking when I went to the bazaar afterwards.
But apart from this habit to offer everyone vodka, Ali is a very nice and generous person ! He even lend me 10.000 som to keep me going until I found a place to change money ! His family is wonderful as well, his wife adorable.

Rooms are nice and spacious, and quiet too, as the street is in a quiet environment. Rooms are equiped with bathroom (shower and toilet), water is hot and available 24 hours.
The house itself is also lovely – they have a huge pool (see pic) inside, which they use to cool the watermelons and drinks. All very much green, also along the stairs.

It is 20 min. to the next Metro station (Kosmonavtlar) and 20 min. to one of the main streets (Usmon Nosir). The Museum of Applied Art is just around the corner and a lot of small restaurants are on Yusuf Khos Khodi Street.

Prices: 15 USD per person per night.

Coordinates on GoogleEarth:
41°18’04,43’’ N; 69°15’26,73’’ E

(caution - his website below is incredible slow)

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written October 5, 2006
Tip Photo

Ali's Guesthouse - the caravan is arriving :-)

• mayafly profile photo mayafly
  • Reviews: 103

Private homes: Homestay

I stayed with a host family while in Tashkent, and it was a great way to meet locals and see how Uzbeks live. My host brother, Jalol, was a university student with excellent
English and a much wider knowledge of Hollywood movies than my own (I think I was a bit of a disappointment). My host sister Feruza had dreams of becoming a pop star and a room plastered with Britney Spears and Eminem posters, proving that 15 year-old girls are the same the world over.

I found my family through an acquaintance(this was a private home, not a business). They fed me three meals a day, took me out, did my laundry, helped me make phone calls... We played games together and watched Uzbek TV together. And in the end, they didn't even want money from me (although when I paid them, I saw how much food my dollar could buy!). It was a really great experience, and made my stay in Tashkent very enjoyable.

N.B.: Many Uzbek families would probably be welcome some extra cash in exchange for a bed. However, registration may be an issue. Everyone is required to register their visa in Uzbekistan, and theoretically, you need to have documentation for where you stayed each night. If you stay in a hotel, they will fill out a registration slip with the dates that you are in the hotel. You need to have this paper on you in case you get stopped by the police and when you leave the country. Because my homestay was not offiically sanctioned, I was supposed to go to OVIR, the office of visas and registration to register as staying with this family. But OVIR can be a huge pain, so instead the family got an acquaintance to 'register' me at a local hotel (she had a bunch of fake registration slips) for the duration of my time in Tashkent. I had to pay her a nominal fee. I was never asked to show the slip, but it was probably a good idea to have it, just in case. From my travels in the former Soviet Union, I have found that in spite of all the red tape, the laws are nowhere near as strictly enforced in reality as they are on paper.

Unbeatable for learning about local customs and how locals live.

• Written December 19, 2004
Tip Photo

My host 'mom' and 'brother'

• Wanderboy43 profile photo Wanderboy43
  • Reviews: 169

TARA HOTEL: Bargain of the Millenium

I'm putting up another thumbs up for TARA (TAPA Hotel). The bed is hard, the building is old, but it's only 2500! ($2.50) for your own room. The staff is friendly, and the location is fine, though I bit hard to find (see photo for sign on building!) The water is hot (in shared bathroom) and bathroom and toilet are clean - bring your own toilet paper of course). Also it DOESN'T smell, and the sheets are clean. .

This place cannot be around for much longer. My kind of place!

Directions:
Take the metro to the last stop 'Sobir Rahimov'. From there you walk about 7 minutes. There is a TRAM line which you should follow (TRAM #17). It's a little hard to explain, but you should walk back 1 block from the direction you came on the METRO, and then cross the busy street from the Metro station. There you should see the overground TRAM tracks, which you should follow. The hotel is the middle of a cluster of 3 apartments with blue/green tile on the right after 10 minutes walk (GPS N41 15.703 E69 11.301)

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 19, 2004
Tip Photo

It CLEARLY says "TARA" Are you blind?

• RB_Oakes profile photo RB_Oakes
  • Reviews: 195

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Tara: Backpacker Ghetto

Everybody travelling on the cheap ends up at Hotel Tara because of the price (currently 2500 sum - $2.50). This may lead some to be overenthusiastic about what you get. I got a four-bed dorm all to myself. The locks are big but the door frame falling apart so the locks are irrelevant as anyone who wants in can get in with a good bodycheck. The bathrooms are standard Russian-style with seperate toilet and shower. It's strictly a BYOTP operation. Location is great if you want to catch an early bus out of town, or are arriving by bus late at night. The rooms are stinkin' hot in the summer (mine never went below 30C)

Uniquely low price is the only real attraction. The staff are helpful, mind you. But overall, it's budget joint. And the building seems to have been a factor in my health troubles in Uzbekistan.

• Written August 25, 2004

• RB_Oakes profile photo RB_Oakes
  • Reviews: 195

Grand Orzu Hotel: A Great Intro

This three star facility was my introduction to Uzbekistan. I ended up there as part of my deal to get a visa invitation letter, through Dolores Travel. It has a pool, bar (try the local Gambrinus microbrew on tap if you can), A/C and all the other mod cons you'd expect. Service is great, English is the standard language. It's popular with tour groups so they can get booked out. I paid $30 per night but the list price is $40. Very worthwhile for this calibre of accomodation. Don't pay more than $5 for a cab there from the airport - it's a short trip but they'll try to squeeze $10 from you nonetheless. Even $5 is a lot by Tashkent standards.

The pool is great for early morning swims. They have movies (in Russian, which is silly because the vast majority of guests I met are English-speaking) every night outside in the courtyard. Excellent service across the board and a nice spread at breakfast. Try the kaymak with honey (ask the server what the kaymak is if you don't know).

• Written August 21, 2004

• chrisvandenbroucke profile photo chrisvandenbroucke
  • Reviews: 1149

Hotel Tara: Tashkents Best

Very good room with four beds, towels and clean linnen
Shower and toilet are shared but are very clean.
Small terrace to hang your washed goods.
Only 2300 sum per person

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written February 5, 2004
Tip Photo

My friend Jaak asleep in our oom

• chrisvandenbroucke profile photo chrisvandenbroucke
  • Reviews: 1149

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Hadra: Tashkents Dirtiest

Gruesome entry.
Cheap (we thought) at 6 US $ per person.
You get a reasonable clean room but there's a shared bathroom outside which is disgustable. There's no running water so you can imagine the smell.
There is a bath but without running water...
The Pakistani Restaurant (good according the Lonely Planet) is vansihed.
See a later Tashkent tip for a better place

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 5, 2004
Tip Photo

Hadra is the second block from the right

• Backpackin_Mac profile photo Backpackin_Mac
  • Reviews: 85

Tara Hotal (TAPA in Russian): Inside the TAPA hotel

To give more of a feel for what you get for your $2 here is a photo from inside our room.

There is an amazing story about the man in the picture. We met him when we stayed at a hostel in Cairo in February 2002 where we spent many nights drinking Vacki and playing backgammon well into the night. We said our goodbyes and Mari and I flew to Japan whereas Ronan planned to see the rest of Egypt.

In July 2003 as we were leaving the Tara hotel to get some dinner a very smelly and tired frenchman walked in holding on to a Naan. He had just travelled Bishkek-Osh-Tashkent with only a rest when he was changing transport. This man was of course Ronin, who we hadn't contacted in 1 1/2 years.

That is one of the joys of travelling. When you meet people on the road you will probably meet them again.

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written January 8, 2004

Ronin, Mari, Kuri

• Backpackin_Mac profile photo Backpackin_Mac
  • Reviews: 85

Tara Hotal (TAPA in Russian): Cheapest hotel in Tashkent

This hotel costs 2300 som ($2.30) for a bed. If it is not busy you will get the room to yourself. The hotel is run by old Russian ladies who speak no English. A young woman who works there occasionally speaks a little English.

The rooms can be quite hot in summer but are bearable. In the kitchen you can order simple cheap Russian food at dinner time.

Near to the hotel are some very good places to eat. One (next to the mosque) is run by Uigurs and you get huge portions of Uighurs style Laghman. Very tasty.

• Related to: Backpacking, School Holidays, Budget Travel
  • Written December 13, 2003
Tip Photo

Can you find the hotel sign?

• gaolei profile photo gaolei
  • Reviews: 288

I stayed at the Sheraton. A...

I stayed at the Sheraton. A typical 5 star property in a third world location. Everything was wonderful, but expensive. Breakfast is 22 USD, a beer is 9 USD. The reception girls make 25 USD per month. Where is the justice? It seems like the poorer the local economy, the higher the prices in the hotels.
165 to 250 USD per night

Great receptionists, nice jazz bar, unafordable beer!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written August 25, 2002

• lotharlerch profile photo lotharlerch
  • Reviews: 907

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Two "Soviet Classics"

In 2000 I stayed in two places. The one was the hotel of the Cabinet of the Ministers - I was there with an official delegation - which was an incredibly lousy value for 65 USD per night.
The other was - upon my own - the Hotel Tashkent opposite the Navoi Opera Theatre, one of the top locations of Tashkent. I enjoyed the unique experience of a dying former Soviet hotel with a Dezhurnaya on every floor and the lobby filled with crowds of uniformed and plainclothe police, second class 'bisnessmeni' and other folks with not identifieable functions but plenty to unlimited time. Everything is extremely worn down, the doors of the rooms can be opened with sufficient patience with virtually every key. There is the opinion that Apartheid has finished with the changes in South Africa but here it seems to be perfectly alive. Different reception desks for Uzbeks and Non-Uzbeks (although on both only Uzbek and Russian is understood), different breakfast rooms and - of course - different rates.
There are rumours that the hotel is already bought by a German and probably soon will be there something completely different and very expensive.
My third experience was Hotel Shodlik Palace - see next entry.

• Written August 24, 2002