Hotel Islambek

60 Tashpulatova Street, Ichan Kala, Khiva, Uzbekistan

Satisfaction Poor

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Hotel Islambek – nice, central and clean

I was quite happy that the taxi driver who brought me from Urgench airport suggested this hotel. He said that Hotel Lolita (Hotel Lola now), which would have been my choice, was closed for renovation.

Hotel Islambek is fairly new (cannot be older than 1 year or so), and is located in the northeast part of Ichon Q'ala, so a bit off the main streets, which makes it also relatively quiet in the evening.

The rooms are big and clean, with air-conditioning, bathroom (shower and toilet), and daily service if wanted. A friendly family runs the hotel; the father does not speak English, but the son does, he helps wherever he can.

The best of all is the breakfast – oh my god ! Wherever I was later in Uzbekistan or Tajikistan, I never had such a huge amount of different variety on my breakfast table :-) They served ayran (the yoghurt-water drink), freshly squeezed juice, nan bread, sausage, cheese, marmalade, different corn-flakes, and even real milk !!!!!

Unique Quality:
    For the other meals – they don't have a restaurant, but they offer dinners in the patio. You should register, however (tell them in the morning if you want to have dinner). From what I saw, excellent as well, many choices and ... many alcohol as well (so much for no alcohol in Uzbekistan, haha).

Price was 15 USD per night. Well, this was the only downside, but I don't blame them.... If I don't ask for the real price, I have to pay what someone (in this case the taxi driver) told me. Later I have heard that it should be between 8 and 10 USD per night (and person).

(I didn't take pictures... don't know why, so I "stole" one from their website with the exact location. And their homepage has pictures of the hotel and rooms, which are good = they don't exaggerate)

Directions: Khiva, old town, 300 m north of east gate. See picture for exact location.
    Coordinates on GoogleEarth: