Amara Saigon Hotel

stickingsticking

Cu Chi Tunnels Tour in the afternoon

by bibini

Hi

Anyone know whether Sinh cafe offer Cu Chi tunnels tour departing in the afternoon? Or any other tour agency had afternoon tours of Cu Chi?
Such tour offered by private guide is abit too expensive for a budget traveller like me.

Thanks

by mikeinvietnam

Sinh Cafe changed their name to The Sinh Tourist due to many copycat agencies using the same name. Their new web site is http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/

What time of day would you be ready to board a bus in the backpack area? Not sure but there may be different departures for weekdays and weekends.

by bibini

I am thinking of touring Cu Chi on 13 Aug, Fri. I can leave my hotel in District 1 at say 1.30pm or earlier. Are there buses to go there and how long is the journey?

Is there any guide at Cu Chi to brief us on the history etc if I go by bus and do not join tour?

Thanks

by mikeinvietnam

There is a city bus (I think it is number 31) that goes to the main bus terminal in Cu Chi town and then you must transfer to another bus to get to the tunnels. Buses generally leave Saigon bus terminal every 20 minutes or so. the bus terminal is across from Ben Thanh Market. It's under 30 cent USD to the Cu Chi terminal and maybe 25 cents to get to Cu Chi tunnels from there. Keep in mind that these buses are very old and due for replacement in a couple years. A/C may or may not work and they can get quite hot if it's not working. I took those buses on a field trip with my students two years ago. Once you are finished with the tunnels you might be able to catch a tour agency's bus in the parking lot for the ride back to Saigon. Offer the driver a few dollars on the side to see if he has room for you. Otherwise you will have to take the reverse trip back on city buses. If you choose this city bus route you should have a VN who speaks English tell you the bus numbers to catch in Saigon and also at the Cu Chi terminal, as well as the last bus departure from Cu Chi Tunnels. If I recall, it's a two hour ride to Cu Chi, but not sure. Maybe your hotel can help you with some details.

If I get downtown to the backpack tour agency area I can look for a modern bus tour that leaves for Cu Chi that is closer to your schedule and post my findings back here. I'm fairly sure I'll be there Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of this week. But I can't promise yet.

by georgelondon

i had a private guide organised by hotel continental and found it very reasonable. the guide was a young student with very good english.

the cu chi tunnels was definately one of the highlights of my saigon trip.

try the snake whiskey at cu chi!! woo hoo!

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

Currency risk

by Tenzin

I changed Sing $ to Vietnamese dong at a supposedly good rate of S$1 to 8900 dong in Singapore. To my horror I discovered that I could very well have done the same at the HCMC airport at S$1 to 9500 dong, a whopping difference of 6%! To add insult to injury Hotel New World gave me 9700 dong to a S$1.

Unlike the Thai baht which is freely available in Singapore, the Vietnamese dong is not commonly held by money changers and that could have accounted for the high margins charged.

Do note that the exchange at the hotel is only one way and the conversion from dong to US$ at the airport is a steep commission of 9% or so for amounts less than US$1000.

Do avoid changing money at the roadside with touts and change only what you intend to spend. At the casino US$ is the preferred currency and most credit card transactions charge in US$ too.

Nice buildings in Cholon

by SirRichard

Neither in the Cholon (Chinese) District found I the nice old atmosphere I was waiting for. Only in a few corners (like this) you could find the old charming architecture I though was so characteristic in Saigon...

Half is In

by neurochic

Before I reached Vietnam I was terrified by the reaction I may receive from the people who live there being half Vietnamese and half American. But let me tell you if you are half Asian you have nothing to worry about. I was crazy to be scared. What I came to discover as I traveled throughout Asia (including Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam) that many of the actresses and singers are half Asian just like me. If you are half Asian and shy you will find that sometimes it can be uncomfortable walking down the street because many of the people stare at you because of your looks. I don't know how many times I was asked when I was in Asia if I was half Asian and told how beautiful that is. When I was in Asia, I even called my younger brother who is 6 feet tall but half Asian like me and told him, heck if college doesn't work out, he could always come to Vietnam and be a soap opera star.

Chinese Art

by Unknownsu

The following 3 photos are cloth posters I bought off a walking salesman. The posters just captivated me when i saw them. I had a friend haggle for me and dropped the price almost 50% totaling 5USD for all three. You just can't go wrong with that!

Cu Chi Museum

by keeweechic

At the Museum at Cu Chi, there were some pretty horrific means of defence like the spikes put in the pits and covered. The spike ends were covered in poison. Fairly primitive but effective means against the more sophisticated defences of the Americans. Nearly 3 million Vietnamese were killed, 4 million others injured and over 58,000 American army men died in the war.

Comments