Bich Duyen Hotel

Tags

Women's Travel Backpacking Singles
See Amenities
annase's Profile Photo

Very nice little budget hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 16, 2013

I liked the location of Bich Duyen because it was located along a quiet side street. It was also less noisy than another hotel where we stayed called Graceful Saigon. Both hotels were located in the so called 'backpackers district', which was pretty good location-wise, although a more upmarket area could have possibly been more quiet (e.g. the area on the other side of the main market).

Although this hotel was not located right along a busy street I got woken up every morning around 6.30am because of the traffic (motorcycles and cars honking their horns and people shouting) in Saigon kicks off around that time and it is pretty noisy due to the sheet amount of it. I have never seen so many motorcycles anywhere in the world! On the other hand, it could have also been due to my jet lag; I just could not go back to sleep once I got woken up - despite wearing ear plugs.

The hotel itself was really clean and nice. I had a very positive experience, even though we were on the 5th floor and there was no elevator. The male receptionists who spoke really good English carried our bags upstairs, which was really nice of them!

There was a nice, simple breakfast at the hotel which included a glass of fruit juice, banana, hot drink, fried or scrambled egg and white foot-long baguette (legacy of the French).

The hotel also was happy to organise a trip for us to the Cu Chi tunnels - definitely worth a visit and indeed we booked our Cu Chi tunnel trip through the reception.

A delight in every way

by written on January 12, 2012

Was there, seeing in the New Year, as part of a family of 8, from 4yrs to 70years of age. Having just been to Munich and a stay at the Grand Westin Munich, we know what 5 stars is all about. This place is far beyond 5 stars. The people have a kindness and generosity that defines the best of Vietnam. They could not have been more gracious. This, rather than luxury, is the heart of hospitality.
If you want your money to speak for you, more elegant places are easily found. If you want the human connection, no better can be found.
Their prices could easily be higher, but the good will so evident there is beyond price.

Unique Quality: The alley in which the hotel is located is a charmer. How unlike North America. Right away we knew this was going to be good.
Great location. Could (and did) walk all over Disrtict One in our 4 days there.

Directions: District 1, handy to everything!

A delight in every way

by written on January 12, 2012

Was there, seeing in the New Year, as part of a family of 8, from 4yrs to 70years of age. Having just been to Munich and a stay at the GrandeWeston Munich, we know what 5 stars is all about. This place is far beyond 5 stars. The people have a kindness and generosity that defines the best of Vietnam. They could not have been more gracious. This, rather than luxury, is the heart of hospitality.
If you want your money to speak for you more elegant places are easily found. If you want the human connection, no better can be found.
Their prices are too low, though.

Great locatio n. Could (and did) walk all over Disrtict One in our 4 days there.

Directions: District 1, handy to everything!

guezz007's Profile Photo

READ THIS! THERE'S CURFEW, NOT FOR NIGHT PEOPLE

by written on November 9, 2011

READ THIS! THERE'S CURFEW, NOT FOR LATE NIGHT TOURISTS

If you expect the doors of this hotel to be open 24/7 and NO TIME RESTRICTION in entering and leaving, please look elsewhere. There are better and cheaper 24/7 hotel with staffs serving you around the clock. Had I knew that the gates will be closed by 1am, I would not considered staying here. Note; I have read many reviews before choosing this place, but none mentioned about this curfew (I guess most of them do not stay out late like me).

As a paying customer, I should have the freedom to ENTER and LEAVE at any time I want, comeon, I am suppose to be on HOLIDAY! I felt like a child. This hotel should INFORM all guests that a CURFEW is in place within their policy.

Done, enough of all neg stuffs. To be fair to this business, most of the positives remarks left here are pretty accurate. I love the Big clean room, morning breakfast, friendly staff, well almost everything! Should there be no curfew, I will stay there again. I feel it's fair to leave a positive remark because they are truly good; However, for implementing a curfew, you failed.

A word of advise to the hotel staffs/management/owner who happen to read this. PLEASE INFORM all guests that a CURFEW is being implemented before check-in them in; It is their right to know.

If do not mind being restricted to ENTER or LEAVE at any night, Everything else are great.

Unique Quality: Everything is great and feels like a 3-4 star hotel. EXCEPT the CURFEW.

pa3ciamiranda's Profile Photo

Cheap and Safe Stay in Saigon

by written on April 8, 2011

The manager Chanh is suuuper nice, kind and hospitable! I remember borrowing a lighter from him which I forgot to return! Ooops. So I decided to write this tip as a way of giving back.

Bich Duyen is great because they gave me the best rates for changing dollars. Plus Chanh is very, very HONEST! I remember that this one time I had my money changed and Chanh accidentally calculated the wrong amount (in my favor!)... when we found out later that the rates changed, he insisted that I keep the excess since, according to him, it was his mistake. I insisted on returning the difference (it wasn't that big, but still) since I didn't want him to feel that I was taking advantage but he was very nice and insistent about it. Also there was this one other time when I was finally settling my final hotel bill I miscalculated and gave him the wrong amount! It was so embarrassing because of the language barrier I couldn't understand what he was saying. But he was very patient in explaining the math involved (in fairness to me, I was calculating in three currencies) and when I finally understood what he was trying to explain we just had a good laugh about it and I paid the proper amount.

I'd also leave my stuff either with him or in my room without fear. Like I'd be gone the whole day and when I'd get back my room was exactly the way I left it (not usually the case in other cheap hotels, inns and hostels). Nothing missing.

Also he's suuuuper funny and likes to crack jokes. And when street vendors would start bullying me into buying their vietnamese commemorative lighters whenever I'd have my early morning smoke in front of the hotel, Chanh would actually rush out to shoo them away! My hero!

He really made my stay in Vietnam great and comfortable. I'd definitely stay here again the next time I vist!

Unique Quality: Great currency exchange rate, even cheaper than in banks. The rooms are simple but I got the one with the balcony. Nice to people watch or enjoy the night air. The rooms are clean and the pillows are fluffy. And free scrambled eggs (with lotsa bell peppers! yum!) and juice/coffee in the morning! Really simple fare but freshly cooked. Also, very generous with second servings if they see you're still hungry.

Thanks for a lovely stay, Chanh

by written on February 5, 2011

Chanh made our stay in Saigon. When travelling to Vietnam we decided not to take a 15 day tour but rather work our way around and hopefully see a bit more and be able to afford to stay a bit longer. We were therefore on the lookout for hotels conveniently located with 'supportive' staff. This choice did not disappoint. Chanh made us feel safe and welcome, cautioning us without scaring us, always ready with a smile and arranging whatever we needed whether it was tours, laundry, drivers etc and all at incredible value. Thanks Chanh, we hope we will see you again one day.

Unique Quality: Spotless hotel with fantastic staff and manager

JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

HCMC's hidden gem

by written on May 15, 2008

I'd strongly recommend Bich Duyen Hotel, 283/4 Pham Ngu Lao Street. This is right in the middle of the backpacker area, but in a quiet little alley away from all the noise. Very relaxed atmosphere and we slept soundly!

Stairs are fairly steep, but we asked for high up so we could get some city views. Their contact is +8488374588.

Be careful when you arrive at any hotel. Touts from other hotels will run up and guide you to their establishments without you even realising you've been intercepted!

Many sights are within walking distance of Bich Duyen. Things to see are Cholon (China Town), Cha Tam Church, the pagodas (Phuoc An Hoi Quan, Quan Am, Thie Hau, Son Hoi Quan etc.), Ben Thanh Market, People Committee Building (Hotel de Ville), Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, Post Office (inside), War Remnants Museum, Reunification Palace, and Mariamman Hindu Temple.

Unique Quality: The manager at the Bich Duyen, Chanh, is from the Mekong Delta and shares the friendliness of the people down south. Allways ready to assist with inquiries, he does not tout for business, which is a rarity in Vietnam!

Chanh is on duty for almost 24hrs seven days a week! Does not matter what time we returned to the hotel, Chanh would be there to welcome us back.

Directions: Backpacker Area

miapuspa's Profile Photo

Budget Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 5, 2008

Located in an alley in Pham Ngu Lao area, it is a small, clean hotel, run efficiently by a helpful manager, Chanh. Reservation can be made by sending email to bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com . Transportation from and to the airport can be arranged from the hotel. Rate on April 2008 is USD 25 nett. Room is clean, with satellite TV and hot water for the bathroom. No elevator and no late check out. They can keep your luggage, anyway. One computer is provided in the lobby for free internet access.

Unique Quality: Located in backapacker area

Directions: In an alley in Pham Ngu Lao area

Great budget hotel.

by written on March 8, 2008

This hotel is fantastic, steps are a bit steep, if you're not used to climbing steep stairs this will give you a workout hehe. Chanh is wonderful and will help you out whenever he can. Juice (cumquat... delicious) is there for you when you arrive and if you sit down for awhile. Breakfast is included and consists of egg, bread roll, banana & juice (tea or coffee if you prefer), if that's not enough for you, there's cheap restaurants everywhere around here. It's addressed as being on Pham Ngu Lao St, but it's just off of it, in a little lane with lots of other hotels (didn't think of taking a pic of the lane or the hotel). We are saving already to go back to Vietnam (with the kids this time) in a couple of years or so, we will stay here again if there's a enough room, it was such a wonderful place, made our stay in Vietnam even more enjoyable (if it could get any more so). Don't be afraid to ask Chanh for help to find places or where to go for services/restaurants etc, he's more than happy to help if he can.

Directions: When on Pham Ngu Lao, there's a big park where buses/taxis are always parked in front, across the road, between hotels there's small lanes, this lane in particular has a small sign above with all the hotels listed on it, you'll find it no problem.

Bich Duyen Hotel

• Hotel Bich Duyen

Address: 283/4 Pham Ngu Lao, 1 District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

7 Photos of Bich Duyen Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Bich Duyen Hotel

• Free High Speed Internet

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Forum

Need advice about Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Ho Chi Minh City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ho Chi Minh City hotel reviews

Reunification Palace
Off The Beaten Path
A lesson to all
Things to Do
A new unique designer jewelry shop in town
ArchitectureMasterpiece Saigon Notre DameCathedral
An Old Nice Building!
Independence Palace-Must-stop in Ho Chi Minh City
All about Historical Monument Cu Chi Tunnel
Saigon Post OfficeThe Beauty Cross Three Centuries
La Cantina - has gone downhill 2015
Jollibee
Restaurants
a cornucopia of general tips
Ho Chi Minh airport # 152 Bus