283/4 Pham Ngu Lao, 1 District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Agoda.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

• annase's Profile Photo

Decent and nice budget hotel

I liked the location of Bich Duyen because it was located along a quiet side street. It was also less noisy than another hotel where we stayed called Graceful Saigon. The hotel was in the so called backpackers district, which was pretty good location wise although a more upmarket area could have possibly been more quiet such as the area beyond the main market.

Although this hotel was not located right along a busy street I did wake up because of the traffic every morning around 6.30am. It could also be due to jet lag. I just could not sleep once I woke up even though I was wearing ear plugs.

The hotel itself was really clean and nice. I have nothing but positive experience about it even though we were on the 5th floor and there was no elevator. The male receptionists who spoke really good English carried our bags upstairs, which was really good of them!

There was a nice simple breakfast at the hotel which included a glass of fruit juice, banana, hot drink, fried or scrambled egg and white foot-long baguette (legacy of the French).

The hotel car organise trips to Cu Chi tunnels and elsewhere. WE booked our Cu Chi tunnel trip through the reception.

• A delight in every way

Was there, seeing in the New Year, as part of a family of 8, from 4yrs to 70years of age. Having just been to Munich and a stay at the Grand Westin Munich, we know what 5 stars is all about. This place is far beyond 5 stars. The people have a kindness and generosity that defines the best of Vietnam. They could not have been more gracious. This, rather than luxury, is the heart of hospitality.
    If you want your money to speak for you, more elegant places are easily found. If you want the human connection, no better can be found.
    Their prices could easily be higher, but the good will so evident there is beyond price.

Unique Quality: The alley in which the hotel is located is a charmer. How unlike North America. Right away we knew this was going to be good.
    Great location. Could (and did) walk all over Disrtict One in our 4 days there.

Directions: District 1, handy to everything!

• A delight in every way

Was there, seeing in the New Year, as part of a family of 8, from 4yrs to 70years of age. Having just been to Munich and a stay at the GrandeWeston Munich, we know what 5 stars is all about. This place is far beyond 5 stars. The people have a kindness and generosity that defines the best of Vietnam. They could not have been more gracious. This, rather than luxury, is the heart of hospitality.
    If you want your money to speak for you more elegant places are easily found. If you want the human connection, no better can be found.
    Their prices are too low, though.

Great locatio n. Could (and did) walk all over Disrtict One in our 4 days there.

Directions: District 1, handy to everything!

• guezz007's Profile Photo

READ THIS! THERE'S CURFEW, NOT FOR NIGHT PEOPLE

READ THIS! THERE'S CURFEW, NOT FOR LATE NIGHT TOURISTS

If you expect the doors of this hotel to be open 24/7 and NO TIME RESTRICTION in entering and leaving, please look elsewhere. There are better and cheaper 24/7 hotel with staffs serving you around the clock. Had I knew that the gates will be closed by 1am, I would not considered staying here. Note; I have read many reviews before choosing this place, but none mentioned about this curfew (I guess most of them do not stay out late like me).

As a paying customer, I should have the freedom to ENTER and LEAVE at any time I want, comeon, I am suppose to be on HOLIDAY! I felt like a child. This hotel should INFORM all guests that a CURFEW is in place within their policy.

Done, enough of all neg stuffs. To be fair to this business, most of the positives remarks left here are pretty accurate. I love the Big clean room, morning breakfast, friendly staff, well almost everything! Should there be no curfew, I will stay there again. I feel it's fair to leave a positive remark because they are truly good; However, for implementing a curfew, you failed.

A word of advise to the hotel staffs/management/owner who happen to read this. PLEASE INFORM all guests that a CURFEW is being implemented before check-in them in; It is their right to know.

If do not mind being restricted to ENTER or LEAVE at any night, Everything else are great.

Unique Quality: Everything is great and feels like a 3-4 star hotel. EXCEPT the CURFEW.

• pa3ciamiranda's Profile Photo

Cheap and Safe Stay in Saigon

The manager Chanh is suuuper nice, kind and hospitable! I remember borrowing a lighter from him which I forgot to return! Ooops. So I decided to write this tip as a way of giving back.

Bich Duyen is great because they gave me the best rates for changing dollars. Plus Chanh is very, very HONEST! I remember that this one time I had my money changed and Chanh accidentally calculated the wrong amount (in my favor!)... when we found out later that the rates changed, he insisted that I keep the excess since, according to him, it was his mistake. I insisted on returning the difference (it wasn't that big, but still) since I didn't want him to feel that I was taking advantage but he was very nice and insistent about it. Also there was this one other time when I was finally settling my final hotel bill I miscalculated and gave him the wrong amount! It was so embarrassing because of the language barrier I couldn't understand what he was saying. But he was very patient in explaining the math involved (in fairness to me, I was calculating in three currencies) and when I finally understood what he was trying to explain we just had a good laugh about it and I paid the proper amount.

I'd also leave my stuff either with him or in my room without fear. Like I'd be gone the whole day and when I'd get back my room was exactly the way I left it (not usually the case in other cheap hotels, inns and hostels). Nothing missing.

Also he's suuuuper funny and likes to crack jokes. And when street vendors would start bullying me into buying their vietnamese commemorative lighters whenever I'd have my early morning smoke in front of the hotel, Chanh would actually rush out to shoo them away! My hero!

He really made my stay in Vietnam great and comfortable. I'd definitely stay here again the next time I vist!

Unique Quality: Great currency exchange rate, even cheaper than in banks. The rooms are simple but I got the one with the balcony. Nice to people watch or enjoy the night air. The rooms are clean and the pillows are fluffy. And free scrambled eggs (with lotsa bell peppers! yum!) and juice/coffee in the morning! Really simple fare but freshly cooked. Also, very generous with second servings if they see you're still hungry.

• Thanks for a lovely stay, Chanh

Chanh made our stay in Saigon. When travelling to Vietnam we decided not to take a 15 day tour but rather work our way around and hopefully see a bit more and be able to afford to stay a bit longer. We were therefore on the lookout for hotels conveniently located with 'supportive' staff. This choice did not disappoint. Chanh made us feel safe and welcome, cautioning us without scaring us, always ready with a smile and arranging whatever we needed whether it was tours, laundry, drivers etc and all at incredible value. Thanks Chanh, we hope we will see you again one day.

Unique Quality: Spotless hotel with fantastic staff and manager

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

HCMC's hidden gem

I'd strongly recommend Bich Duyen Hotel, 283/4 Pham Ngu Lao Street. This is right in the middle of the backpacker area, but in a quiet little alley away from all the noise. Very relaxed atmosphere and we slept soundly!

Stairs are fairly steep, but we asked for high up so we could get some city views. Their contact is +8488374588.

Be careful when you arrive at any hotel. Touts from other hotels will run up and guide you to their establishments without you even realising you've been intercepted!

Many sights are within walking distance of Bich Duyen. Things to see are Cholon (China Town), Cha Tam Church, the pagodas (Phuoc An Hoi Quan, Quan Am, Thie Hau, Son Hoi Quan etc.), Ben Thanh Market, People Committee Building (Hotel de Ville), Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, Post Office (inside), War Remnants Museum, Reunification Palace, and Mariamman Hindu Temple.

Unique Quality: The manager at the Bich Duyen, Chanh, is from the Mekong Delta and shares the friendliness of the people down south. Allways ready to assist with inquiries, he does not tout for business, which is a rarity in Vietnam!

Chanh is on duty for almost 24hrs seven days a week! Does not matter what time we returned to the hotel, Chanh would be there to welcome us back.

Directions: Backpacker Area

• miapuspa's Profile Photo

Budget Hotel

Located in an alley in Pham Ngu Lao area, it is a small, clean hotel, run efficiently by a helpful manager, Chanh. Reservation can be made by sending email to bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com . Transportation from and to the airport can be arranged from the hotel. Rate on April 2008 is USD 25 nett. Room is clean, with satellite TV and hot water for the bathroom. No elevator and no late check out. They can keep your luggage, anyway. One computer is provided in the lobby for free internet access.

Unique Quality: Located in backapacker area

Directions: In an alley in Pham Ngu Lao area

• Great budget hotel.

This hotel is fantastic, steps are a bit steep, if you're not used to climbing steep stairs this will give you a workout hehe. Chanh is wonderful and will help you out whenever he can. Juice (cumquat... delicious) is there for you when you arrive and if you sit down for awhile. Breakfast is included and consists of egg, bread roll, banana & juice (tea or coffee if you prefer), if that's not enough for you, there's cheap restaurants everywhere around here. It's addressed as being on Pham Ngu Lao St, but it's just off of it, in a little lane with lots of other hotels (didn't think of taking a pic of the lane or the hotel). We are saving already to go back to Vietnam (with the kids this time) in a couple of years or so, we will stay here again if there's a enough room, it was such a wonderful place, made our stay in Vietnam even more enjoyable (if it could get any more so). Don't be afraid to ask Chanh for help to find places or where to go for services/restaurants etc, he's more than happy to help if he can.

Directions: When on Pham Ngu Lao, there's a big park where buses/taxis are always parked in front, across the road, between hotels there's small lanes, this lane in particular has a small sign above with all the hotels listed on it, you'll find it no problem.

More about Bich Duyen Hotel

i loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member jeica8

i just came back from bich duyen yesterday and all i can say is that i loved it!

my room was on the 4th floor , so it was hard to climb up there
everyday but it wasn't that bad

this hotel is in the heart of where everything is..
1minute away from the main road but not noisy at all!!!

the guy at the front desk helped us with our luggage, bookinb the
tour, getting calls from my friend(since i was out most of the times)...he was so sufficient!!

ok...so in conclusion... bich duyen.. is
close to everything.
very very clean.
cheap.
comfortable.

Good Value Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member EmilioLeeds

If you are looking for a basic, cheap place to stay in Saigon then this hotel is a good choice.

It is on a nice quiet street, but a very short walk to restaurants, shops and a park.

The room was reasonably clean and had a fan, air conditioning, TV and a shower. It was a small room, and had no daylight (the only window looked onto the corridoor) - so it's not perfect but for £6 a night you can't really complain!

Chanh who runs the place is very friendly and was always more than happy to help us.

If you like luxury then don't come here, but if you want a cheap hostel then I think it would be difficult to find anywhere as nice as this for the price.

Great Value, Excellent service Chanh!

by TripAdvisor Member PinkSnow

I booked four rooms here for three nights for our group of 28-45 year olds after reading reviews online. It was an excellent welcome for our first few days in VN. Everyone was pleased with Chanh, whose English was excellent and was ALWAYS there to help. Email communications with Chanh could not have been better.
You'll need your own toiletries like soap etc. but they are easy to get. Towels and toilet paper were supplied. The location could not be better and quiet too. For the price, you get value for money: a very clean, trustworthy and friendly place to stay. Thats after 3 weeks of staying in different hotels in VN, of varying prices and quality.

We would definately stay here again unless we wanted luxury style accommodatuon and was planning on staying in the hotel all day rather than go site-seeing etc.

Great Staff, nice location, quiet in HCMC

by TripAdvisor Member GlenLivet

Excellent little hotel in an excellent location. It is across the street from the main bus stop near the back-packers area. It is a short walk to the Ben Thanh Market, Notre Dame cathedral, & main post office. All services (internet café, restaurants, banks, etc) are near by. The train station is a 15 minute taxi ride (50,000 VND) and a short moto drive to Cholon and the Majestic Hotel. There are lots of motos and taxis available in the area. The hotel has free internet computers in the lobby and free wireless. The free breakfast is simple (baggets, coffee, fruit, juice) but very good. The rooms were nice and clean and fairly roomy with air conditioning, a fan and clean bathrooms with shower. The location is a bit hard to find as it is down a small alley with 10-15 other hotels (see picture), but this does make the hotel very quiet compared to the ones located right on the busy Saigon streets.

The great advantage of the Bich Duyen is the manager, Chanh. He is a wonderfully outgoing energetic individual who seems genuinely willing to do anything he can to make sure you have a great stay. He speaks excellent English and is fun to talk to. Chanh essentially functioned as our travel agent arranging a trip to the Mekong Delta as well as purchasing our train tickets to DaNang and arranging transportation to the train station. We paid for all of this on one bill at the end of our stay. Chanh is a very special person.

The only drawbacks that I can think of is that it is rather tricky to find at first and the steep stairs (with no elevator) might be a problem for some older travelers or those with some limitations. This was typical of most hotels in the area.
This is a great little hotel and a great value.

Great, cheap hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Clawdia78

This is a fantastic place to stay, we didn't have a problem with anything (maybe the 4 flights of stairs were a little much for the first couple of days, but not complaining, for the price I didn't care). Chanh is wonderful, he will help you whenever he can, he booked our day tour, he booked our tickets to Siem Reap (we left our stuff we'd bought in our room the entire time we were gone and they were safe as), he told us of good places to eat etc, he couldn't get anymore helpful. Some people have said the beds are hard, but they're no different to how our bed is at home (Australia), I actually slept better there than I did here. I can't wait to go back, but I don't think we'll be able to stay here with the 3 kids (not enough room), although we will try. It may be cheap, but that has nothing to do with the service, cleanliness and quality (5 star) of this place.

Great service

by TripAdvisor Member disneyfanca

We stayed at Bich Duyen hotel for 4 days and we were very happy with the room, the service and the manager. The room and bathroom were clean. The manager and the team's service were friendly and excellent. We could not ask for better place to stay.

Comments