Bong Sen Hotel Saigon

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• clymanotis's Profile Photo

Very nice downtown hotel

Very good accommodations right downtown. Across the street from the Sheraton, but less money. Doorkeepers open the door for you as you approach the entry. Very good coffee shop on the ground floor. Restaurant and bar on the 7th floor, with outdoor rooftop seating available. Next door is the German Beer Garden, with a nice menu. Within walking distance of the VinCom shopping center, the opera house, post office, American Embassy, Bien Thanh Market, Saigon Center, Saigon Square, the Tax Bldg, and a myriad of smaller shops.

More about Ho Chi Minh City

Bui Vien Street HCMCBui Vien Street HCMC

City HallCity Hall

Bitexco Financial TowerBitexco Financial Tower

crab-claws roasted with saltcrab-claws roasted with salt

holiday lets

by salieri60

Hello,

I would like to spend 4-6 weeks in vietnam, based in HCMC.
A good hotel would be far too expensive , I think; is there an alternative? Are holiday lets popular over there? Any suggestion/contact?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

by daawgon

I suggest using the inexpensive small hotels and guesthouses, as I do in Vietnam ($15.-$25.) I would visit Saigon for a few days, but I would not base myself there. You should travel around the country and see the Delta, Central Highlands, Central Coast, Hanoi (especially interesting) and NW Highlands. You might find my blogs interesting since I travel inexpensively - spending no more than $45.-$50. a day: http://sea2009b.travellerspoint.com

by mikeinvietnam

Out of curiosity, what is a lets or holiday lets? Maybe if I know I can possibly answer your question, plus learn a new term to me.

by salieri60

Hi,

for holiday lets I mean holiday apartments/rooms, either serviced or unserviced, which are let weekly and/or monthly.

by NYTim

It is a short term rental in a furnished apt.

by mikeinvietnam

There is a furnished apartment building about 2k from city center where a friend recently rented a furnished large one bedroom, living room, kitchen and bath for $500 a month. Smaller rooms rent for about $350. Probably the cleanest building I've been in Saigon. Everything seems great about it except it faces a Catholic church and bells rings at 6am daily. His unit faces the church but other guests in the back of the building only hear the ringing faintly. Despite the bells I'm considering moving into the place myself when my current lease expires in a few months. It has a beautiful garden terrace on the top floor with bar, hot tub and outdoor cooking area. They do rent by the month or weeks, which is surprising for this nice of a building. Prices are slightly higher for short term stays versus one year contracts. I think it's in district 3. I would say it's definitely worth consideration for your needs. What are the estimated dates you will be visiting Vietnam and I can check on availability. I think my friend took some photos of the place. If it's of interest I can forward you further information and pics by email.

by AnnieNguyen

when will you come from?
you can click here and see some Grace apartment's pictures which Mike said.
if can't. sent Grace apartment email to ask some information.
apartmentptt@gmail.com

by AnnieNguyen

thank you to introduce my apartment in here Mike.

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

try to escape :-)
for sure...

by utttz

try to escape :-)

for sure this town has a lot of interesting thing to offer, but if you've not plenty of time, my simple suggestion is to spare the time for the rest of this fantastic country. not actually a place related memory: but nothing can outdo the joy of meeting again a dear friend after two years

Get out and wander the...

by travelmad478

Get out and wander the streets! There are relatively few established tourist sites in Saigon, and getting a real feel for the city involves walking and cyclo-ing through its neighborhoods. We did a lot of wandering around, during which time we were approached by dozens of Vietnamese people--not all of whom were just trying to sell us something. In 1996, foreigners were still a relatively infrequent sight in Vietnam, so people were almost as interested in us as we were in them. This man decided that he should leap into the photo I was taking of my friend Kathy at the central market. I think his presence adds something...

Don't Touch the Head!

by machomikemd

Never touch anyone on the head as this would be considered as a personal insult to the individual and perhaps even to his ancestors. Many Vietnamese believe the spirit resides there. Hence, the belief that if a person is beheaded, his spirit will roam forever without finding a resting place. Also, don’t touch anyone on the shoulder. Some people believe that a genie resides there and it is undesirable to disturb him. If you mistakenly touch one shoulder, you must also touch the other shoulder and this helps offset the bad luck.

Taste Raw Litchi-Scented Honey

by bpacker

How would you like to dip your finger into a gooey honeycomb, complete with swarming bees? This chappie did that to me before way before I could say , " holy mother of all bees.."
Well, the good news is that I still have my finger and the bees were too engrossed in their sticky dance to bother about a fat projectile destroying their dancefloor.
Raw, Litchi-scented honey stuck to my fingers and they tasted oh-so-heavenly...The month of May or late April is Litchi-flower bloomin' season and the bees would carry the scent of the flowers to the honey. Hmm, I bought a bottle of this honey later for $2. How could I resist?
Well if this experience appeals to you, go insure your finger first and sign up for a Mekong Delta trip that includes a visit to a bee farm.

For more wierd stories and pictures, visit b'packer's hcmc page

Souveniers...

by sweetie_inc about Stores & Markets

I was walking around the city when I came across this souvenier shop.. Full of ships handicraft & it's cheap..

Bought a wall clock for only US$10 and some fridge magnets at 3 for US$1..

But I can't remember where are the shops.. It's somewhere near Hai Ba Trung.. Souveniers at cheap prices.. From US$1 onwards

Comments