35 Mac Thi Buoi St., Dist.1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Agoda.com Asiatravel.com Travelocity

More about Dong Do Hotel

Local Hotel is okay

by minhphat01 about Local hotels around town

I think going to big and famous Hotels is just a bit wasteful for most budget travels...
And I think I'll burn my cash that way after I win a lottery or something. :)

You can hit Rex Hotel with a minimal room for $65 USD.....however, local hotel with very decent rooms and accommodations can cost at least half, if not a fraction of that.

I stayed at Rang Dong Hotel in Saigon last time for $15 USD pernight with double beds and everything else needed in the room (fridge, shower, bathroom, TV, Fan, Remote controlled A/C, Cushy beds, nice lightings, phone...etc, etc). Rang Dong Hotel is across Tao Dang recreational park entrance. The street in front of the Hotel was sooooooo festive at nights when live concerts were held.....I love it.

Dong Phuong II hotel in Nha...

by Gypsy_Saskia

Dong Phuong II hotel in Nha Trang.
Rooms from USD 6-20, most of them with seaview. Very friendly staff, clean and good rooms, very cheap breakfast (even free for the more expensive rooms).

Dong Khoi strict

by dinhyen

The area around Dong Khoi street in District 1 is the main lodging area for tourists. There are many restaurants, shops, Internet cafes, bars in the area that cater to foreigners. My friend had a double-occupancy room at the Lotus Hotel for $30-40/night. Across the street from it is an interesting bar/foot massage parlor combo.

A base for exploring Hue.

by worldkiwi about Dong Loi Hotel.

The Dong Loi Hotel in Hue was well situated, but not one of my favourite accommodations in Vietnam. It's amazing what impression a hotel can make on one's overall feelings about a city. I found the staff here to be quite unfriendly and uninterested. The rooms were very basic and even though I had expected a budget hotel, compared to the other budget hotels I had stayed in, this was overpriced. Another sign of the quality of this hotel was the breakfasts. They were very poor. I would not recommend this hotel, unless you could not find anywhere else to stay in Hue.

hotel for budget traveler

by kicktool about mario hotel near dist 5

Only with 25USD per night, walking distances to chinatown market near au dong street, that's will be another choice of shopping beside then the common market that most people emphasis.most of local chinese people will shop their daily necessary, and many good food can found surrounding there.Au dong plaza, seems good to be explorer too..enjoy shopping and dont forget to utilize your bargain power at vietnam. clean and neat room, not much other facilities provided, in fact we only get a average hotel to rest and bath.

Before you check-in, you need...

by l_joo

Before you check-in, you need this, it's called Vietnamese DONG. The exchange rates is about 1U$D to 15,000 DONG. About rooms, mmm...I would say, Okay, quite nice, very very Chinese style. Prices okay too, can bargain hard with them. The one we stayed in Nha Trang was memorable because the room is on the roof top, we can sit and relax looking here there. That was sixth floor without electrical-lift, that's why nobody wants to climb up there. We were the only room, so yahoo! We washed our socks, clothes, etc hanging on the roof top, what a room, nice. Cost only U$6.00

We stayed in several places...

by crompton

We stayed in several places around the country, but I can't find a matchbook cover for any of them. Most were campgrounds or bed and breakfast, and sometimes it was so beautiful at night, that we just slept under the stars.
Dong and MPC's at the time we visited. The average cost was about $4.00US for a night. Add another $4.00US for a bedwarmer. Again, the prices are quite reasonable. Some facilities were better than others, but spartan. Towels and soap were frequently available.

Tuy Hoas guesthouse

by funky_pigeon about AI CUC

This motel was a very pleasent stay with friendly staff, and rooms which were very clean and provided for all eventualities.

For the price the accommodation was very resonable and in the central part of Tuy Hoa The rooms could come with great views over the harbour but these rooms are few and you would probably have to book.

Rooms at 120,000 dong

Nice hotel

by uss_yorktown about Vien Dong

I stayed 8 nights and enjoyed it very much. There are a lot of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. Friendly english speaking staff. Although very near Benh Tanh market I did not go there. Went to Binh Tay in Cholon (District 5) instead. And we rented a motorbike which was very nice. Don't be scared, just use your common sense.

Pham Ngu Lao Area (Saigon)

by SirRichard

Pham Ngu Lao area is to Saigon what Khao San Road is to Bangkok: a BACKPACKERS's Paradise!
Here you will find hundreds of cheap (from 5 USD/night) pensions, guesthouses and private rooms.
The 3-4 streets of the area (around Pham Ngu Lao street) are full of travel agencies, cheap food places, nice bars & terraces full of travelers, supermarkets... all U need to survive!
Besides is not far from the old centre, you can go walking to the Le Loi & Dong Khoi areas.

Dong KhoiDong Khoi

An Dong InteriorAn Dong Interior

Vietname Dong (VND)Vietname Dong (VND)

Vietname Dong (VND)Vietname Dong (VND)

getting dong

by olivegroves

are there any cash machines to withdraw money ( visa card ect) and can i exchange thai baht for dong?

by mikeinvietnam

Many ATMs are located in big cities and towns. But there are limited locations for competitive money exchange. If in Saigon City Center, District 1, you will find a few money exchange shops offering a decent exchange rate for the most part. One little quirk here is that new bills are most preferred. Even a slightly soiled bill can be rejected, as well as torn or taped bills.

by Eggboy

ATM's all over the place. Can't miss them>

by betska

If you need an ATM machine when you arrive at the airport, we could't find one in the international terminal (although there are money exchange booths) but if you walk to the domestic terminal, there are ATM'S there. Plus that's where you can pick up the local bus into town.

by wabat

Rate at the exchange desk at international Airport is as good as it is in town.

by crazy_rachie

Hi there,
Not sure if this helps but my hubby and I are travelling to Vietnam soon I bought a lonely planet guide and according to that there is an ANZ at Me Linh Sqaure near the train station and there's also an HSBC on the road called
D Nguyen Du, we're Aussie so they're banks we use regularly and these are both within the Dong Khoi area of Saigon.

: )

by mikeinvietnam

As of recently there was only one HSBC main office with an ATM. I think due to WTO, the central bank had to allow foreign banks to install ATM machines in numerous locations. Now HSBC ATM's are popping up everywhere around Saigon and maybe around the country as well. I'm able to close my Vietcongbank account now because of this.

Buying Dong

by Unique82

Is it possible to buy V dong outside Vietnam, or can you only buy in Vietnam?

by Travel_kat

I think it is best that you buy Dong when you enter Vietnam. The ATM's in Vietnam will give you the possibility Dong or US dollars. I think this depend on the kind of card you ar using. Tourists can also use US dollars to pay hotels, tours, even restaurants.

by sandman78

On a similar note, you should get rid of all of your dong before leaving Vietnam... I got stuck with over $40 US dollars in dong, and could not get them changed back in Indonesia, Japan, or the U.S., making them practically worthless!

by lotharscheer

You can buy and sell Dong at some moneychangers in Kuala Lumpur airport, probably in many other south east asian towns as well

by locbuuloc

As in Australia, we can buy Vietnam Dong at airports. However, the exchange is so much lower compared with the one in Vietnam. For example, last time we were in Melbourne airport, the rate was 1 $ AUSD = 8000 VND and when were in Ho CHi Minh city the rate was 1 AUSD = 15,000 VND. Check if you can buy VND in some UK airports.

by JonnyVN

Yes, believe you can buy in Oz at a very low rate, better to wait till you get here, there's money changers at the airport as well as lots of ATM (note on other post, you can only get VND through ATMs)

by lindyz

Ive bought dong before I left Australia. I always leave home with about $100AUD worth of currency, just enough to tide me over the first night or day. But the exchange rate is always MUCH MUCH higher when you get to the country, so if you do change some in your home country, only change a little bit.

US dollars or dong?

by Decembervisitor

When I have emailed hotels or looked at tour company prices they all quote prices in US dollars. Will most establishments accept US dollars or is it best to convert US dollars into dong?

by JonnyVN

Most will but it's best to change to VN Dong for most as the excahnge rate you get wont be good, easy to change dollars
Jonny

by HongPhat

It's illegal selling and paying in foreign currencies in VN, just for foreigners convenience they quote prices in US dollars. In spite of that, US dollar is accepted at most of shops or markets in District 1. You have to pay VNdong for a pencil or a meal, of course.
Master/Visa Cards are available in some places and services, too.

by Neilzonwheelz

There are numerous bank machines [ATM's] throughout the country, gives u the option of taking money out when u want, dont have to carry USD. I rarely paid for anything in USD.

by Decembervisitor

Thanks everyone. I will use ATM's and change over some US dollars for dong once there. 14 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by zrim

We never changed to Dong and every restaurant we visited took dollars (but gave change in Dong).

by JonnyVN

Most restaurants will accept US, the only problem will be the excahnge rate will be much lower than if you go to excahnge. The bar I am presently sitting gives 15,400 to the dollar, the exchange rate is currently over 16,000
Jonny

by zrim

Hi Jonny. Obviously, your point is a great one for people who are on a shoestring. For me, if I change $100 or so, I'm usually left with thirty or forty bucks of unused currency and inevitably I don't change it back and then have a drawerful of various currency. Therefore, I don't change money unless it is absolutely necessary.

BTW, thought Vietnam was one great place, I can't wait until I get back. Every place we visited was fascinating both in the south and the north (we didn't get in between--next time).

by lenardt

Most will accept US dollar but dong MUST be taken by all. We found it easier to always have dong when travelling there and have some US dollar to convert or pay

Comments