Duxton

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• My memories with hotels in Ho Chi Minh City

It was exciting on first days living in Riverside Hotel on Ton Duc Thang Street. It was kind of peaceful there. I woke up every morning to look at Sai Gon River everyday. The air was very fresh upstairs.

After few days visiting other places in Vietnam, I came back to Ho Chi Minh City but I could not book the room I used to live in at Riverside Hotel. So I left Riverside Hotel and went straight to Duxton Hotel.

I stayed in Ho Chi Minh City with the help from a guide on hochiminhprivatetour.weebly.com and meetrip.to. At first, she told me some bad things about this hotel but this hotel looks really fabulous so I did not believe her. Now my story begins:

The main point is about Duxton Hotel. I booked a deluxe twin room on agoda.com but I did not get the right room type. On agoda.com, it said there was beautiful view and 30 square meter. But the view was so terrible and the room was just about 20 square meter. The most important thing is that I was at Duxton Hotel at 11am and I had to wait until 2pm to get the room. And in the morning, the staffs usually came to my room without knocking the door to check something. What the nasty experience at Duxton Hotel!

I booked a room for my friend to stay 1 night at Duxton Hotel. She forgot her ID card at home so they did not let my friend stay at the hotel. But I was so lucky. I asked my guide to help me. She did a good job to convince the staffs there. I talked to them before asking help from my guide and they kept talking: “Illegal”. In cases like this, you should ask for help from a local. A local will also give you real and marvelous experience in Ho Chi Minh City.

Maybe you will get different experience at Duxton Hotel but the service is really bad to me.

• yann.ng's Profile Photo

Enjoying the view of Saigon River from your room

A friend of mine booked this hotel through corporate rate. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to the main shopping area of HCMC.

The room is spacious and comfortable. As we were out most of the time, we did not spend much time in the room. No complains of the rooms. As it was our first time in Vietnam, we are unsure of the security there, so we decided not to try those cheaper hotels.

Directions: Located in the heart of the city, the hotel is 20 minutes' drive from the airport.

• Great Location in Dong Khoi Area

Stayed for four nights on arrival in HCMC ex-Sydney and one night pre-return. Very central location to main tourist sites of HCMC and to Dong Khoi area tailors, eateries and nightspots. Facilities, service and amenities are well suited to the price. They were renewing hallway fittings during stay but this was no inconvenience, other than a strange gluey smell in the corridors. Breakfasts were terrific. Huge buffet included in tariff. Health Club / pool facilities were very handy for a late airport departure (7.00pm) with a midday room checkout. Pool is only small but more than adequate for a cooldown in central HCMC. City noise in rooms was not really a problem. Very nice bar in foyer with frequent live music. Victoria Club Casino on Level 2 with free drink/food once you are a 'player' ($10US will do it). On the whole an excellent stay.

Unique Quality: Great location with friendly, helpful staff.

Directions: Main tourist area of HCMC

• bumpychick's Profile Photo

An very upmarket hotel

An excellent hotel in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City. The Duxton is very 'upmarket', with a high standard of decor and service. The rooms are modern, with all the facilities you would expect from a world class hotel. There is an extensive choice in the restaurant, and you can even take high tea in the lobby/bar area mid afternoon. We were very impressed with all aspects of this hotel.

• ricardoz's Profile Photo

Modern & Decent

This hotel is also known as Duxton Hotel, only a few blocks away from Rex. I stayed here for one night after spending 2 nights in Rex. I payed $99.00 per night with BF and the room is modern and clean. This is quite popular with business travellers. The Breakfast choice is good and the food is excellent. There is also a casino here but not much entertainment to be found only a very small lobby lounge.

Unique Quality: Very convenient and good value.

Directions: Few blocks away from HCM People's Committee building

• Decent Business Hotel

Priced at USD 84 per night, this is not a cheap hotel by any measure. A business hotel, things work and hotel staff are on the whole courteous and helpful. Got the hotel from an online travel agency, asiatravel.com, which is cheaper than getting it directly from the hotel's own website.

Unique Quality: Good location, one of many in the area.

More about Duxton

Ho Chi Minh City Hotels

by sarahreynold about Hotels in Saigon

I use Nongasia for Vietnam hotel tips, they suggest Hotelclub or World Choice so you can compare, a very good choice from budget to the luxury 4 star and 5 star hotels in Vietnam.
The new World Hotel Saigon is an excellent luxury hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. Duxton Hotel Saigon is very good for a 4 star hotel.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member winonhols

We stayed at the Duxton Hotel, Saigon between the 12th and 16th April 2007.

It is very central and a modern hotel. It was busy which is what you would expect in a major city but not so busy that you were just another guest. We were warmly welcomed on arrival which only takes approx 30 mins from the airport into the centre of the city.

Reception were helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble. Our bags were taken to the rooms which were large and luxurious. We had the most enormous bed, plus easy chairs and a table where you could plug in your lap top if required.

The room had a fridge with minibar but we took out the hotel booze and re-stocked with our own as the hotel prices were quite high and as there were little shops and supermarkets all over the city, it is much cheaper to buy your own. The hotel did not mind this and were even happy to supply us with glasses full of ice when the ice compartment of the fridge refused to work!

There are also tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms and a hairdryer in the dressing table drawer.

The en-suite bathrooms were large and had a powerful shower. You were also replenished daily with shampoo, conditioner, bath foam and body lotion, plus cotton buds, sewing kit, shower caps etc. We were also provided with clean fluffy robes each day and slippers!

The hotel has a small gym with one treadmill, a cross country ski machine and 2 bikes plus some mats and free weights. The gym is air-conditioned and towels are provided. There is also a small swimming pool but adequate to take a dip from the blazing sun. There are only about 6 sun loungers as I think most people are either staying on business or just for a few days sightseeing before moving on to somewhere else.

The restaurant was large and although busy, tables were cleared and re-set within minutes so we never had a wait. My only complaint was that the smoking section was right next to the non smoking so the smoke drifts all over anyway!

The selection of fresh fruit, cereal, juices, salads, breads and cooked food was extensive and catered for lots of nationalities.

We had been informed 3 months prior to travelling that the hotel would be carrying out some renovation work on one of the dining rooms but that noise would be kept to a minimum. They did not start drilling and banging until after 8am each day and had finished by mid afternoon so the noise did not affect our stay at all.

If I had to find anything negative to say about this hotel it would be the colour of the corridors. We were on the 4th floor and everything was battleship grey. The carpet, the walls and the bedroon doors so it could be quite grim looking on first sight. However, I think the hotel is being renovated so this may include repainting walls, doors etc. However, as already mentioned the rooms themselves were lovely.

We were offered tours of the city for half a day but to be honest you can do most of it on foot yourself. We walked to the War Museum, City Hall, Notre Dame, City Post Office, Unification Palace and Ben Thanh Market and covered everything in less than a day. The hotel gave us a map and everything was marked and easy to find.

The hardest part is crossing the roads! You must not run as this is a sure fire way to get flattened. You need to develop a slow kind of shuffle and let the mopeds and cycles weave round you. We never saw any accidents despite the thousands of people on the roads!

The only tours we booked were through a travel agent we found by going to the Tourist Information Office and they directed us. We booked to see the Chu Chi Tunnels which is approximately 2 hours away and also a trip to the Mekong Delta which takes about the same length of time. Both trips were good.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and it was good value for money too.

loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cathynsteve

This was a great hotel, we stopped for three nights.The room was much larger than I thought it would be, lovely made up bed, bottle of wine in the room and fresh fruit and bottled water everyday. Great bathroom and shower. The room was very clean and spacious. The breakfast buffet was amazing (£6) there was so much choice we didn't know to start. lovely fresh cooked pancakes,eggs,waffles,japanese food,cereal,juice etc.. We also had afternoon tea in the lobby one afternoon which was really nice. After a busy day around the city ( you are very close to everything here!) we had dinner in the hotel, we have never seen anything like it we seem to be the only ones eating and the food was amazing, beautiful fresh seafood cooked in front of you at the grill, the choice was fantastic and at £12 we couldn't believe it , very yummy.

Centrally Located

by TripAdvisor Member Holidaytime40

We had an enjoyable stay. The staff were very polite and professional. The hotel was very centrally located to all the sights.
The breakfast was very nice and lots of choice.
The internet service was very expensive. Previous hotel was free and I was charged $1USD per minute at the Duxton.

Nice Hotel, very close to restaurants and all sights.

Pretty Decent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ditzy_klutz

I Just came back from HCMC and I stayed at the Duxton for 3 lovely Nights. The Hotel Room was relatively large and the ensuite was pretty well sized also. Service was also first rate with the turn down service and also an attendant coming ard 8ish to ask if you needed anymore water or fruits. A big thumbs up.

Internet access was non existant unless you want to pay USD17.50 per 24 hours for usage but there is free wireless Internet if you pop to the PHO24 just outside of the Hotel .. :)

Excellent Location in Nguyen Hue Blvd with the upmarket Dong Khoi Street in the next street and Ben Thann Market about a 15 min walk away .. Overall an excellent, Clean and Abv average rating .

Good central hotel for family

by thedouglas

We are returning the Ho Chi Minh in December-January. Stayed at the Grand Hotel last time - and found it fine. Just wondering if anyone knows or would recommend a similarly located hotel as an alternative, for a family of 5.

RE: Good central hotel for family

by nevadovn

You can try Duxton Hotel Saigon or Rex hotel. Thay are both in Dist 1.

by thedouglas

Do you know how they compare to the Grand? Thanks for your help, by the way...

by wabat

how about the majestic just down road from Grand .. prob a bit more up market and pricy then the Grand but has lot of old world charm/history ... Rex similar in terms of history etc but less pricy.

Only prob with Majestic is can be noisy if you have room facing main raod .. especially when trucks are allowed to pass fromabout 9pm on.... Nive if expensive bar on rooftop of Majestic .. similar on Rex though ahve not been to it.

Albert

RE: Good central hotel for family

by kidfree

I would stick with the Grand for location, price and a peaceful sleep if you avoid the rooms alongside Dong Khoi. I shall be going to HCM hopefully in November and have been recommended the Lan Lan hotel which looks nice.
Happy travelling

by thedouglas

Thanks for all the advice. I do recall that the Grand was both central and not noisy, despite the location. I am such a creature of habit though, so checking!

by NitNoy

Stick with the Grand. Majestic is too noisy.

by JonnyVN