Golf Hotel

R4-17-18-19 Pham Khiem Ich, Hung Gia 03, Phu My Hung., District 7, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Golf Hotel
Agoda.com Booking.com

More about Ho Chi Minh City

Motorbike Parking - Cannot parking anywhereMotorbike Parking - Cannot parking anywhere

Viva CoffeeViva Coffee

Ben Thanh MarketBen Thanh Market

pho (regular)pho (regular)

hi

hi all,

im hitting HCMC feb 1st. staying at the continental. hope to do a bit of travelling, hanoi, halong bay etc.
i think TET will be starting up my second week. hows hcmc that week? pretty good i'd imagine?

regards

george

by mikeinvietnam

The few days leading up to Tet are quite interesting downtown. Shoulder to shoulder walking room with smiles everywhere. But after that everything kind of shuts down for about a week and then slowly picks up to its normal hectic crescendo by the end of the 2nd week. Many people go back to home provinces to be with family. Which to me is great in itself. Makes for much lighter traffic and less exhaust fumes to breath while I get around town much more easily. Enough good restaurants and drinking troughs are still open to make it a more relaxed period.

by gblondon44

cheers mike. im really looking forward to the trip. i've been to thailand a number of times, but this will be my first to HCMC.

reassuring there will still be bars open! haha.

thanks again for reply.

by mikeinvietnam

I remember the Continental well from the early 70s. I was a young contractor and used to sit drinking on the open veranda in front overlooking the streets and watching people pass by. Since that time they've encased it in glass and turned it into a high falutin' fancy-pants restaurant. I'm sure its much more profitable now and good for the hotel, but then again, the era is gone. Yet, there are still many other places to take a break, watch the world go by and sit sippin' hootch.

by daawgon

Your best bet in Saigon is to book the Saigon Hotpot free tours, and ask specifically for Hoang Long - he's amazing!

Hey, Mike - Chuc mung nam moi 2010! Sorry our dinner night was so short back in late October, but I well remember those good times.

by gblondon44

thanks. i've been reading about saigon hotpot. they seem a good bunch of kids.
thanks for recomendation.

regards

george

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

Learn the Language...

by Unknownsu

...or at least a few phrases. Once you have, you will find the Vietnamese open up to you rather quickly. Returning home after 3 months in Ho Chi Minh City, I am proud to say I can hold a decent conversation with a local Vietnamese. That's arriving armed with knowing how to count from 1 to 10. Phrases such as Cam on (pronounced Gum erng) meaning Thank You will help considerably when you are invited to a family dinner. The language is Extremely difficult to learn but if I can do it, then anyone can. During the last week of my stay, I was waiting for an American friend getting his motorbike when I was approached by a tout wanting us to go to his bar. We first spoke in English and after he got a little too persistant, I switched into Vietnamese mode. I told him my friend did not want to go to this bar of his and that I am a local Vietnamese. To my luck and surprise, he actually believed me because it just happened that I understood everything he said! Thinking I was Vietnamese, his attitude quickly changed from persistant to practically begging us to go. I declined and just before we left, I told him the truth about me being Chinese and only started learning Vietnamese one month prior.

Trees and Eyes

by Unknownsu

For the visitors who are curious, ever notice why the bases of all trees in Ho Chi Minh City are painted white? It is a safety precaution dating back to when street lights in Vietnam were limited, to ensure the driver does not have rude encounters with the barked decorations.

Same goes for the eyes painted on boats. Legend has it that when the first boats were completed, locals worried about the unknown that lurked in the seas and oceans therefore, large watchful eyes were painted on the bows of all ships to ward off any danger that came from the unfamiliar waters.

You, You, You!!!

by 34N118W

Not long after walking around, you'll notice that people will say "you, you, you" to get your attention. It's seems a little rude, but I assure you they're not trying to be. In Vietnamese, women are called em, co, chi, or ba. Men are called anh or ong. All translate to "you" in English, which explains all the 'you'ing.

The Best Place to Relax

by Anarae

After two days of sitting on wooden stools in a boat on the Mekon Delta, we found ourselves incredibly stiff and sore! The Phuc Chau Massage Centre (just don't pronounce it phonetically!) was recommended to us as a clean, reputable and non-sexual massage parlour. Roughly translated, Phuc Chau means "Four Hands" and for about $15 you can indulge in a full body massage from two masseuses at once.

Once inside it's certainly an... experience! Mum and I were shepherded into a shower room with only a hot tap (ouch!) and then required to don robes which would probably only fit a child! We opted to stay wrapped in towels. You are then led to the massage rooms where you lay down and the two masseuses enter. For an hour they work on everything from your back to your hands to your temples, using fragrant massage oil. By the end of it we felt fantastic!

LOCATION

(Address copied straight from business card, hope it makes sense): 32 Xo Viet Nghe Tinh, P 19, Q Binh Thanh - Lau 1

The massage is upstairs from a regular looking office block, making it a little hard to find. I'd recommend trying to find Cao oc Age (the building it's in on Xo Viet Nghe Tinh St) and going from there.

CHEAP!! Ladies Handbags & Mens Wallet!!

by jamescruise about Stores & Markets

This handbag shop sells everything from upmarket designer copy handbags to cheap fashionable handbags. Both my wife & me bought a lot of handbags here. Price ranging from USD$5 - USD$20 every item in the shop is tag with its selling price, so.. feel at ease buying cause there is no way that the shop will slash you. A part from handbags the shop also carries designer copy wallets both for men & women.

This shop is located in a district known as Quan GoVap, name street is Nguyen Kiem, F3, shop number 625B, shop name CityGirl Fashion... is actually near the Ho Chi Minh international airport. The shop is run by 2 ladies which... well to our surprise happens to be sisters.. one of them speaks english and they are extremely patient and courteous... despite of my wife's fickle mind.. they still serve with a smile. I have actually recommended many of my friends to the shop since then and their responds were all positive. SO... overall my wife & me give a 2 thumbs up for this handbag shop in Ho Chi Minh City!! items to look out for copy designer handbags... etc USD$5 - USD$20

Comments