Hotel Hai Long 2

The Park outside the PalaceThe Park outside the Palace

Cha Gio CuaCha Gio Cua

DeanoP

by deanperkins

Hi there .. Iwas just wondering how i would go about getting the same sort of shirt i purchesed from the markets outside the hotel i stayed in a few months ago ?? the paticular store was right outside my hotel room not sure of hotel name will check .. it was a light material with vietnamese writeing on it down one side ... horizontaly.. i will try & send brand name of shirt the lady that sold it to me was lovely and she wore glasses .. If at all pos would you be able to email photos of shirts so i can tell you which one ...Sorry for being so difficult .... really really want to purchace sum more

Re: DeanoP

by pfsmalo

Can u tell us if it was silk or cotton or polyester as there are different types of shirt made in different quarters of HCMC because of dampness levels near the river? I mean by that if your shirt is polyester it would be easier to iron if it came from the river area because of the dampness, thus giving us a further clue. Also does the tail cover your B** as in the 1st and 2nd districts the people are shorter so having a short or a long tail would give us an idea of which district ? Give us a few more clues like this and we may be able to help.....

Yours truly

A Saigon shirtfitter

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

My first stay in Saigon

by Nemorino

In a letter dated July 22, 1964, I wrote:

At present I am still in Saigon, living in an air-conditioned hotel and generally having a good time. I have bought some books and dictionaries and am starting to learn Vietnamese. The people are very eager to help.

On Friday, the 24th, I will fly out to my station, which is a place called Phước Vĩnh, capital of "Happiness" province, about 50 or 60 miles north of Saigon. I'm told that there have never been any major battles up there, only occasional minor harassment by the V.C. (Việt Cong).

Basic Vietnamese Phrases!

by machomikemd

Do you speak English Anh noìi tiêìng Anh không?
To speak Nói
English Têìng Anh
I speak a little Tôi noìi chuìt ðiÒnh
Do you understand? Anh coì hiêÒu không?
I don't understand Tôi không coì hiêÒu
My name is .. Tên cuÒa tôi laÌ
My, mine CuÒa tôi
What is your name? Tên cuÒa anh laÌ giÌ
Your, yours CuÒa anh

I Tôi
You Ông/BaÌ (older male/female) Anh/Chiò(about same age
male/female)
Em (younger male or female kid)
How are you? Anh khoeÒ không? (Whenever you see Anh in Italic please keep
in mind of the sex/age of the person you speak with and change
to appropriate word as describe above)
Very well, thank you KhoeÒ, caìm õn
You're welcome Không coì chi (same expression as "oh it's nothing")
Hello, Goodbye ChaÌo anh (change "Anh" to appropriate word as described above)
Please LaÌm õn
Yes Coì
No Không, Không coì
Maybe Coì thêÒ
Pardon me Xin lôÒi

A local fan:)))

by shrimp56

This young boy didn't seem to understand why we wanted to take his picture [our group was from Chicago:))] -- he was working at a small shop selling SEA Game t-shirts and Vietnamese flags. In the spirit of the celebration underway in the streets we all stocked up!

Statue of Tran Ngyuen Ha at the Ben Thanh Market

by dlytle

If you do any touring at all, or catch a taxi to the Ben Thanh Market, you cannot miss the large traffic circle across the street from the Ben Thanh market. In the middle of the circle is a large statue of Tran Ngyuen Ha - whom I have no information about at all. Several large boulevards converge at this spot and there is much activity here, at least during the day. Buses, cars, taxis, motorbikes, bicycles, carts, etc. all whiz past the market using the traffic circle to their advantage as they go about their daily lives.

Fine, reasonable price handicraft

by ricardoz about Stores & Markets

There are 4 departmental stores in HCMC: Tax Center, Diamond Plaza, Parkson and Saigon Duty Free Shop that I am aware of. As I was short of time, I did not go to Ben Thanh market instead I bought all my souvenirs from 2 stores in Tax Center on Nguyen Hue St near Rex Hotel & Duxton Hotel. The are all kinds of lacquer ware and paintings, they are very reasonable and you can bargain a little. The stores are on the 3rd Floor. Lacquer painting, accessories box, wine holders & chopstick sets

Comments