Linh Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Ho Chi Minh City

footballfootball

Crazy Motorbike DriversCrazy Motorbike Drivers

Saigon by nightSaigon by night

Vendors,HCMC,Vietnam.Vendors,HCMC,Vietnam.

Shoe Makers

by drumsna

I am looking to have smart & casual shoes (ladies & mens) made whilst in Vietnam. Can anyone advise me where I will find a shoemaker that can make them within a week. Also large size dressmakers.Do they have websites???
Thanks

by JohanIsWeg

There will be places in HCMC, but I do not have any particulars. The best place to have shoes and clothing made to fit would be Hoi An, if you're going there.

by mikeinvietnam

In the early 70s there seemed to be a shoemaker at every corner. Wow, they did a great job of fitting. I remember my wife had three handmade pair made before we left for America. She wore them for quite a while. So I would assume there are still a few craftsmen around. I do vaguely remember seeing some shops still around, but not many. I will ask my local friends if they know of a good shop. Might take a couple weeks but we'll see. I just hope the quality workmanship is still here.

by drumsna

Many thanks, will be interested if you find a name of a good shoemaker. How long did your wife's shoes take to make?

by mikeinvietnam

I can't remember that far back how long it took, but I would think they can make them within two days now. I can ask when I find out.

by JohanIsWeg

In Hoi An they did it overnight.

by mikeinvietnam

Some shoemakers specialize in men's or women's shoes. Which do you prefer? or both? Dress shoes or casual? some locals asked me these questions.

by dentanviet

Hello,

There are many shoe maker along Hai Ba Trung St, D1. HCMC like Dong Hai Shoe Maker

Cheers!

by mikeinvietnam

I just read the initial request. I must have forgotten you mentioned your needs when I read it the first time. DUH!!!! Sorry for not paying attention. I'll pass on to my friends your request again for a variety of shoes. One thing I've noticed is that most shoes made here are in the styles of 1950's and 1960's, pointy toes or very wide toes. Only the high-end and hi-priced shoe stores in the trendy department stores offer today's men's fashions. Thousands of shoes are sold on some bridge overpasses and the few wider sidewalks. You might want to bring some photos of the styles you want. They can copy almost anything here. Some with quality workmanship and some very shoddy.

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

by Eurasian68

My favourite thing to do during this holiday was to EAT and try out as many vietnamese dishes as possible,

Don't worry about gaining weight, most dishes are light and easy to digest!

The famous COFFEE is also a must when you are in Vietnam, my favourite was Iced-Coffee with lots of sugar! Though I am not a coffee drinker at all, I liked it! My best memory of Saigon was meeting my mother's family. It was my first visit since we left Vietnam 1972. All my relatives only remembered me as a child, and I was treated like one, too.
I have wonderful relatives and hope to visit them soon again!

Ho Chi Minh City Tip

by carstenj

Hanging out and having fun with friends and relatives. It is so cheap to eat and drink and you can go out every night of the week without exception. You cannot be bored in this area.
We went to a nightclub heavily sponsored by Carlsberg Beer but I can only recommend the local brew 333

Everybody Pees!

by xuessium

Watch out! The locals, especially the guys, just "do it" anywhere, anyplace. Be prepared to see the sights of guys facing walls and hedges, doing the deed. I had seen one guy doing his deed next to a traffic pole at a busy traffic junction in HCMC, oblivious to the passing human traffic.

Song Be Golf Resort

by neurochic

If you love golf, you have to visit the Song Be Golf Resort. The resort is beautiful and very first class. The course is an 18 hole course spread out over some of the most beautiful Vietnamese land complete with beautiful palm trees, water bunkers filled with lotus blossoms, sand traps too numerous to count, and lush green fairways. It is about a 45 min taxi ride from Saigon. The resort comes complete with a driving range, restaurant (by the way the breakfast pho and congee were excellent), pro shop, pool, locker rooms, rooms to stay at and babysitting services.

If you aren't too good at golf, don't fret. The range caters to all comers. You will be required to where a shirt with a collar and golf shoes. Golf shoes and clubs are available for rent. You are also required to have a caddy to accompany you which turns out to be such an invaluable source however their skill varies. If you go ask for my caddie An, she was awesome! Golf carts are also available for rent.

The fee for 9 holes and the caddy fee turns out to be about $45 US on a weekday. Which for the beauty and high class of this golf club is a steal. I highly recommend that if you are going to play the course to play early in the day to beat the smoldering heat. The first tee time is 5am. Also if you are going to play, the front 9 are a much visably prettier course, however the back nine are tougher. The course is not open on Mondays for maintenance. Shirt with a collar (can be sleeveless for ladies) recommend because of the head to get
climacontrol gear from adidas or the similar gear from other companies
Golf shoes (can be rented for $5 if necessary, largest man shoe size is 12)
Golf clubs (can be rented for $15) with bag
Golf tees
Golf balls (tees and balls are available in pro shop if needed)
Golf towel (to wipe your face in the smoldering heat)
A good sense of humor (remember you are golfing and not at work)

Mass being celebrated

by keeweechic

Prayers are conducted every 6 hours starting at midnight. Women enter the temple from the left, walk clockwise around the hall, then congregate on the left side for worship. Conversely, men enter from the right and walk counter-clockwise. Both genders give offerings that range from the conventional incense, fruit and flowers to more unusual gifts of tea and alcohol.

Location : Cao Dai Temple, Tay Ninh