Metropole Hotel

Tags

Family Travel Seniors Backpacking
See Amenities
Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Nice hotel but watch out for the spa

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 1, 2012

Pretty central hotel which gave us a good price for our stay in the city. Not very modern, but more classic looking building. Room was pretty good, bed was nice and easy to sleep in. Bathroom not very big, but still with a tub. Worked fine for the few days we were there.
After some incidents in the city we spent most dinners in the hotel restaurant, and that was a good one. Nothing amazing, and pretty expensive compared to local restaurants. But safe and good.

Good service in the reception, friendly faces, and a good tour operator in the lobby too that fixed our day tour perfect. We probably paid way more than we would have somewhere else, but it still was a reasonable price and it felt safe.

We had another incident in the hotel spa, which is a reason why one should think twice before going here. Me and my girlfriend (now fiancée) booked an evening in the spa, including jacuzzi (where the water for some strange reason was cold...?), sauna, massage and foot massage. The jacuzzi was kind of bad due to the temperature, but the real incident happened during the massage when the massage girl put her hand where it definitely shouldn't be on me. And this with my girlfriend laying a half meter away.

To say that I got shocked would be an understatement, I quickly pushed her hand away and we didn't have any more problems, but she had the nerves to both look pissed and ask for a tip afterwards.

Directions: About 10-15 minutes walk from the big market place.

JohnnyS-DK's Profile Photo

Good hotel in Ho Chi Minh

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 20, 2009

Booked from home by http://hotels.sawadee.com/.
Hotel is very nice. Everything look up to date. Rooms are nice, clean and good.
We did use the pool (at 3rd. floor) and it was clean and nice.
Breakfast was great.
Staff was good and helpfull.
Hotel placement is good.
A lot of restaurants in walking distance.
Always taxis outside the hotel.
I will use this hotel again if i come to Ho Chi Minh.

Unique Quality: Good clean rooms.
Good placement.
Great breakfast.

Directions: Ho Chi Minh - Dist 1

Hospitality At it's Best

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 8, 2009

I came across the Metropole Hotel by means of anger. Let me explain, I arrived into HCMC late in the evening and had tried to check into another hotel of which I had reservation, however this other hotel was not going to accommodate me. So I went back into a cab in search of a hotel in HCMC at 1:00am. We drove randomly in Dist 1. then I notices the Metropole Hotel.
We pulled up without taking out my luggage to see if any thing was available. The gentleman behind the desk said yes . He said he had limited space and how long do i need the room for. I figured overnight and would deal with everything in the morning. With that he said it was late and would discount the room for me. Even better!
Well from that day on, I ended staying here for over a week!.
The staff was extremely helpful, rooms were large ,clean and modern. The rate included breakfast buffet which had a large assortment of both east and western dishes.
The staff in the bar on 2nd floor became like family, had a pool on 3rd fl, spa on 2nd floor, and business center on the main floor. What else can you ask for in a hotel and great hospitable people to boot.
Great shops and restaurants in area. Walking distance to sights. Plenty of Taxis.

All I can say is thanks to the Metropole staff. Some of the finest hotel staff Ive come across in my 20 years of traveling.

I leave next week for a three week trip to SE Asia. You can be sure that the majority of my trip will be spent here. Thanks again!

Unique Quality: Pool - small but clean, great wait staff
Bar personal, the best Ive come across in all my travels. Made you feel like you were home
Food - Restaurant and room service quite pleasing

Mikebb's Profile Photo

Good Value, Nice Modern Rooms

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 6, 2008

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this recently renovated hotel which was less than 5 minutes by taxi from the city centre. Our room was excellent, a good bed which was not hard like most Vietnamese hotels provide, the pillows were large and gave you something to rest your head upon, and the new bathroom was something you liked to spend time in.

On top of this there was a very nice outdoor swimming pool and gymnasium on the 3rd floor, an ideal pool to relax and afterwards enjoy a drink from the nearby bar.

The previous 2 nights we stayed at the Rex Hotel at nearly twice the price for a room half as good as the Metropole and no swimming pool available due to maintenance. It was a good move to the Metropole and the American breakfast was excellent.

Unique Quality: Very nice room and a good swimming pool.

Directions: Within walking distance of Ben Thanh Markets and a US$1 taxi ride to city centre.

Money all stolen

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 25, 2008

It was our first trip to Vietnam. The room is quite expensive but the reason for choosing a more costly one is for its security, comfort and great service. However, it was appaling to have all my money stolen from my bag in the room. The manager tried to help but it was fruitless as all the answers given was that the housekeeper denied stealing. He showed us details of the timings from the camera in the doorway and we spotted a loop hole that the housekeeper has entered the room 20 minutes before we went back to the room to put a luggage we just bought and the room was not made up. However the manager insisted that she was in at that point of time to make up the room. No chances was given to us to explain the loop hole as he will interrupt. It was also taking up alot of our time and we reckon that we will not waste time since nothing can be done. We tried to spend within our limits(those money we have brought out with us). The manager practically was defending the housekeeper and insisting we have left the money somewhere else. I am very disappointed with the hotel and more so when i had high regards of it. Most of them could not understand English. Therefore it took a long time to explain my problem. Even after explaining, it seem that nothing much was done to help us but blames pushed to us. For the next two days, paranoia was there each time we leave the room afraid of what will be next to be stolen. Be careful if this is your hotel choice. I am sure we were not the first to experience theft. It was disclosed by the manager while explaining to us how these had happened to other tourist due to guests' carelessness. That is not an excuse. The bottom line is, staffs from the hotel steal.

Directions: Petrol station.

XRSIST's Profile Photo

Recently renovated!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 4, 2007

I had stayed here 2 years prior and recalled the rooms being exhausted, old and needing renovating if they wanted to keep charging the rates they had listed. I booked this hotel as a last resort as it was one of few remaining that had rooms during Tet (New Years). When I got there, I was told the room I booked was not available and I've been upgraded! To my surprise, it looks as if the rooms have been renovated where everything was practically new from the shower to the wardrobe.

I stayed on the 3rd floor but it was at the other end of the club/bar and I couldn't hear the noise.

The hotel receptionists were extremely helpful and polite. They helped us booked bus tours when we could not find any (New Years), gave us directions and great recommendations.

Unique Quality: The pool is on the third floor next to the club, which has a see through window. Usually the pool is closed if the club is open.

kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Metropole hotel, Saigon.

by written on August 26, 2002

Our room with air con, balcony, tv and phone costed 33 USD.
On the pic is a nightview from our balcony.

Unique Quality: Most inexpensive hotel in Saigon that has a swimming pool and buffet breakfast with excellent location.
Unfortunately the pool was under construction when we were there. When we complained for that(hey, the reason we choose that hotel was mostly the pool!!), suddenly the stuff couldnt speak english..."wat, sir, i dont understand, yes, yes, oki". We didnt bother to ask for manager, but we never got back there again.

But, there are a HUGE brakfast table that contains almost everything; noodles, salada, omelettes, fresh fruits, soups, desserts,...you name it, they got it!
And, the room was very clean, even little bit torn cause it is so old.
So, i still think its good value(and maybe the pool is now opened...).

Nearby Metropole Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Forum

Need advice about Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Ho Chi Minh City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ho Chi Minh City hotel reviews

Reunification Palace
Off The Beaten Path
A lesson to all
Things to Do
A new unique designer jewelry shop in town
ArchitectureMasterpiece Saigon Notre DameCathedral
An Old Nice Building!
Independence Palace-Must-stop in Ho Chi Minh City
All about Historical Monument Cu Chi Tunnel
Saigon Post OfficeThe Beauty Cross Three Centuries
La Cantina - has gone downhill 2015
Jollibee
Restaurants
a cornucopia of general tips
Ho Chi Minh airport # 152 Bus