Red Sun Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Ho Chi Minh City

Oil Station in SaigonOil Station in Saigon

Crazy Motorbike DriversCrazy Motorbike Drivers

Saigon by nightSaigon by night

The priests of Buddhism symbol (yellow)The priests of Buddhism symbol (yellow)

Bihn Tay Market in Cholon (Opening hours?)

by ourholidays

Hi,

I tried to search the guides and the forum for an answer but was unable to find it.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out on this info.

My husband & I will arrive at the airport at 12:30pm this Saturday.
I estimate that we will be able to have a quick check-in at the hotel in Le Loi Street and get out onto the streets by 2pm.

Anyone has any advice on whether the Bihn Tay Market is still open at such hour?

If it is still open, I expect that we will wandering around in the market for at least 2 hours.
Thereafter, we will walk around the so called Chinatown area
and have our dinner there before returning to our hotel in Le Loi Street.

Is this a good idea?
Or, must we visit the market in the morning?
If it is only for morning visit, then, we may have to scrap the whole trip
to the market as the only other morning that we have, we have arranged a trip to Cu Chi.

Thanks!

by betska

Do you mean the Ben Thanh Market? if so, yes, it will still be open. It is open all day! I'm not sure what time it shuts, but we have been there quite late. Food stalls open up outside the markets at night.
The Chinatown area in HCMC, Cholon, is a little too far away to walk to. Taxis are inexpensive, though.
Enjoy your trip!

by betska

Oh sorry, just re-read your question....you mean the market in Cholon!!!!!!!
No, not sure of their opening times. But your hotel may be able to tell you.

by pfsmalo

Haha Bets they are similar names aren't they. From what I could glean on the 'net the market is open from 6 in the morning until 6 at night.

by betska

Yeh blonde moment, Paul. Hope to catch up with you in person next year **Paris***

by IdreamIam

When I was there I had to go back about 5pm and though they were still operating some stalls were starting to close and the food section was getting ready, so you will be safe if you shop there from 2.30 till closs, you will need all that time they are quite large. Have fun.

Certainly Bets.

by ourholidays

Hi All,

Thanks to betska, pfsmalo & IdreamIam for helping me out!

My holiday in Ho Chi Minh just ended yesterday.

For those who are interested to know, below are what I experienced in my trip.

We went to the Cho Binh Tay at 11:30am.
It was big...we visited only the ground floor as I was having trouble climbing and descending staircase after my trip to CuChi Tunnel 2 days earlier.

It took us one hour(without shopping) to walk through approximately half of the ground floor at leisurely speed. (a.k.a. window shopping)

We bought from a few stalls(extra half an hour). Then, we headed to the shops outside of the market opposite the main road.

It was not as hot or humid as I expected. It was quite a leisurely walk.
Perhaps, it was cloudy on that day.

Taxi from Cho Ben Thanh in District 1 to Cho Binh Tay in District 6(bordering 5)
was about 125,000VND in a Vinasun Taxi.

Taxi back to Cho Ben Thanh in District 1 was about 100,000VND in a Vinasun Taxi.

Exchange rate during my visit was approximately USD 1 = 19,000 VND.

by pfsmalo

Thanks for getting back with this info. You could make up a couple of tips for your VN page out of this.

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

Take a Motorbike to Save Loot and Get There Fast

by neurochic

Unfortunately one of the best modes of transportation that I discovered late in my trip was hiring people to transport you on the back of their motorbikes. Not only do you get to your destination a lot quicker than a taxi since the driver can weave in and out of traffic, but its far less too. Also its a heck of a lot of fun to feel the wind blow through your hair while zooming down the street on the back of one of these machines. If you wear contacts though, I advise not to take this mode of transportation because you do get a lot of dust in your eyes while traveling, unless you wear sunglasses.

Explosion on Christmas Eve

by Nemorino

On December 24, 1964, we did a very unusual thing and traveled by car from Tân Ba to Saigon, a distance of about thirty kilometers.

The driver of the car was an American civilian who sometimes lived with us in the house at Tan Ba. He was an employee of USOM, the United States Operations Mission, which as far as I know was some sort of aid and development organization.

He drove like a madman because like the rest of us he was terrified about driving those thirty kilometers on an unsecured Vietnamese road. In retrospect I think it was probably one of the safest roads in the country, but that was not our opinion at the time.

We stayed at the Tan Loc Hotel, which I later described as "the second sorriest hotel in Saigon," though I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it. In any case it was so shoddy and run-down that I was confident it would never be a target for any kind of terrorist attack.

After checking in at the Tan Loc I went over to the PX (the Post Exchange, in the city center), where I did some shopping and had a chat with an American major whom I had briefly worked for in Hon Quan a few months earlier. This major evidently stayed around in front of the PX a few minutes longer than I did, because he was slightly injured by flying glass when the Brinks Hotel blew up.

The Brinks Hotel was being used as an American officers' billet. At 5:55 p.m. on December 24, 1964, a truckload of explosives blew up in the garage area underneath the hotel. Two Americans were killed and at least fifty Americans were injured, including the major I had just been talking to. Also a number of Vietnamese and Australians were injured, and some small buildings at the rear of the Brinks Hotel were completely destroyed by the force of the blast.

Note from 46 years later: The site of the former Brinks Hotel is now the location of the five-star Park Hyatt Saigon Hotel, which is reputed to be the best and most expensive hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. On the front lawn of the Park Hyatt there is now a plaque commemorating the car bombing of Christmas Eve 1964 at what was then the Brinks Hotel.

www.vietnamwar.net/BrinksHotel

Take a taxi instead!

by TravelChick67

While going around HCMC, you'll notice many people wearing long gloves and/or handkerchiefs to protect their faces (and breathing) from the strong fumes in traffic.

Taking a motorcycle taxi is very common for locals in Saigon but I prefer the taxi! Give me comfort and air conditioning any time.

And the taxis are so cheap ($1.25 per fare on average) that there really isn't any reason to do otherwise unless you like sucking fumes!

Saigon Water Park

by Blatherwick

Saigon Water Park is just a great place to visit. The hotter it is the more refreshing this place is. The water park was built with the aid of an Australian company so the standards are just like in the west.

The entrance fee is 60.000 Dong. There are around 30 water slides, a wave pool, a children's wading pool, guarded lockers to put your stuff in, and food available in stalls

The first time I went there was on a weekday and there were less than 10 people in the park for most of the day. The last time I was in Vietnam the park was not open on weekdays. Weekends are a different story as everybody comes then. Just let yourself go and have fun and act like a kid again.

My Tho

by keeweechic

My Tho is a Mekong delta town famous for its fruit orchards. It is some 70 kilometres from Ho Chi Minh City. Until into the 17th century, My Tho was a town of the Khmer (Cambodians).

There is a Cao Dai temple there. If you do a tour to the Mekong Delta, you will go through My Tho. I think it's pronounced 'Me Tho'. You pass through some wonderful countryside down in this region.

Comments