141 Nguyen Hue Blvd, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

See Amenities
IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Interesting for a visit.

by written on July 7, 2013

We did not stay here, but had a look around, because it is famous.

The Rex Hotel was initially built as a French garage in the early 20th century. Then in1959 the Rex Hotel was expanded into a 6 storey trading centre. During the Vietnam War the American Information Service was located at the hotel and the hotel became popular with U.S. officers. It was also the venue for daily press briefings to foreign correspondents - these were nicknamed the 5 o'clock follies.

In 1973, the building was renamed the Rex Trading Center. It housed three cinemas, a cafeteria and a dance-hall. Since 1975 the property was upgraded into an international hotel. The Rex Hotel was one of the first state-owned five-star hotels in Vietnam built and run by the Vietnamese,

alyf1961's Profile Photo

MORE WAR HISTORY

by written on October 17, 2012

The Rex hotel was built in the early 20th Century and expanded in 1959. It was leased to the American Cultural Center in 1960 and it became the centre of the American information service. It became famous as the place where the “5 o’clock follies” took place when the US officers would make daily press briefings to the waiting correspondents. In 1973 it became the Rex trading centre and it included 3 cinemas, a dance hall and a café.
Today it is an international 5 star hotel.

Audia's Profile Photo

Will Try It Next Time

by written on March 22, 2008

I will probably try this hotel next time I travel to HCMC. The location of this hotel is incomparable as everything's on the doorstep. I had a chance to look at its lobby and it was nice. I thought this one is not only popular for the tourists but also for the locals as well. I had a Vietnamese friend who held her wedding party in this hotel. The architecture of this hotel is influenced by the French style (and also some other buildings in HCMC).

This one is a must try...

Unique Quality: Will write more after staying there.

Directions: District 1, opposite Tax Shopping Centre

Mikebb's Profile Photo

2nd Visit, Much Better Accommodation

by written on March 7, 2008

We returned to the Rex Hotel for one night prior to departure from Vietnam. Our tour leader had complained about the quality of our accommodation the previous week and the Rex Hotel responded by allocation our group of 27 persons fully renovated rooms. The rooms looked as though renovations has just been completed, and best of all our room faced an internal courtyard without any road noise and the beds were soft.

Full marks to the Rex hotel this time, but I suggest when booking this hotel you request a renovated room and that it does not look onto the road, otherwise you will get the 24/7 road noise.

Mikebb's Profile Photo

Rex Hotel Standard Room Not Up To Standard

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 6, 2008

During February 2008 we were with a group of 27 friends travelling Vietnam who had a group booking for one night before moving on to Da Lat. We chose to stay in HCMC for 3 additional days before joining the group in Da Lat.

Our experience at the Rex Hotel was unsatisfactory mainly due to the room which smelt on entry, the furnishings were tired and impossible to sleep at night due to the incessant road noise, horn blowing etc etc. The split system airconditioner had not been cleaned for years and was black with dirt at the air outlets.

The hotel has an icon status, however it does not live up to the image. Designed in the 1950's it has massive passages one has to walk along to reach the lift, from the entry foyer we had to walk a maze of corridors, at least 200 to 300 metres, to reach the lift which serviced our 2nd floor room.

The hotel is under renovation and work commenced by 8am each morning, the internal noise competing with the horrendous traffic noise which penetrated our room. To make things worse the swimming pool was closed for renovations.

Before arriving I had booked an additional night at US $ 206 per night and we quickly decided not to extend our stay for the 4 nights intended but moved to another hotel which provided better rooms, swimming pool , health club etc.

The group had a one night booking at the Rex prior to leaving Vietnam. Our group leader had previously complained about room standards and we were given upmarket , recently renovated rooms in an area of the hotel protected from road noise. Refer to additional tip to view these rooms.

Unique Quality: Historic hotel, the US Army used this hotel as Headquarters during the Vietnam War.

5th Floor Roof top Bar and Restaurant is excellent and has excellent views of the city centre particularly at night.

Directions: In the City Centre, it is a landmark.

machomikemd's Profile Photo

Most Famous Hotel in Sai Gon!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2007

There are a variety of rooms, but all are large and clean, with fluffy carpets and kitschy bamboo detailing everywhere. The lampshades are big royal crowns, which are a hoot. There's good indirect lighting throughout. Some of the suites have beaded curtains and Christmas lights over the bathroom mirrors. The beds and pillows are firm but fat, and there are good views from some balconies.

The Rex is in a great downtown location, across from a square that has a lively carnival atmosphere at night. It is also known for its rooftop bar, with its panoramic Saigon view. The pool is small, just a toe-dipper, but it's in a quiet courtyard. Amenities here cover all the bases, if you can find them in this labyrinth.

Unique Quality: During the French time, the Rex began as a two-story garage located in the heart of commercial center of Saigon. Between 1959 and April 1975, Mr. and Mrs. Ung Thi, a Vietnamese couple purchased and renovated it into a six-story building with 100 guestrooms and renamed it as Rex Trading Center and then the US Information services rented much of the premises for office and residential use. The remaining space housed three cinemas, a cafeteria, a dance hall and a library.

During the Vietnam War, the Rex was a favorite watering hole for American officers. Renovations have seen it return to some of its former splendor. Many of the city's best shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance. The hotel also has three restaurants, including the famous Rooftop Garden where you can enjoy a drink or a meal overlooking the busy streets below.

ricardoz's Profile Photo

Very Convenient Location

by written on February 20, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights in January. I tried to book Duxton hotel but it was fully booked so I ended up in Rex Hotel's Suite room. I stayed on the 2nd floor and the window is facing the construction site, not so nice view. For the price $140 it is pricey but best if you have a group of 4 or 2 couples to share the Suite, actually the Suite comes with 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom. It is a new room, everything is clean and good. Overall the hotel is dated, generally the services are good, the rooftop restaurant is a nice place to unwind with decent food. There is a casino here but didn't have time to explore. There is also a health club and the massage service is quite cheap, only 160,000 Dong for 1 hour. While staying in Rex, I get 2 hours of free massage and 1 hour of Internet usage which is next to the coffee house on the ground floor. I believe there are other hotels around the area, best is to plan early and pay the price that you want. The breakfast is not great and service is below par. Unless you don't have a choice or you get a good bargain, I would say this is not a must-stay hotel.

Unique Quality: Very good location.

Directions: Right in Town Square, next to HCM People's Commitee building

Joemidwest's Profile Photo

Rooftop Reastaurant Bar

by written on February 1, 2007

The rooftop was open 24 hours so if you get there at one in the morning (like we did) you can still go up and get ba ba ba (333) beer.

Joemidwest's Profile Photo

Great place to stay!

by written on February 1, 2007

Very nice place. I know this Hotel has been there 60 or 70 years but you certainly could not tell it inside. The rooms were big and well furnished. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. In the lobby they could arrange a tour, a driver, or send you to a good place to shop. Complementary breakfast was included and it was way more than continental.

pgj579's Profile Photo

Great, Old Fashioned Ex-Pat Feel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 25, 2007

The Rex Hotel is a classic Saigon Landmark. Staying here reminds you of a time when hotel were unique and had their own character, instead of being the same in every city. We rented a huge sweet for what seemed like next to nothing. The staff at the hotel was extremely courteous and friendly. But, the best part of the Rex is its famous rooftop bar. It is open at all hours, and has great views of the city, just above the rumble of the streets below. Gin and Tonics are about $1, which is tough to beat, and is a very relaxing way to unwind after a day in Saigon.

Fuzk84's Profile Photo

Nice Location, But Overpriced

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2006

We stayed at Rex Hotel for our last night in vietnam, just for its historical value and all. The hotel has a nice location. Its within walking distance to Ben Thanh market and has lots of shops just around the hotel. The service staff are also friendly.
The room I stayed in had a nice decor. Wooden flooring, cupboards and all.
On my stay it was in the process of upgrading to a 5-star hotel.
My main complaint about the hotel is that its rooms are waaay overcharged. For the price that we payed for a room in Rex we could have gotten one in a 5-star hotel, which honestly has better hotel facilities. I didn't really see anything that connected it to its history too.
Oh... and to nit pick a little the wireless connection in the room is rather spotty...

judz's Profile Photo

Rex

by written on June 5, 2006

We stayed at the Rex in July last year and booked a deluxe room through a local travel agent (which were excellent) and we were shown a room in the middle of the hotel which only had an imitation window and was very dark...also a lot of alterations going on - definitely not a deluxe room....I heard other guests complaining about sleeping in and missing breakfast as they didn't know whether it was daylight or not....I asked for a nicer room and was given a much better one with a larger room with a balcony...the breakfast was excellent and the roof top bar a nice place to go in the evenings, but I think the Rex is not really a 4 star and next month we will be staying at the Continental so eager to see how that compares...

Unique Quality: The rooftop restaurant and bar which has nice views of the city

Alliet03's Profile Photo

Best location!

by written on April 15, 2006

We stayed at the Rex for a total of 5 nights. The Hotel is still under renovation for one of its wings. Truthfully, in terms of the room design, it really is nothing great. However, what made us decide on the hotel was its location. To me, personally, I find this hotel most conveniently located if your intention is to explore the city centre. My husband and I like to explore places we visit by foot whenever possible. With this hotel, we could walk to Ben Thanh market, Notre Dame Cathedral, Post Office and including the very high recommended restuarant Quan An Ngon by many of the VT members here, very easily and all within 5 to 10mins!

Service there was so-so. On our first night, we were checked into a room where the airconditioning was not working. After numerous attempts by the hotel staff in fixing the air-conditioner, they finally got us another room and we had to make the shift at 9+ at night. To appease us, they gave us each free internet access for an hour as well as two drink vouchers which we redeemed for beer.

Of course, the rooftop garden here is a main attraction. It is not very nicely decked out but I guess it is kinda cool to be there sipping a beer and thinking about the US correspondents who were once doing the exact same thing at the exact same place.

Unique Quality: Great location!

NedHopkins's Profile Photo

Rip Off

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 4, 2006

I booked and paid for a Deluxe room through Asia Trails. I was put into a Superior room -- tiny, poorly furnished, and dark. (Its one window looked into an air shaft.)

I complained to a desk clerk and an assistant manager. Both told me that anyone who books a Deluxe room through a travel agent gets only a Superior room. What a rip-off. (When I asked if people booking a Superior room through a travel agent had to sleep in the lobby, I was met with blank stares.)

Aside from its historical interest and location, there is little to recommend the Rex. It is generally seedy, the service is perfunctory.

Of the seven hotels I stayed in during a month-long trip to Cambodia and Vietnam, this is the only one I disliked. And I disliked it a lot.

Unique Quality: The Vietnamese restaurant on the ground floor -- patronized, it seemed, mostly by non-residents -- and the rooftop buffet were the Rex's only good features. Overall the hotel is run-down, something of a dump, albeit a four-star dump.

Directions: In the central square, facing a statue of Ho Chi Minh embracing children.

judz's Profile Photo

Great location

by written on November 20, 2005

The Rex Hotel is a beautiful old hotel - we visited in July 2005 and it had major renovations going on so were upgraded to a deluxe room - I wouldn't have liked the standard rooms as some of the guests were complaining about there being no windows and very dark but we were more than happy with ours.

Nearby Rex Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Forum

Need advice about Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Ho Chi Minh City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ho Chi Minh City hotel reviews

Off The Beaten Path
La Cantina - has gone downhill 2015
Jollibee
Restaurants
a cornucopia of general tips
Ho Chi Minh airport # 152 Bus