Saigon Mini Hotel 2

102/34 Cong Quynh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, 848, Vietnam

Good For No Data
  • brigitte_lee's Profile Photo

Nice hostel only if there is no breach of security

I booked the Saigon mini hostel 2 for 4 nights but decided to ask the receptionist to transfer me to mini hotel 1 on my last night. The thing is - initially my room was located on the 3rd floor of Hostel 2 - no lift so I get to have the leg exercise every single day which is not a big issue for me. No window - which bugged me a bit but managed to get by anyway.

The room is decent. Bathroom reek a bit of foul smell. Perhaps because there is no proper ventilation as I don't have any window. I didn't mind any of these til my 3rd night. But on my 4th day of stay I decided to move out. So here's my story

4th day - I have a tour that will start around 7.45 am so I got up at around 6am to prepare and take a shower. Then someone just tried to open my door knob! I was freaked out being a solo female traveler in Saigon. I can hear the guy using a door key to open my door! and he was mumbling something which I couldn't understand. Then I kind of heard him say "Are you still around" then I asked him "who are you" but no answer. He managed to open my door knob and my door opened slightly just being stopped by a second upper latch which is holding it still. Then I still asked him what do you want. I got my way to move closer to the door and pushed it back again to close - pressing the middle of the knob to lock it. I can feel he is still trying to open the knob with the key but after 20 seconds - it stopped.

Hurrying up, I called the receptionist and asked if someone is roaming around the hostel to check on guests. They told me none. I informed them that someone just opened my damn door without knocking! And then I asked them who else holds the same key as I am holding for the room. They told me just me and the housekeeping staff - But the housekeeper is a woman not a guy! And the good stuff? It was a guy who opened my door. I didn't manage to see the guy's face because a double lock (upper latch) has held the door from fully opening when the guy managed to open my door knob. and I hurriedly pushed the door back anyway - I didn't dare to take a peek at who he is because it was an impulse to lock again the door!

I informed this to the staffs and ask them to transfer me on my last night of stay to the main hotel building (which is hostel 1) with recep at the lobby. I wouldn't dare to stay another night on the hostel 2. Who knows what I could have done to that guy - or the other way around.

I think the main problem with this hostel is that only in the Mini Hotel 1 that you get to have the reception centre. Apart from that - you get no security or anyone to guard the main entrance of the other mini hostels building e.g 2,3, so on - so naturally anyone can just enter the hostel.

I will not forget that room number 302 - Saigon Mini Hostel 2. It is in the upper most floor and the last room in the building. No window where no one will dare to hear you even if you shout out loud.

Traveling solo for the most parts (now age 24) - this is by far the most freakiest experience I had. If not for this breach of security I would have completely loved Saigon mini hostel group. It's really a value for money (minus the security issue)

Then again I still appreciate the staffs attending to my concern. They told me they're going to inform the management about it - which I really hope they should. Good thing they also transferred me upon my request to the main hostel building where there is a receptionist at the lobby.

I lived to tell my story - I'm just glad

Unique Quality: Decent hostel with all the amenities. Good breakfast. Staffs are attentive and friendly.

Comments