Saigon Star

Satisfaction Average

Costs 21% less but rated 13% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Good Food, Nice Place

To top off the above average stay in the hotel, they provided us with complimentary breakfast.

There were the regular items like corn flakes, ham, bacon, fried rice, sausages etc. There was even a staff who would stand behind a little stove to cook you piping hot scrambled eggs, omelette or sunny-side ups.

Unique Quality: But what really made me look forward to breakfast were the specials and it was only for hotel guests. Everyday, Jac and I would order their meat porridge. emmm...they'd serve us in a pretty big bowl, but everytime, we would finished the entire bowl.

You can also choose other delicious "specials" such as roasted meat noodle, chicken noodle and wanton soup.

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Comfort at a Reasonable Price

The hotel is out of District 1 (Good if you want a bit less noise but still close enough to the central area). Not many facilities (i.e. There's no swimming pool), but since Jac & I were out most of the time, it did not really bother us.

The room is clean and tidy and the hotel staff are pretty friendly. Definitely value for money and not too bad a hotel to stay in.

Rooms are found between 4th to 7th floor. For this particular hotel, try to stay on the middle floor (i.e. 5th and 6th floor) so that you're not so close to ground level, while steering clear of the noise from the Karaoke on the 8th floor.

Unique Quality: The hotel provides guests with daily serving of fruits in their rooms. Really appreciate their effort especially after a long tiring day. The hotel also has a wide selection of cable channels for the tv control freak!

Directions: Opposite Tao Dan Park and a short walk to the War Remnants Museum and the Reunification Palace.

• taymw's Profile Photo

Affordable accommodation, excellent service!

My stay in Saigon Star Hotel during my trip to HCMC in May 2006 was an enjoyable one! I booked the rooms through Asiarooms & paid US$26 per night for a twin/double room, which I believed is value for money. All the 8 of us that stayed there agreed with me. With free breakfast, complimentary fruits, free use of steam bath & suana during your stay there! This is the hotel if you don't wanna spend too much on accommodation, but also, don't wish to stay in a hostel.

Their service was excellent! The receptionist that attended to us was friendly & attended to whatever needs we have. On the downside, the hotel's located in District 3, near the War Remnants Museum. So, it's kinda out from the city area. Nevertheless, taking a cab down is always recommended. The hotel is just 5 minutes to the heart of Ho Chi Minh City and 20 minutes to Tan Son Nhat International Airport. Also, try to request for a higher floor room during the booking process as the hotel's situated next to the road. So, it might get a little noisy at night. But not much of a problem for me, as I was staying on the 6th floor that time.

All in all, Saigon Star is truly a hotel that I would highly recommend! Definitely the hotel I'll stay in during my next visit to HCMC.

Directions: Opposite the City Cultural Park

More about Saigon Star

Thirty years later

by Nemorino

Photos:
1. Cycling through the market 1995
2. Bird in a cage
3. A typical overland bus (my photo from 1965)

My thirteenth visit wasn't until thirty years later (30 years and 13 days, to be exact) when my older son Nick and I arrived on a flight from Singapore on Friday, July 21, 1995. We stayed in Saigon Star Hotel and spent the evening at a restaurant in De Tham Street.

The city was now officially called Ho Chi Minh City, but most people still seemed to say Saigon. It turned out we had come at a time when government controls over the country were starting to be somewhat relaxed. People were allowed to start small businesses, and Vietnamese living overseas were allowed to visit the country as tourists -- or as investors.

We met a Vietnamese family that had been living in Canada for twenty years and were visiting their home country for the first time since they fled in the 1970s.

On Saturday, July 22, 1995, we stayed in Saigon and visited the Revolutionary Museum in the afternoon.

On Sunday, July 23, 1995, we went by pedi-cab to Saigon station and later to a bus stop where we caught an overland bus going to Biên Hòa. The bus was very much like the one in my third photo, even though I took that photo thirty years earlier in 1965. The bus was crowded and there was no glass in the windows, so when it rained -- which it did on the way to Biên Hòa! -- we and everybody else got soaking wet.

But in the tropical heat our clothes dried very quickly, and I was really pleased that I could finally ride in one of those buses, which was something I could never do as a soldier in 1964/65 for security reasons.

Accommodation in HCMC

by Edy8

Hi, Like Vicki, we are having problem in selecting a hotel for our trip to HCMC. We found good review of the following four hotels. However, there were also brickbats as well. What to do but to ask you for your frank opinion of these hotels:
ELIOS HOTEL
SAIGON STAR HOTEL
New Epoch Hotel
BAT DAT HOTEL

Thanks in advance.

by glenmgallardo

hello i stay in elios its a new building nice the other hotel i havent check in

by daawgon

If you need a lift go w/ Elios

if you want excellent service go w/ Bich Duyen

by balhannah

hi there,
I don't know what your price range is, but I stayed at the Spring Hotel. It has lifts, a huge breakfast included, and is near the sights, I could see the Cathedral from a window on my floor. I couldn't have chosen better. I have photos and full review on my HCM page.

by Edy8

Thanks to you, Glenmgallardo, Daawgon and Balhannah for your quick tips. In addition, I take my hat off to you Bahlhannah for your so many beautiful shots of your travels. The ones about Singapore make me proud because I hailed from this city state and do you know, I didn't realize many beautiful things happen here!

Yes, I check up on Spring hotel. It is well recommended but it would be ideal if there is a massage outlet. Anyway I selected those hotels because there were good reports about them, but those reports could have been overtaken by time. Maybe those who stayed could give me some feedback. Thanks.

Comments