Star Hotel

Booking.com Agoda.com Travelocity

More about Ho Chi Minh City

footballfootball

Crazy Motorbike DriversCrazy Motorbike Drivers

Saigon by nightSaigon by night

twin bedtwin bed

Looking for a Temple in Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi

by harrylim

Hi Friends,

I am looking for a temple, either in HCM or Hanoi, where there is a diety which I remember is black in color. Devotees would ask for blessings and then touch its feet. It was more than 10 years ago that I went to this temple and I am bring my family to visit it again but just couldn't remember where it is. Please advise if you know of such a temple.

by mikeinvietnam

I've checked many sources and not one VN friend of mine has heard of that temple. Maybe something will turn up. Did you take pictures of it the last time?

by mikeinvietnam

One of my friends answered my inquiry as follows: Good luck in your quest.

In Saigon, at the corner of Jaersin street and Nguyen Cong Tru street, dist. 1, there's a temple, looks like a Chinese temple. In which there is a statue named Bao Cong whose face is black. People, most are Chinese come there, ask for blessings and also touch his feet. I am not sure this is one that your friend mentioned.

Besides, in the North of VN, there is a temple of Mai Hac De, an ancient king of VN. In which, also there is a statue of Mai Hac De. This king has a black skin too. It is in Nam Dan district, Nghe An province - You can get more information of this worship on Google.

by harrylim

Thank you very much. I would check it out when I am in Saigon, second week of August. I hope it is the one.

by sofawind

I hope I can help you find that temple. But the detail isn't enough for me recognize it. If you visit HCMC, I will be a travel guide for you and your family in my free time. Because I live in HCMC and I love this city so much!

by hientonkin

Quan Thanh Temple - Hanoi maybe the one you mentioned? Cause everyone touch his feet for luckiness! it's near the West Lake on Thanh Nien road.

Hien

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

Great Guide in Viet Nam

by jfortgang

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Vietnam having spent 5 days with a wonderful personal guide. The stories of inferior guides who are dishonest and overcharge are rampant...luckily this was not our experience.

Our guide was Jason of Jason Rock Star tours...an American name given to his one-man operation. He is enthusiastic, knowledage and charming. Every aspect of our tour was like being in the front row of a concert versus being in the rear balcony. He takes you places the large bus tours could never go. All of our questions wer answered, our itinerary was adaptable, not rigid like the big groups.

There are certainly less expensive guides in Vietnam and many who are unscrupulous. For a few extra dollars, you'll have the best trip ever. I've had guides in Turkey, Japan, Europe and the U.S.---he's the very best.

We paid $700 for 2 people, 5 days, 4 nights. This included all entrance fees, 5-star hotel, breakfast buffet and lunch every day. Private boats, private van/driver with dozens of photos taken by Jason, photo albms and a DVD of our trip put together by him. Also--airpot pick- up and drop-off and the memories of a lifetime.

He can be reached at jasonrockstarguide@yahoo.com Our guide...Jason

The most important port in Vietnam

by volopolo

The most important port in Vietnam

Saigon is one of the most important ports in Asia, with a lot of ports in the river. Also Vietnam is one of the most important exports country.

Information

Forth photo: The port in Saigon
Fifth photo: The port in Saigon

Calling for the Restaurant Bill

by bpacker

The next time when you're calling for the restaurant check in VN, write on an invisible piece of paper on your palm . Of course, make eye contact with a waiter when you do so or people will just think you're plain out of your mind. This really beats having to say something in unintelligible Vietnamese and getting more than just a check...

The same custom holds for Singapore. It doesn't seem to work for Korea and Japan though, I tried it and it cast serious doubts on my IQ level.

Swimming, Sliding, Relaxing

by King_Golo

If you think that Saigon is too hectic, you should take a trip to Mui Ne, approximately 150km (i.e. 4 hours by bus) away from the city. Open buses run regularly every morning. Mui Ne is a wonderful place to enjoy beach life: It's got a lot of resorts directly at the beach, you can swim, dive or just get your skin tanned. For some action, rent a motobike or a car with driver and go to the famous sanddunes. Lots of small children will await you and offer you to go sliding with them. For a small fee, you can rent a bobsleigh-like thing and slide down the dunes. It's fun if you manage to actually slide - the sand is too blunt, so it's not easy. Apart from these sports activities, you should explore the dunes yourself. They are wonderful in the early evening light. Not far away, there's also a little canyon (Red Canyon), that reminded me of the Grand Canyon, although it's only some 100m long and maybe 15m high. But the colour is the same!
When going back to your resort, try to reach Mui Ne's little harbor at sunset. I promise you that it's a view you will never forget! swimsuit and hiking boots

Ceremonial Robes

by keeweechic

Different garments and headwear represent different ranks in the religion. Its truly an amazing sight, viewed from a balcony above the proceedings. Tourist and Caodaists alike usually crowd the ceremonies.

Location: Cao Dai Temple, Tay Ninh