70-72-74 Pho Duc Chinh St., Dist 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

More about Ho Chi Minh City

Fried Vietnamese Spring RollFried Vietnamese Spring Roll

Saigon PortSaigon Port

Local Green BusLocal Green Bus

The post officeThe post office

things change

by biker.buck

Hi can anyone tell me if I can buy a good bike in HCMC, trek, giant, cannondale or such. Was going to Bangkok first but plans got changed.
Thanks for the previous replies, very hlpful.

by cachaseiro

I am planning to buy a bike in Vietnam too in December so i will just tag in here too.

by mikeinvietnam

There is a high-end bike shop in Phu My Hung with some name brand road bikes. I've got to drop my bikes off there for some maintenance. I will get the address for you within a couple days. Not sure if they offer mountain bikes but I will check. If I remember correctly, I saw some Cannondales and Giants. I think its owned by an American or British guy.

by hientonkin

The site is not available in english but at least you have some ideas of the bikes and how much it's gonna cost.

They have shop in Phu My Hung, HCMC too.

by mikeinvietnam

The bike shop in Phu My Hung that I refered to is Saigon Cycle.

I was in there today and saw some Giant MTB bikes for around $2,000 USD and some comfort bikes for around $630 USD. Some road bikes were around $2,000 and higher. They also have rentals. You can ask if they have used bikes for sale that might fit your needs.

Saigon Cycles

SaigonCycles.com

Travel Tips for Ho Chi Minh City

HCMC on a budget

by stolky

If you don't eat at tourist targeted or top end restaurants you can easily eat well for under 20 usd a day.

A bowl of Pho BO is usually only 1-2 usd at a cafe or small restaurant and mains can be bought from 1-5 usd at the same.

Rules of thumb for eating in HCMC, eat at places that are doing a good trade with locals (the food will be fresher and locals are in the know), if there is no english menu (which is rare in dist1)just look at what other people are eating and point at what you like the look of.

I found an excellent rooftop BBQ place (quan an nyong I think it was called) above fannys ice cream just off Nyuyen Hue, you have a bbq in the middle of the table and you order your meat or seafood and grill it yourself rice and steamed vegetable were complimentary. We had venison, frog, beef skewers and prawns a couple of beers a couple of cokes and the bill came to under 30 usd for 4. We were the only westerners and the place was absolutely chockers.

A full day trip to the mekong or the cuchi tunnels can be purchased at Sihn cafe in De Tham st for around 15 usd and some of these trips include a decent lunch.

Entry to the War remnants museum, zoo and many other attractions in dist 1 are incredibly cheap and can be walked to, or are only a dollar or 2 fare in a metered cab.

As for shopping, well how long is a piece of string? A trip to Ben Than market is a must and some of the items for sale there (Lacquerware for example)I haven't seen anywhere else in Asia, as well as the usual chinese made rubbish that you can pick up anywhere, but hey each to their own.

In conclusion I think you could have a great 3 days sightseeing, eating and drinking and maybe even enough for a couple of pairs of fake sunnies, a T-shirt with a yellow star or pic of Uncle Ho for 180 usd.

Have fun, I know you will.

Philippine Airlines at HCMC

by liemel225

when having troubles with tickets
or if you want to fly to Philippines from HCMC.

Philippine Airlines, Flight Code: PR
has an office at:
229 Dong Khoi Street, District 1
tel: (08) 827-2105
Fax: (08) 827-2107

PAL shares code with Vietnam Airlines.

Ninja Girls

by neurochic

In Asia, which is much different than most of the rest of the world, women want their skin to remain as fair as possible. The whiter your skin means that you have a higher place in life and usually means you are not a farmer or laborer having to be in the hot sun all the time. You will see women and girls when they are out on the streets in Saigon with long gloves on that cover their entire arm and fabric masks that cover the majority of their face except their eyes in order to protect their skin from the sun, no matter how hot it may be outside. Literally these girls look like ninjas.

Travel light!

by chatterley

Just pack light (cotton T-shirts, bermudas, etc). The weather was hot and humid (although we were there in June, which was supposedly the monsoon and rainy season, the weather was HOT, averaging 34 deg Celsius per day). For footwear, bring something comfortable. I always wear my old, battered Birkenstock sandals when travelling (they've accompanied me to places like Bali, Hong Kong, US, Beijing, etc).

You should also bring some raincoats or disposable ponchos, you might be caught in a sudden downpour. I think all seasoned travellers should know that it is best to leave your valuables (jewellery, branded bags, etc) at home. We were especially careful with our cameras and money, after reading the tips from other travellers. Lucky for us, we did not have any unfortunate encounter with pickpockets and snatch thieves...but my friend did lose a wallet to a pickpocket (in Hanoi).

For the airport departure tax, prepare USD12 per person.

I Fired an AK-47!

by Aidy_p

At Cu Chi, you can get to try your hands on most probably a China-made AK-47. Each bullet will cost you USD1.30, and you'd need to purchase a minimum of 10 bullets. I did not want to spend USD 13 on just firing bullets. So it was fortunate that there was this German girl, Patricia from Koln, Germany, who wanted to try out as well. So we split the bullets among ourselves. It's loud even with mufflers. Truthfully, plugging in your fingers into your earhole work much better. That is if you're not the shooter!

Well, if you are a weapons afficionado, then you might like to read on.

I had tried out various weapons like the American-made M-16 and the General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) that fires 7.62mm rounds, shot-guns and Singapore-made SAR-21 and Ultimax-100 to name a few.

I was pretty excited to try out the AK-47 as I've heard so much about it. Moreover, this weapon was an icon of the communist nations while the M-16 was the icon of the allied forces.

I really love the feel of the M-16 and it was my "wife" for 2 1/2 years of my life. Easy to handle, extreme accuracy to more than 500m.

Wrapping my hands on an AK-47 felt really great. cocking the weapon, I co-ordinated my aiming using the front-side and rear-side aperture. Took aim, and fired one round. Estatic! It was really smooth and you could see the dust rising up as the bullet struck the target board and ploughed into the sand pit behind. Cool!

Comments