Vietnam in 3 Weeks
YOu are lucky to enjoy the luxury of time! Itinerary would depend much on your interest and what activities interest you most. Three weeks is really more than enough to see all the five UNESCO world heritage sites and other attractions in Vietnam. Anyhow, I suggest you start from Hanoi, then spend a night or two at Halong Bay (UNESCO World heritage site #1). You may book a tour package with Fantasea Tours (please visit their website for more info www.fantasea-adventures.com. Then when you return to Hanoi you can check in at Democracy HOtel or Bodega Hotel at the Hoan Kiem District to spend a day or two touring the City. You can do the Walking City Tour on your own. After this, you may opt to take the night train to SAPA where you can spend a couple of nights in the cool mountains. Back to Hanoi, you can travel by train to Hue, the ancient imperial city (UNESCO world heritage site #2)to visit the royal tombs of Emperors Minh Mang, Khai Din, and Tu Duc. The New Time HOtel is highly recommended. There are other sites to see depending on how much time you want to spare. You can book a day tour to Phong Nha Ke-Bang National Park (UNESCO world heritage site #3). Back to Hue, you can travel by bus directly to Hoi An (UNESCO World heritage site #4). From Hoi An you can do a half day tour to My Son Sanctuary (UNESCO world heritage site #5). From here, you can either go to Nha Trang and/or Dalat, or just head for Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) from Danang Airport. The Halong Bay Cruise is spectacular and exciting, too. Likewise, it was lucky to visit Hue in time for the Hue Festival 2008. The festive mood is everywhere, and everybody is warm and friendly.
Hanoi --- The Vietnam`s Capital
"Return to Hanoi 2007"
(date written - May 13, 2007)
Hanoi Travel 2007
(April 22 - 24, 26 & May 7 - 8, 2007)
- arrived at 1:30 p.m. from Bangkok
- from Noc Bai Airport, I was picked-up by airport mini-bus to Bodega Hotel
- stayed at Bodega Hotel for US $ 3.00 (airconditioned dormitory room with cable channel, with toilet/shower room plus free breakfast)
- woke up early morning and took free breakfast (bread, eggs, jam & butter, tea & banana)
- changed my US $ 100 for 1,603,800 Vietnamese Dong
- lunch at BBQ Vietnam (grilled chicken set for 46,000 Dong)
- dinner at BBQ Vietnam (chicken burger set for 33,000 Dong)
- bought ticket for 3 days 2 nights Halong Bay - Cat Ba Island Package Tour for US $ 50
- departed from Hanoi to Haiphong - Halong Bay at 8:00 a.m. by mini-bus
- returned to Hanoi after the 3 days 2 nights Halong Bay - Cat Ba Island Tour
- stayed at Bodega Hotel for few hours
- bought train ticket to the Hanoi Station for Lao Cai (train fare - 135,000 dong; soft seat)
- checked-out around 8:00 p.m. and immediately went to the station
- departed from Hanoi Station at 9:15 p.m.
- arrived early in the morning from Lao Cai Station @ 4:30 a.m.
- sticky rice breakfast for 3,000 dong
- checked-in @ Bodega Hotel
- changes US $ 40
- bought airport mini-bus ticket for US $ 2
- bought 10 pcs of Tray Cay Sai (10 pcs @18,000 dong = 180,000 dong)
- dinner with Austrian Traveller @ BBQ Vietnam
- checked-out @ 10:30 a.m.
- departed at 11:00 a.m. going to the airport
date written : July 13, 2006)
Finally, am here now in Hanoi!!! Just arrived this morning with sleepless night!!! Tomorrow is my last day to complete my
"South to North Vietnam Great Boatman Escapade : Dju Vui Vai Tour"???
Though I may not able to visit Halong Bay and Sapa this time, promise that I will return to Hanoi for a great revenge tour!!!
Catch me if you can...
Open Bus Tour: Saigon - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Hanoi
1st stop : Saigon - Nha Trang - 12 hours (July 8)
2nd stop: Nha Trang - Hoi An - 12 hours (July 9)
3rd stop : Hoi An - Hue - 4 hours (July 9)
4th stop : Hue- Hanoi (July 12)
(Next destination>>> India & Nepal...
Would you like to try this kind of super-mega budget tour to the max???
"Quick Info 2007"
a) Hanoi to Noc Bai Airport
mini-bus fare - 2 US $/per head
Location: Quang Trung near Hoan Kiem Lake
b) Forex - 1 US $ = around 16,000 dong
c) Hanoi Station to Lao Cai Station (gateway to Sapa & China)
train fare: soft seater = 135,000 Dong
Accomodation/New Years Eve
Headed to Hanoi Dec 29 for 2 or 3 days and just wondering about accomodation. Should I book something now from Australia or just rock up at 8.30 pm (approx) and try and find a place? Any suggetsions for good cheapish accom?
Also, what's the go with New Years eve in Hanoi? Big Party? Any good places to suggest?
RE: Accomodation/New Years Eve
From now till Chinese New year is the peak season in Hanoi. So, it's always better if you make a booking from now. There are many mini hotels in hanoi but not really cheap. Pls let me know your budget then I can give you some hints. New year eve in Hanoi, you can walk along the Nha Tho street and around Hoan Kiem Lake. It's really joyful. Nice trip huh.
RE: Accomodation/New Years Eve
You'd better to stay in BODEGA HOTEL, which ideally located in old quarter of Ha Noi and it has many differences of class of rooms, that is the best place to stay in Ha Noi for both business or leisure traveler.
Wish all the best for you guys.