Camellia Hotel 4

44 Hang Giay St., Hanoi, Vietnam

Camellia 4 Hanoi Hotel
Agoda.com Expedia.com HostelBookers.com

• nguyenfrancois's Profile Photo

nice hotel & very friendly staff

The staff were helpful, the food was superb and the rooms were clean, nice view ,modern, quite and great value for money. When we returned to Hanoi from our Ha Long bay voyage we rebooked as it's a good central location. The most impressive gesture came when the manager offered us a shower free of charge after we returned from a day trip to the Perfume Pagoda to collect our bags before boarding an over night train to Hue

Unique Quality: great view to hanoi old quarter

Directions: just 5 minutes to Hoan Kiem lake and water puppet show

• nice hotel in great location

Great hotel with really friendly staff and great rooms. One of the best stays in SE asia at a great price!

Unique Quality: nice city view with clean room

Directions: just 5 minutes to Hoan Kiem lake

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Definetly not on our A list

We prebooked this hotel as we were arriving in Hanoi on a late flight and did'nt want to wander the streets at night looking for a place to stay. The hotel sounds fantastic on their web site and had quite a few rave reviews on VT and also on Lonely Planet's TT Forum.
    It was a huge disappointment. Everything about the place was old and very worn looking. The young staff was not very professional and seemed more interested in talking to their friends that kept popping in than looking after their paying guests. Even the free buffet breakfast the next morning was very old and tired looking. This hotel was not worth the $24 we paid. To be honest, we would have been disappointed even at $15/night. We checked out early the next morning and stayed at the Hong Ngoc Hotel, closer to the lake. Definitely a thumbs down on this one.

Unique Quality: Old and Shabby

Directions: In the old quarter

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Phan Thai Hotel (Camellia 4) - Part 2

The photographs here are taken from our room, which is double bed. It is big, clean and there is a small balcony with view of the Old Quarter area below. The toilet is brightly lit and clean. Overall, the room is satisfactory for the amount of money which we are paying per night (about US$20).

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Phan Thai Hotel (Camellia 4) - Part 1

Thanks to the recommendation by Jen (VT member imstress), my wife and I decided to stay at the Phan Thai Hotel along Hang Giay Street at the famous Old Quarter of Vietnam. This hotel is one of the few hotels of the Camellia chain of budget hotels in Vietnam, and it is good value for money at about US$20 per room. The location is very good, tucked in a quiet corner and yet in the heart of the old quarters. There is also a travel agent ODC Travels at the reception area for you to book tours to nearby attractions such as Halong Bay, Sapa, Perfume Pagoda, Tam Coc etc. You can also arrange with the hotel for airport pick-up service which costs about US$20 one way for a big van enough to seat a few people (this is better and safer than getting a public taxi). As for the room, it is big and clean, and the toilet is good as well (please see part 2 of this tip). Overall, this is a very good hotel at a relatively low cost in Hanoi.

• Cheaper than at reservation

We stayed at this very basic hotel in August during the heavy rainy season, it was recommended by either a guidebook or something but I can't remember right now. Anyway, we reserved by e-mail and it was actually cheaper when we arrived. Had also arranged for pick up at the airport and that was fairly reasonable too, and very efficient.
    The rooms are old and the windows and doors aren't tight fitting, so all the mosquitoes come in. We had to burn mosquito coils all the time. They have several PC's in the lobby where you basically get devoured by mosquitoes while checking your e-mail. The breakfast is really not worth it, although it was included in the price, it seemed a waste of stomach space and time to have it there.
    But its central location in the Old Quarter of Hanoi makes it convenient, and it's friendly enough. It's not as pleasant a hotel as it was said (wherever it was, guidebook or travelocity reviews or something), but it's efficient and cheap.

Unique Quality: I don't think there's anything unique about this hotel, we were a small group and had 3 rooms, but they were all ok and everything worked: phone, tv, elevator, reception, PCs in the lobby, door locks. Oh, sorry, the fridge didn't work very well, but that was the only thing. Hot water in the bathroom but the shower was really old and leaky. We paid $26/double room which we thought was OK, but I think we could have bargained if we had tried.
    This hotel is now part of the Camellia chain of hotels. We haven't seen the other ones, but this one at least is really not as nice as it appears on the HP.

• bcatton's Profile Photo

(Phan Thai).

I chose this hotel based on reading a few other recommendations from other people, plus the fact that it was in the Old Quarter about 15 minutes walking distance to Hoan Kiem Lake and i liked what i had read about it.
    The room i stayed in was a 'deluxe' room priced at $26 per night, which included a 'buffet breakfast'. Comes with the following facilities; A/C, Satellite T.V., Refrigerator (with choice of water, soft drinks, beer), telephone, hairdryer and complementary laundry service. My room also had a desk and a double balcony, which was quite nice. (Internet access is in the main lobby, two pc's are available for use, although i found the connection speed pretty slow).
    Service was quite good and staff are helpful. There is also a money changing service available. A big plus was that ODC Travel service is located in the main lobby, which was very handy if you needed to book excursions anywhere.

During my recent visit to Vietnam for a month i stayed here again (one week period), in Room 208.

Unique Quality: If you manage to get a room facing the front of the building you have a view over the Old Quarter with a (small) balcony. There is also wi-fi available, although as mentioned previously the connection speed is pretty slow.

Directions: In the Old Quarter.

• qwert_babe's Profile Photo

Cheap and Good!

Referring to my forum posts (http://forum.virtualtourist.com/1/discussion-233872-1-1-Travel-0-1481679-Hanoi-discussion.html?wosid=iP92A7etFNu6QM0uTZpxC0), you'd realize there have been many varying comments about the hotel. Personally, I liked the hotel - although I must admit that the mattresses (As commented by lyrad in my forum post) are rather old and dingy, but unless you're a princess in a pea sort of person, it was acceptable. For me, most important the hotel must be clean. The bathroom was big and spacious, running water was nice and warm, airconditioning was nice and cold, sheets were clean.... those were good enough for me. Furthermore, I thought the location was good, right smack in the middle of old quarter, near restaurants, and Bia joints, it was good. Unless you have a bigger budget for something better, I thot this place was alright. ( I stayed at the deluxe room for 26usd a night) What I also liked was the flexibility to change or cancel bookings (which could be common among the trade, I'm not sure) without penalty.

Unique Quality: Free Internet. Money Changer Facilities right at the Reception. ODC travel right at the lobby.

• Applelyn's Profile Photo

Clean and Nice

The staff are polite and helpful. ODC travel agency is just beside it in case you need a tour in the outskirts of Hanoi. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is clean (most important). It is also located in the middle of the old quarters and this help you to move around the old quarters easily. There are many cyber cafes, restaurants and tour agencies nearby too. Thanks to Bpacker for her tips.

Unique Quality: I like the service of the staff. I think they are very professional especially the receptionist. For the price, I think the reception

Directions: Hang Giay is split into two. It is located at the side of Hang Buom. From Dong Xuan Market, walk along Dong Xuan towards Hang Duong, turn left into Hang Buom and turn right into Hang Giay. Walk till you reach a T-junction and Phan Thai is in the middle.

• Animas's Profile Photo

In the old quarter

We stayed in deluxe room which is quite big but it is older than you see in the picture from their website.
    Price is fine for me...I payed 33US for triple deluxe room...plus complementary free laundry service.
    They cleaned the room and changed your towel everyday and breakfast was okay.

Unique Quality: Internet free at the lobby 24 hours

• Look elsewhere

This hotel is unacceptable and badly needs to be renovated.

For USD21 per night for a superior room, we got tired bed sheets that needed to be retired, cracked tiles with stains in the toilet, water that wasn't hot, a furry blanket which we dared not use as we felt that there could be other living organisms in it, poor lighting in the room, a corner of the room that was wet, and no dead bolt behind the door - you can only use the key to lock the room from the inside.

And to add to this, the building right beside it was renovating (as of 1st october 2005), so there were loud construction noises. While the room was large, it certainly could not make up for the appalling state of the room, and there certainly are better deals to be had at the same price or less!

The receptionist wanted to keep our passports, saying something about registration but we told them we were not going to let them keep it, and they relented. So do not let them keep your passport!

• lyrad's Profile Photo

Thumbs down to Phan Thai

This hotel came highly recommended with many VT'ers giving glowing reports on it. Must say that I was disappointed not only with the state of the rooms, but also with the attitude of the staff during our three night stay here.

Room:
    While the deluxe room was quite large and clean, it looked and felt old. The bed also had an incredibly uncomfortable sponge mattress that would sink on you if you stay in one position too long. I am quite a light sleeper and didn't have a good night's sleep in the room.

Service:
    The attitude of some of the staff was also below expectations, particularly the girl manning the ODC counter on Saturday evening. She couldn't really help us with our request to book a tour to visit the Perfume Pagoda, instead asking us to come back the following day. The girl at the counter also wanted to charge us US$12 for the taxi pick up, claiming that petrol prices had increased. Luckily I had a print out of the email confirmation which clearly stated the rate at US$10.

All in all, while US$26 per night is rather cheap, I think that there are better accommodation alternatives available in the vicinity at more competitive rates.

Directions: Old quarter

• imstress's Profile Photo

Phan Thai Hotel (Camellia 4)

If you would like to stay in the Old Quarters, Phan Thai Hotel (Camellia 4) would be a good choice.

It is located in Hang Giay St which is away from the main road (less honking).

Price for a double standard room is US$17. If you walkin, ask for the discounted price of US$15 per night.

The prices is inclusive of buffet breakfast and free internet access and local phone call (exclude mobile phones 5,000 VND per call).

Unique Quality: free internet access

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Staying in the Old Quarters

WARNING: Do take this review with a pinch of salt as standards have been slacking here lately. Further checks with other travellers revealed that many have mistaken Camellia Hotel 2 for this hotel so do take note of it before you book your accomodations.

If you're keen to see what life in the Old quarters is like, you'll need to stay in a hotel in close proximity with the buzz of activity.Thanks to another VTer's recommendation, guell, I found a nice hotel smack right in the centre of the quarters.Phan Thai Hotel was excellent choice. Service was good and they had every facility to make you feel comfortable. Best of all, ODC travel service was right at their doorstep! I booked my Perfume Pagoda and Halong Bay trip over there.

TIP: Try to book a deluxe rm, it's on the upper floors, far away from the buzz of the traffic

Unique Quality: Why I like this place:
    1)Close to Ho An Kiem Lake
    2)Cheap Laundry Servies
    3)Deluxe Rm (US$26) had a balcony overlooking rooftops in the Old Quarters, attached bathroom with hot water, bathtub and toiletries.
    4)Free Internet, Cable TV
    5)ODC travel at front lobby
    6)Money changing services

• guell's Profile Photo

Great Location, Reasonably Priced

We found this place in our guidebook and booked online. The price was just above $20 per night with breakfast included. The Phan Thai (or Camellia 4) was perfectly situated right in the old quarter. The constant honking from the thousands of motorbikes took a bit of getting used to, but after a while it was like listening to a babbling brook.

I would highly recommend this place to everyone, but book online, as they tend to sell out. Don’t forget to prearrange for a taxi. Otherwise you will be taken to different hotel. Expect to pay $10 for a taxi whether you prearrange it or not.

Unique Quality: You can’t beat the location!

The lobby has two computers for the guests to use free of charge to access the internet. The connection is not the best, but it gets you there! This quality isn’t unique to this hotel, but it’s nice to have it.

email: phanthai@camellia-hotels.com