Golden Land Hotel

31 Hang Manh St, Hanoi, 10000, Vietnam
Golden Land Hotel
Agoda.com Expedia.com Asiatravel.com

More about Hanoi

The Old Quarter,Ha Noi,Vietnam.The Old Quarter,Ha Noi,Vietnam.

About to head in and through!About to head in and through!

Jorai tomb surrrounded by carvingsJorai tomb surrrounded by carvings

Wade into this without blinking!!Wade into this without blinking!!

Flooding in Vietnam

Hi there,

would appreciate very much the most recent info on flooding situation in Vietnam? what are the the most affected areas besides Hanoi? I am scheduled to leave for my trip this Friday, Nov. 7. and wonder how it might affect my trip.

many thanks in advance, Olya

by om_212

thanks for the info. this is good news, the bad news that it is going South ;(, as I am to go there as well.

by JonnyVN

The rain down here in Saigon is mainly just late afternoon (had a couple of big ones after Hanoi downpour) but mainly bright and sunny. The centre is going to be wet tho

by dragonfr7

Hi Olya,

By now you should already be in country. If you get this in time, can you send a quick update on the situation in Hanoi to see if I need to change plans. I'm set to get there in 2 weeks, but am just concerned if the flood cleanup will take a while... hopefully not, for your visit as well!

Also, I thought http://www.handspan.com/ was a pretty good outfit when i used them several years back to go to Hai Phong & Ha Long bay.

Thanks.

-Bo

by om_212

yes, I made it without any problem, even cought my Air Asia flight in one hour ;) there is not signs of flood in Hanoi, the weather is great, sunny and warm around +28C. thank you everyone for your tips REALLY appreciated. best Olya

by Djan13

Hi everybody!

I'm leaving for Vietnam this week end from Bangkok. I'd need some advise please.
I had originally planned to go from Hanoi to Saigon in 2 weeks with a main stopover in Hoi An.

I wonder now if because of the flood ant its consequences (affect on the mood of the peoples, sanitarian issues, higher prices...)it wouldn't be more cleaver to start for Saigon and go up North to Hanoi.

Or should I stick with my programm?

Any suggestions is very welcome,

Cheers!

Djan

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Multipurpose motorbike (Pls, don't try this in KL)

by dfactor

Yup, you have to see it to believe it. Though how they do it is quite a mystery to me. This shot was taken on our back from a 3D2N trip to Ha Long Bay. A couple of days back, while strolling in the old quarter, I saw postcards of something similar. And find it hard to believe. And was pleasantly surprise to see this myself.
Being a muslim country, you definitely can't see anything like this in the streets of KL. They will lock you up in jail for good. ( I mean the officials from the Syariah court, and not the officials from PETA. )

Sapa - Visit the hill-tribes of NW Vietnam

by Willettsworld

Located in Vietnam's remote northwest mountains, Sapa is famous for both its fine, rugged scenery and also its rich cultural diversity. It is an incredibly picturesque town and area that lies in the Hoang Lien Son mountain range near the Chinese border in north-western Vietnam, known as "the Tonkinese Alps". Sapa and its surrounding region is host to many hill tribes, as well as rice terraces, lush vegetation, and Fansipan, the highest peak in Vietnam. However, as a result of a recent surge in popularity Sapa has rapidly become a tourist hotspot where money is the new drug of choice. Don't be put off by the rush, your explorations of the surrounding countryside will be worth the trouble.

I travelled to Sapa as part of a 4 day/3 night tour with et-pumpkin who are based in Hanoi. Everything was done for me and I travelled from Hanoi to Sapa via train and bus where they even have their own 1st class train carriage which was very nice. I arrived at their hotel in Sapa called the Pumpkin Hotel and got given a good sized twin room all to myself plus I had all my meals here during the 2 days I stayed here before and after my 2 day trek.

Day 1 of my trek started the following day which took me from Sapa to a village called Ta Vin where we stayed with a Zay family overnight. After climbing down from Sapa and just making out the rice terraces through the mist, we walked through the village of Lau Chai, after having lunch, past pigs, ducks, buffalo and some lovely wooden houses. We got to our overnight home stay in the village of Ta Vin where our beds were upstairs on the floor while they cooked our evening meal on a small open fire in the kitchen area where the food was fantastic.

Day 2 of the trek started with breakfast and we left and started to make our way up the valley along some very muddy paddy fields where my feet slipped all over the place even though I had on brand new boots which I had bought in Sapa. We came to the village of Giang Tachai which is a Zao village and visited inside a house which was very interesting. The village had only had electricity for the last couple of years and the school had only been built in 2004. We had lunch near the river and I said goodbye to my fellow tour party as I had to make my way back to Sapa and they went their way to another village for another overnight stop. I got back to Sapa and spent the night at the same hotel.

Day 3 took me down to the cultural village of Cat Cat. A 17-year old Black Hmong girl, who was on the first day trek to Ta Van, took me here where we headed downhill past wooden houses selling more textiles. We then came to a museum sort of place which displayed some ethnography items such as musical instruments, tools etc and then carried on down to some waterfalls. I then had the afternoon to myself before being taken to Lai Cai and the overnight train back to Hanoi. I really enjoyed my tour and trek and it was really good fun to stay with an ethnic minority family.

Tall and tan and young and lovely...

by gypsysoul73 about Ipa-Nima

Even if you aren't a shopper, you will be seduced by the countless chic boutiques in Hanoi, not unlike those in Paris. The favorite was the sought-after and uber-funky Ipa-Nima )whose main claim to fame are the handbags designed by Christina Yu.

Make sure you go to their main shop in Hai Ba Trung! Chic and trendy purses, shoes and accessories at least $70 on a handbag

Fixed meters!

by Mr.Sparkle

It's no secret that some taxis in Hanoi cost more money. There are many taxis running with fixed meters. Don't get burnt by this. Have your hotel restaurant call you a taxi. there is no extra charge for this. Two legit taxi companies are;

Hanoi taxi: 853-5353

C.P. taxi: 826-2626

Hope you don't ripped off!

Delightful Dessert

by anoum

We accidentally found this dessert shop after we came out of the Temple of Literature. Apparently this type of shop selling dessert is very popular with the locals. You can either have it hot or cold. A bowl of hot will cost 5,000 Dong and cold, 6,000 Dong. You can only choose one ingredient. :-( Each of us tried one type and all of us agreed that everyone of them was good!

Comments