Hanoi Atlantic Hotel

30 Hang Cot St, Hoan Kiem dist, Hanoi, 00844, Vietnam
Hanoi Atlantic Hotel
Agoda.com Booking.com Hostelworld.com

More about Hanoi

Ngoc Son Temple,Hoan Kiem Lake,Ha Noi, Vietnam.Ngoc Son Temple,Hoan Kiem Lake,Ha Noi, Vietnam.

The OrchestraThe Orchestra

In front of Uncle Ho MausoleumIn front of Uncle Ho Mausoleum

Bridge to Ngoc Son TempleBridge to Ngoc Son Temple

Dong Van Highlands

by travelholics

Hi,

I am travelling to Vietnam on Feb 13th and about a week or so later will go to Hanoi. I am planning to keep a couple of days for Hanoi and then go on to visit Dong Van Highlands in the Ha Giang Province. Its about 350 km from Hanoi. Problem is, that's all I know about it, apart from the fact that its an astounding and spectacular place filled with streams and mountains. So here are my questions:

Has anyone been to this placE?

How do you get there?

Stay options

How many days do I need to see the place properly?

Please give me all the info possible! Don't want to miss out on this fabulous place!

Thanks!

Re: Dong Van Highlands

by manooe

Yup, it s fabulous place; however its hard to get there by a public transportation. You have better book a tour on a travel agent or if U love challenges,just rent a bike in Hanoi then do-it-urself.

Itinerary length should be at least about 4d3n.
It goes like this

Day 1: Hanoi - Ha Giang
Day 2(sat): Ha Giang - Dong Van (Sat is when ethnic market happen)
Day 3: Dong Van - Meo Vac - Ha Giang
Day 4: Ha Giang - Ha Noi (another option is,instead of Hanoi, going directly to Lao - Bac Ha - Sapa)

Hope this help

Dong Van Highlands

by thanhvu65

Hi,
You may take this tour:
ODC Travel Co,Ltd
65 Ly Nam De - Hoan Kiem - Hanoi
Website: http://www.odctravel.com.vn

Day 1: Hanoi - Ha Giang (-, L, D)
Ha GiangPick you up at your hotel and transfer to Ha Giang (318km). On the way to Ha Giang, exploring the daily life of countryside in Tuyen Quang. Arrive in Ha Giang, free time. O/ N in Ha Giang.ODC Travel
Day 2: Ha Giang - Quang Ba - Meo Vac (B, L, D)
Dong VanAfter breakfast at your hotel, visit Quang Ba Pass (Heaven’s Gate - 1,650 m high), visit Quyet Tien Market on hill side, then explore Yen Ninh town, ethnic minoritys village. Then transfer to Meo Vac. O/N in Meo Vac.
Day 3: Meo Vac - Dong Van - Ha Giang (B, L, D)
P5
Today visit Meo Vac Market, admire minority people exchanging the goods, then back to Dong Van, visit Lung Cu - named "Rock Plateau". Visit the Lo Lo, Dzay and Hmong minority people and visit King Meo - Vuong Chi Sinh. O/N in Ha Giang.

Day 4: Ha Giang - Tuyen Quang - Ba Be (B, L, D)
After breakfast, drive through Chiem Hoa, Tuyen Quang, Na Hang to Ba Be. On the way to Ba Be, visit Tay, Nung minorities village and windwill. Arrive in Ba Be, take a boat to visiting Tay village. O/N at a local home of Tay in Polu village.
Day 5: Ba Be Lake - Thai Nguyen - Hanoi (B, L,-)
Take a boat on the Nang River to visit Ba Be Lake, visit Ba Goa islet. After lunch at Ba Be Lake, continue to visit Puong Cave, Dau Dang Waterfall. Then drive back to Hanoi. Stop over in Thai Nguyen province for visiting Museum of the cultures of Vietnam’s Ethnic groups

Travel Tips for Hanoi

stop making an ass of yourself over a few dong

by richiecdisc

Once on the lake, we were quickly called over by some locals to join their impromptu party. We were happy to grab a space on their blanket, as it was already quite crowded. They offered us some local snacks and we opened up a bottle of wine we had bought for the occasion. They enjoyed practicing their English and one young girl, fascinated with Doreen’s long blond hair, sat behind her and stroked it most of the evening. She felt a bit like a golden monkey in a cage but the obvious genuine affection with which she did it, made it more amusing than annoying. The scene around us was much the same with groups of people sharing their goods and company on big blankets. The fireworks came and went but what we will always remember are the smiles of our welcoming hosts.

Since we were leaving the next day, we went back to the hotel, half expecting another problem with our tickets. Surprisingly, the lobby was full of people from the hotel, sitting around much like at the lake. We were warmly greeted and given our tickets immediately. I told them this was a good sign for the New Year and we were then offered some local delicacies associated with the holiday. It was a nice continuation of the earlier feelings and a relief to finally have our ticket out of town in hand.

Later that evening, in our room, I took a closer look at the ticket. The real price was in Dong, the local currency, and far less than what we paid. I expected as much but made no comment on it when I left the next morning. It was, after all, a New Year. In fact, the Year of the Monkey, and I figured it was time to stop making an ass of myself over a few Dong. Just the same, I made a mental note to buy my tickets at the train station next time.

Be invited and get gifts from a woman monk!

by kokoryko

Chua Sai pagoda

Walking back to the city, from the area of Trich Sai, on the west shore of Ho Tay lake, I came across the Sai Pagoda (Chua Sai).
Some sorts of garden dwarves welcomed me at the entrance, in a nice garden, with basins surrounded by orange trees.
Only local people here, coming for praying and meditation; I was very moved when a monk woman offered me a tea in a room nearby a prayer room, and when I left, she offered me star fruits and cooked rice (I did not look like a beggar!!!!); again communication was with eyes, and very few words; she is on the third picture.
Chua Sai is very ornate, lots of statues, flowers, I am more used to austere places, when I visit places of prayer or meditation. I just admired the place, looked at the strange statues (picture4), where I could recognise Buddha and a sort of a Shiva. I do not know who all these statues (picture 5) represent, what they mean, all this richness is very impressive. I spent one hour there, walking in the garden, drinking tea, looking at the temple, watching people pray; yes it is good for interior peace.

West shore of Ho Tay lake, North of Thuy Khue Avenue

Books, books, and more books

by pez about Mr. Dinh's Hip-Mounted Bookstore

Mr. Dinh has been in business on Nha Tho Street for 9 years. Need something to read at bedtime? A travel guide to Vietnam or Hanoi? A Vietnamese phrasebook? Mr. Dinh has it all. He's a nice guy. Don't be fooled my imitations. Dinh is pronounced "ding" Sells, exchanges new and secondhand books. Much less than the US price, normally. Many books are used.

Trustworthy Moto Driver

by smuss49

I met this guy outside of the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum & he turned out to be a great find. Inexpensive, knowledgeable, & friendly, Thang was my guide for 4 days in Hanoi. Give him a call if in Hanoi by yourself and in the mood for seeing the sights while shooting around the city on the back of a Moto.

Good breakfast buffet at a great price -- $2USD!

by bpwarne about Sunshine Restaurant & Cafe

I ate at this estaurant one morning in April, 2008. Had a very good breakfast buffet for $2USD. Large selection of fruit, juices, hot entrees, cold cereals, baguette, pastries, toast, tea/coffee. Friendly, clean, small, only a few tables.

Comments