No. 3 Yen Thai, Old Quarter, Hoan Kiem Dist., Hanoi, 1000, Vietnam

Hanoi Elegance Ruby
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

An excellent hotel, without paying top dollar

This hotel is now called Hanoi Elegance Ruby.

When I went to Hanoi in 1998, the only hotel I felt I could trust was the famous Sofitel Metropole, which is indeed a very good hotel. There wasn't much to choose from at the time. When I returned in 2005 I stayed there again because I couldn't be bothered to try anything else. This time, however, my wife did some research, including on Trip Advisor, and discovered this place. It's not at the luxury level of the Metropole, but it is an excellent hotel, and we left there without a single complaint.

It is right dead centre in the Old Quarter of town among all the shops and markets. As a tourist, it is right where you want to be. Our Family Suite was huge with two king size beds (there were four of us), it had a large flat screen TV, and even a sort of computer that gave us free Internet. The bathroom was large with a bath and separate uber-modern hi-tech shower. The rooms were clean and quiet, and service was good, especially front desk helpfulness.

Both this hotel and the Metropole are very good hotels, and we would stay again at either. The decision would mainly be down to budget. This hotel is an excellent value for what you get, and it is in the better location.

Directions: It is right dead centre in the Old Quarter of town, north of Hoan Kiem Lake.

More about Hanoi Elegance 4

Best Staff, Best Service, Best Hotel in Hanoi

by TripAdvisor Member DTV78

I stayed at the Hanoi Elegance 4 Hotel in early November. Upon arrival, I had the warmest welcoming ever. All the staff welcomed you like if you were royalty. Whilst checking in, out came a glass of lemon squash - just as if the staff could read my mind that I was thirsty - not even a 5 star hotel would give you this kind of attention.

I stayed in a Standard Double room. The room was very clean, modern bathroom facilities (better than those when I stayed in Hong Kong and KL), internet, cable tv, air con, safe-lock....etc...and at 35 USD ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Apart from the hotel being new, what sets it apart from any other hotels that I have stayed in is the Service. From the moment that I checked in and checked out, it was 5 star all the way. The staff would bend backwards to help and assist you.

Congrats to all Staff and Management. Definitely will stay here again.

Great place, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member dcbondo

My wife and I stayed at the Hanoi Elegance 4 twice during a trip through vietnam. We found the place to be very new and fresh, and in a great location for exploring old Hanoi. Particularly impressive was the staff. They were very polite and helpful, particularly the customer service manager, Michael Nguyen. At the end of our trip, my wife and I were hit hard by a stomach bug and could barely get out of bed for 2 days. Michael was very helpful in arranging room for us, even though we were supposed too check out the day we became ill. He also got us medicine and checked in on us often.
Great place, great value.

Great Place, Location and most importantly Staff!!!

by TripAdvisor Member shelkcal

Hanoi Elegance 4 was only opened for about a month or so before we stayed here and boy, what a great find! The standard room that we stayed in was very comfortable albeit a bit small, but extremely clean and safe. We had a free in-room computer to use, fridge, closet, hot water showers and comfy soft beds and duvets (this was the first and last soft bed we ever found in Vietnam).

Not only was the room nice, but the staff made the stay extra special. The front desk and mgmt were so easy to talk to and learn from. It was so sad to leave them all after almost a week's stay. They went above and beyond to help us with our trip planning even after we were finished staying with them.

Even when we came back to Hanoi almost a week later,from the early morning train from Sapa, they allowed us to stay with them to catch up on some much needed sleep, have breakfast, and leave our luggage with them after they even arranged our transport to the airport for Siem Reap, Cambodia. Unbelievable yet is that they didn't even charge us for the 1/2 room stay.

All in all, if you want to stay in a clean, worry free, safe environment, in the heart of Old Town Hanoi, Hanoi Elegance 4 is the place to do it. If you want incredible service and the ability to make some great friends during your stay, then stay here. You won't be disappointed at all.

Between the reception staff aka Tu (Autumn) aka "Supergirl", mgmt, kitchen staff and of course, concierge, Mr. Dung aka "Little Man" aka Mr. Zune, our thoughts are still with you all and we are grateful for your help, patience, hospitality and friendship that you showed us during our stay...floods or no floods!!!!

SimplyPput: My Best Hotel Expereince Ever

by TripAdvisor Member mntneerjay

I cannot say enough good things about the Hanoi Elegance 4 to do it justice, so I will not bore with the details. It is enough to say that I have never had a more positive lodging expereince.

From the start, the e-mail communication with the hotel was timely and accurate. The airport transer was smooth, and the check was accompanied by a fresh fruit drink.

The facilities at the hotel are fine. The lift was fully operational, and the rooms were clean, neat, and safe. Internet, fridge, and safe all in the room. Laundry done quick and the (included) breakfast selection was vast and tasty. The cleaning crew was great, and the "room elves" freshened up the room everytime we went out.

The location can't be beat. The hotel is in the heart of the Old Quarter, but located on a small alley. This means that you are right in the heart of everything, but the alley outside is fairly quiet (by Old Quarter standards).

Best of all was the hotel's staff. They were just wonderful. Friendly, attentive, and willing to do whatever was necessary to make our Hanoi visit perfect. Coming back from a night at Ha Long Bay felt like coming home again, and when we left for good, it was a sad farefell to people who felt like family. I still miss the staff, and thought so highly of them that I am sending a gift basket back to Hanoi from home to thank them for all that they did to make my hoilday perfect.

The only downside to the HE4 is the basic room is pretty small. It is laid out the best it can be, with cabinets and shelving, but there is still just about six inches between the end of the beds and the wall. That said, I looked into the upgraded room facing the street and those rooms are more than adequate in size.

I cannot speak for the other Hanoi Elegance hotels, but I have a feeling that they are all first class. I walked past #1 and #3, and I would say that #4 has the superior location. But I can't imagine going wrong with any of them.

For $40/night, I guarantee you will get more than at the most spendy hotel in town.

Hanoi's Gem

by TripAdvisor Member YukariA

All the staff were polite, friendly and dedicated. You'd get treated like a royal family. Michael, the manager was on top of everything. Excellent location; a block from Silk Street and tailors to have your suits and shirts custom-made. It was handy to go shopping, drop off the shopping, and go out again. It is also close to the trendy Nha Tho street, water puppet theater and Chaka (Hanoi specialty) restaurant and half a block from the best Bun Cha (also Hanoi specialty) vendor and a block from the famous Minh jazz club. Amenity was wonderful; fresh flowers and fruits in the room every day. Slippers were great to kick off shoes from the dusty streets. If you have a water bottle, you can refill in the dining room, but they also provide bottled water. DVD player in the room came very handy as there are so many DVD shops around the hotel selling discs at $1-1.5 a movie. The neighborhood was very safe till late at night. The hotel was spic and span clean. Breakfast was wonderful though coffee could have been better. The only thing was that the shower compartment's light was broken, so it was a bit dark, but no major issue. Water temperature and pressure was nice. We stayed there for 10 nights and it was comfortable throughout our stay. We will definitely stay there again.

Exceeded Expectation

by TripAdvisor Member GontNooh

We recently stayed at the hotel for 4 nights; the first night was in the Junior Suite and the subsequent nights were in the standard suite. We were extremely happy with our stay because:

1. The rooms - the rooms were very tastefully furnished and very very clean!

2. The service - the staff were all very helpful. I was especially impressed by the receptionist when we checked in. Not only did she help with the check in, she also gave us a quick orientation of the hanoi city.

In addition, the staff at the hotel restaurant were all very friendly and attentive.

3. Proximity - it's smacked right in the middle of the Old Quarters and about 7-10 min walk from Hoan Kiem Lake. Very accessible to everywhere!

Brand new super-elegant boutique!

by TripAdvisor Member annapavia

Just opened, I stayed there the third night of my trip in Hanoi, as Elegance 3 was full. Litterally just open, a relaxing safe bright place right in the middle of crowded old quarter. The staff is absolutely nice. They where caring but not pushing. Just warm and professional. On request, they helped me getting a cyclo for all the morning at a reasonable price and sorting out the destinations I wantet to go to. When I came back from the shopping rushing to the airport, the reception manager even gave me paked lunch (not requested, not included, not charged: just his present).
My room, a junior suite on last floor, had a balcony, fresh fruit, big screen and free pc with internet in the room

Brand-new, modern decor, great location at a very reasonable price

by TripAdvisor Member Kim025Singapore

Elegance 4 satisfies all my criteria for a great hotel
-new and modern( bonus -computer and DVD in family suite)
-great location
-reasonable price
-very helpful and professional staf
-delicious breakfast

Could go shopping by myself even at night as the boutiques are nearby. Every morning at 6 am, my husband and I would walk to the nearby Hoam Kiem lake. Water puppet theatre, Green Tangerine, night market on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Metropole hotel, Opera house are all within walking distances.
Hotel staff also gave us good tips such as buying G7 coffee at Hang Buom, Christmas decor at Hang Ma and depending only on Hanoitourist taxi and Mai Link taxi.

Staying at Elegance 4 greatly enhanced our stay in Hanoi. Will recommend this hotel to friends.

Great property, employees, and location in Hanoi's Old Quarter

by TripAdvisor Member LostWanderluster

We can not say enough about this property and the employees who help run it. Our stay was thoroughly enjoyable and upon leaving we WANTED to leave tips --- much different than the reaction tipping often feels like. The staff was always helpful and upbeat --- ALWAYS. I would suggest this property to anyone traveling on a normal budget. The nicer rooms (suites) are very roomy and in the front of the building. The regular rooms face the back and can be just a bit tight (especially with twin beds). I would suggest taking a room on one of the top floors as they are more quiet.
The location is also perfect in terms of being in the Old Quarter and close to most everything. Try them, you will like them.

Hated Hanoi but loved Elegance 4

by TripAdvisor Member DanAndLisaSydney

Pros ... Extremely courteous and professional English-speaking staff. Great breakfast service. Free internet in the room. Big comfortable beds. Nice bathrooms with enclosed showers. Big TV. New and clean. Located on a quiet side street in a busy area. Complementary fruit. Exceptional value for the opening promotional price of US$40. Hotel transfer to the airport no dearer than a public taxi

Cons (minor quibbles) ... The twin beds in the superior room cut the room in half. No option of paying the room deposit using a credit card (if I remember correctly). Few English-speaking TV channels worth watching. Couldn't find our pick-up driver at the train station. Internet crashes

I'm not surprised Elegance 4 is getting such great reviews