30 - 34 Hang Manh St, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam

See Amenities
BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Central, comfortable & affordable

by written on September 30, 2010

My stay was at the Hong Ngoc Hotel 1, located off Silk Street and a 10-min walk to Hoan Kiem Lake. I stayed here twice, when I first arrived in Hanoi and after I returned from Halong Bay. The hotel is located in 2 buildings, both in front of each other (probably due to a hotel extension) and I got to stay in both. The reception is in the main building along with the restaurant & gym.

Rooms in traditional Vietnamese decor with wooden furniture, comfortable beds & tiled floor (bring your own slippers if you don't fancy cold floors). There was free wifi in the main building, but not in the "new wing" (or at least I couldn't find a signal). There is a pc with internet located near the elevators in the main wing in case you didn't bring your own laptop.

Staff are friendly and helpful, even though they spoke little English. Breakfast was simple, some local & western items on the menu but ultimately my favorite was the coffee!

There are a couple convenience store just outside the hotel to buy drinks, snacks & essentials. I bought bottled water because you can't drink tap water & you'll need a lot of water in Hanoi especially in the summer months.

Unique Quality: It's a cute boutique hotel located within walking distance to major attractions e.g Hoan Kiem Lake, Water Puppet Theater, Cathedral, Silk Street & many local / international eating places. Definitely will stay here again if I return to Hanoi

Directions: From Hoan Kiem Lake, walk along Silk Street or Hang Gai and when you come to Hang Man street on the right, walk another 20m and the hotel is located on both sides of the street.

Carlos.C.Perez's Profile Photo

Best in town

by written on July 9, 2010

My wife & I stayed in a Deluxe room in the second building opposite the main reception. I chose to move there for a quiet ambiance and more privacy. One thing strange but for us is the benefit is that this new building is just having the rooms , not restaurants but more quiet, clean… However, because of that we walk (like 30 seconds) to the main building for breakfast or dinner (across the street).
Apart from very well-manner room service staff, for being in the center of Hanoi, our room was spacious with stunning bathroom, comfortable bed… In exchange it has the great location in the city, and provides easy access for anywhere else : ATM machine, groceries shops which is only some blocks away.
In all, I believe that this hotel is the best in this town.

Unique Quality: Rooms feature with exquisite wooden furniture, that is the perfect combination of timeless tradition and moment comfort. Nice street view from 6th foor.
Delicious fruits and cakes in breakfast….

Directions: Few minutes to Hoan Kiem Lake , St Joseph Church
Hanoi Garden Restaurant next door.

NYTim's Profile Photo

In the heart of the old city.

by written on November 10, 2009

I had a huge room at the back of the hotel. It was very quiet and windowless. The lack of windows was a small annoyance. There was a very efficient AC in the room which seemed to exchange air at a decent rate. The room had a mini bar and a safe. The size of the room allowed me to scatter my belongings will nilly on the extra bed. The room had a network cable for high speed connectivity. The place was spotless and the staff were helpful and spoke really good English. The breakfast was western pedestrian fare but I made a right turn out of the lobby and had my morning coffee with a bowl of noodle soup -Pho. Pictures to Follow.

Unique Quality: It is in the heart of the Old City very close to bars and restaurants and Hoan Kiem Lake.

Directions: Backpacker District

bpwarne's Profile Photo

Spotless, great service

by written on June 4, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in May, 2007. We were very pleased with the staff's attitude and helpfulness. The room was medium sized with very nice high quality furnishings, the bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. Ammenities included A/C, TV, fridg, hair dryer, in room safe and free full breakfast buffet. Floors are hardwood and tile. There is free unlimited internet service provided in the dining area. Hotel has an eleevator also. Our room was all the way in the back and was extremely quiet, we never heard any street noise, a rarity in this area. We paid $31.50/night total, including breakfast. This was negotiated from their $40 walk in asking rate.

Unique Quality: Very friendly and helpful staff.

Directions: old quarter area, two blocks from Hoan Kiem Lake

stevemt's Profile Photo

Reasonable hotel chain

by written on May 14, 2007

Pleasantly supprised at the hotel considering the price paid.

Very central in the old quarter, easy walking distance to many attractions

Breakfast adequate, and apparently they will store luggage for people who are coming back.

There are 4 of them in the Old quarter.

SLLiew's Profile Photo

Budget Business Hotel in Hanoi

by written on February 2, 2007

Hong Ngoc has 4 different locations. Stayed at one of the newer branch at 99 Ma May, in the Old Quarters, near Lake Hoan Kiem. So close to all the travel agents and tourist restaurants.

Newly furnished with nice traditional Chinese wood furniture. Breakfast is included with both Vietnamese and International (not either or). So have a hearty breakfast of eggs and bread with orange juice and beef noodles with coffee.

There is a nice elevator. Only thing is you have to wake up the hotel staff who will sleep on the lobby floor when you come back late at night.

Choose a room with balcony into the street.

Highly recommended. Satelite television, small room but good hot showers, safe deposit box in the room and hair dryer, fridge included.

Very good value

by written on December 20, 2006

I was travelling with two toddlers. So to play safe I booked into the 3-star Majestic Salute for the first 3 nights. When in Hanoi, I randomly walked into a hotel I fancied and decided to move there after coming back from Halong Bay.

I was glad I found the 2-star Hong Ngoc at Luang Van Can. For 20USD less, I got a bigger, and quiter room, in a more convenient location. My room was on the 8th floor, which meant I had to climb one flight of stairs because the lift only goes as far as the 7th floor. But it was absolutely quite. Cleanliness, hygiene and room service was on par if not better than the MS.
Compared to the MS, what HN did not provide was the GYM, Jacuzzi, massage, somebody making ommelettes and noodles for you during breakfast, bath-robes, somebody to top up your tea during breakfast, tea making facilities in your room (they left a flask of hot water in the room everyday, so we could make milk for our children easily. for other it is a flask of hot tea). May be their front-desk staff's English is not completely fluent, but they were eager, direct and quite interesting characters.

I did not check out the other 2-star hotels in the old quarter. But based on my experience with Hang Ngoc I think they could be the best value-for-money for stays in Hanoi.

P.S. On one night I returned to the hotel after 11pm. I was loitering at the weekend market. To my horror the door was locked. I knocked on the door and realized 2 staff were actually awake and stationed near the door, surfing the net or something. I don't know why they do that, probably just to save some electricity, and allow their staff to sleep later in the night. I guess you can always wake them up if you knock hard enough.

Unique Quality: It is a really convenient location (Luang Van Can). On this street itself, they have 4 stalls selling buns, 1 noodle stall, a fruit juice stall. Hapro-mart and a laundry shop were round the corner. Hang Bac with all the money changers and tour agencies is one block away. The lake and those digital photography shops is about 3-minute walk away. Weekend market is 1-minute away. Also, on the eighth floor you have a serene, panaromic view of the old quarter without the noice, totally quite.

Directions: Old quarter

hientonkin's Profile Photo

No hassle

by written on July 11, 2006

3 Hong Ngoc hotel in Hanoi. Hong Ngoc hotels do not work like the other mini hotels doing in the Old Quater. Their business is hotel, and they concentrate to accommodation, not tours ( I heard a lot of people who had bad experience with cheap hotels & high price tours ). Stay in style with Hong Ngoc.
Hong Ngoc 1 ( 3*): at 34 Hanh Manh street. Good location which is in heart of Old Quater ( Near the "bun cha" store at 1 Hang Manh ). Friendly and helpful staff. Deluxe front rooms are nicer with balcony of small street. Restaurant is decorated well. Saunna & massage room at 3rd floor which can be provided sometimes for whom need a quick shower if you check-out at 12:00 already but still waiting for nigh train/flights - Ask the reception if you need that ( for free of course ). Rooms from 50$ per night, included buffet breakfast & tax. Be noticed they have one part without elevator. :(
Hong Ngoc 2 (2*): at 14 Luong Van Can street. This hotel is located too well, only a few metres far from the main lake. Smaller than Hong Ngoc 1 . But kool view of the crowded street with balcony deluxe room too. The twin room 502 is good ( if you want to have the twin with front balcony). Rooms from 40$ per night included buffet breakfast.
Hong Ngoc 3 (2* or 1.5*): at Hang Bac street. quite the same size as Hong Ngoc 2. Location in the heart of backpacker's area. price as Hong Ngoc 2.

Unique Quality: If you are on the trip to Sapa or Halong, the reception is very helpful to keep your baggage here until you come back ( even you dont stay there anymore).
Also free for people who come in the early morning and hasnt had room yet to use the saunna and massage room for changing clothes, have a shower.. etc..

lyrad's Profile Photo

by written on April 13, 2006

We put up at this hotel for half a day as we needed a place to rest and refreshen up after our train journey from Sapa and before our evening flight. This hotel had decent, clean rooms and friendly staff who let us check out the room before committing. Didn't really check out the full range of services, but they had a well-stocked travel library in the lobby with a number of guidebooks and travel magazines for guest use.

Note that there are a few hotels with the same name. The one we stayed in was along Hang Bac Street in the old quarter.

gaolei's Profile Photo

Just Another No Star Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 7, 2006

This hotel is a typical cheap no star third world hotel. The noise from the street is like you are sleeping on the curb. The room is adequate, but that's it. The cheap carpet is covered with stains and burns. the bead is like a rock and the shower head sprays everwhere but on the person taking the shower. Other than that, it isn't that bad.

Unique Quality: the room is full of carved chinese looking heavy wood furniture. The bed is looks like antique Chinese. That part of the stay is nice.
The TV has some english movie channels, but no western news.

lovemyr1's Profile Photo

Closed

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 21, 2006

Our flight was delayed for 4 hours so when we arrived in Hanoi, we completed expected to be able to check in to our hotel room and just go straight to bed. Didn't happen. This hotel closes at 11:00PM. Yes, it actually closes. So we were basically left out on the street.

Frustrated, we went to one of the only other hotels in the city that was open. Of course, it cost 3 times more than Hong Ngoc but we didn't care at that point.

elpariente's Profile Photo

En el centro del Meollo

by written on November 8, 2005

En el caos de Hanoi y para empezar nos costo un poco , sobre todo a Mercedes que es la que sube a ver la habitacion y a negociar los precios
Estabamos en el techo de la parte antigua en una torre donde se veian todos los tejados

xaver's Profile Photo

I loved this place

by written on December 10, 2003

Arrived here just for casualty as, the taxi driver did not bring me to the hotel I chosed, and I must thank him.
The hotel itself is nothing special, confortable normal rooms with bathroo and a/c or fan.
What made my stay great was the staff, incredibly friendly and helpful, that was probably the reason why I chosed Hanoi as my base of all the trip in Vietnam and Laos.

Unique Quality: The staff.
And, for 15 dollars they even provide toothbrush paste in the toilette.

Nearby Hong Ngoc Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Hanoi Travel Forum

Need advice about Hanoi, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Hanoi and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Hanoi hotel reviews

Favorites
Airport to Hanoi
Viet Nam Visa
Transportation
As they called motorbike taxi
Transportation
Cyclo a better way to get around
Avoid at all costs
Restaurants
good place to meet curious young locals
fresh air