Hong Ngoc Hotel 2

Agoda.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hong Ngoc Hotel 2

Living like the locals in Hanoi

by lindyz about Hong Ngoc Hotel 2

A budget 2 star hotel, with adequate facilities if you like roughing it a little! In the centre of the "Old Quarter" and very handy to great shopping

Great Hotel for Solo Ladies Hanoi

by cafank about Hong Ngoc 3 Hotel

Lovely stay. I had a single room, good bathroom and at the back of the hotel was very quiet. Front rooms were a bit noisy but still looked OK. Nothing particularly unique but the guys really looked after me - great individual service. You can bargain for rates during quiet times - non holidays, weekdays.

Our adventures in Vietnam

by lindyz

"Hanoi and Halong Bay"

Our flight left Sydney on Friday 17th Feb 2006 at 11.35am and arrived in HCMC at 3.50pm, a 2hr wait, then to Hanoi at 6pm. We got to our Hotel very late about 10pm very tired. We stayed at 1of the Hong Ngoc Hotels in Hanoi, it was a budget hotel in a package we had booked to do Halong Bay. When we were going up to our room, we both became excited because we were on the top floor, so we thought we may have the penthouse suite!? Well we couldnt have been more wrong. We were in a tiny little room under the laundry. The beds were half the size of a single and hard as rock. We woke up the next morning feeling very tired, opened the window hoping to see a beautiful view. We were right in the heart of the "Old Quarter" and all we could see was slums, rooftops and laundry and it was grey, cloudy and raining.
And then my headache worsened and I started vomitting - another migraine. I really wanted to go home. Our first day was spent doing very little a stroll and we went to the Water Puppet Theatre. This picture was when this pineapple woman pretty much put the wooden stick on my shoulder and Im like going "no no no" and she's like "you take photo" and Im still like "no no no" and she's like "YOU TAKE PHOTO!!!" Ok so now she kinda seems to be getting a bit angry so I said to Tracy take the photo, which she did. And then she says "NOW you MUST buy my pineapples!!!" So after trying to get her exorbitant price down a little, we ended up buying 2 rather expensive pineapples. Anyway the next morning we left for our Halong Bay trip. We were allowed to leave all our stuff in the room. So we left the 2 pineapples in the fridge. Get back from Halong Bay, and THE BLOODY PINEAPPLES WERE GONE! The room staff must have taken them! So thats my story of getting ripped off by the Pineapply Lady of Hanoi!

Day 2 - our pick-up for Halong Bay came at 8.30am - we were off and ready for adventure, weather was cold, wasnt really expecting our first purchase in Vietnam to be a fur lined coat! It was a 3hr trip to Halong Bay and we boarded our "Junk" at about 1pm. Halong Bay is indeed magical, it wouldve been even nicer if the sun had shone just once the whole time we were there! I would recommend an overnite stay on a Junk in Halong Bay, but do it in summer! Note - none of the glossy brochures will tell you that to get off the boat you need to climb onto the roof and "boat'hop" to get to the wharf!!! We have some funny memories from that trip indeed and some hilarious video footage of the boat trying to park.

Day 3 - We got off boat at the wharf at noon then 3hr drive back to Hanoi. Another very funny memory is our cyclo ride through the streets of the Old Quarter. Anyone who has been to Hanoi will know what the traffic is like. When you are on a cyclo, you are in the front and the guy peddling is in the back, so you are virtually a "Human target" - it was so funny.
Probably our funniest, weirdest and scariest memory happens next. We attempt to go out for tea, after a few vodkas in our room for happy hour! We walk, cant find anyplace interesting, so buy some fanta and go back to the room for a few more vodkas. Same again, go out, cant find somewhere go back to the room, a few more vodkas, then we gave up, we just keep drinking. Go to sleep, wake up the next morning, a little bit hung-over, *** - cant find our money bags anywhere, we searched, then assumed we must have put them in the safe. BUT we cant find the safe key. HOW MUCH DID WE DRINK LAST NITE? We searched our room for an hour, still cant find the key, so I ring reception and ask them to come and open safe. In between then and when they arrived, the key magically appeared on our bedside table, where we had looked a hundred times already. Open the safe and there it all is, money and passports. Pheww we had left the window open all night and had thought that someone had got in and taken it all and we were doomed to live out our dieing days ... in the "Old Quarter"!!! Very funny memory now - but at the time we were dead scared.

"Hoi-Ann"

Day 4 - flight to Hoi-Ann at 11.45am, arrive at our room at the Hoi-Ann Beach Resort at 3pm - WE ARE IN HEAVEN NOW!!! The room is HUGE, the bed is HUGE, it is just gorgeous, and the weather is warmer! We settled in, checked out the resort, changed some money, bought some souvenirs, and then went and had a massage. Baileys Happy Hour on our balcony, then tea in the Restaurant - a perfect day.

Day 5 - Today we caught a bus into town and SHOPPED SHOPPED SHOPPED! We also swam in the pool, had a manicure and a pedicure and had tea at the Restaurant again. Now .... this is a holiday. Nothing to do but shop, relax, eat and get pampered!

Day 6 - Our time in Hoi-Ann had come to an end. More shopping today, then fly to HCMC at 5pm. Got to our Hotel in HCMC at 6.30pm. We stayed at the Duxton and it was 4-5 star pure luxury. Very central and just gorgeous. I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again.

"Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)"

Our time in HCMC was mainly spent shopping. We also managed to fit in each and every day one hour of sunbaking and swimming at the pool. We did most of our buying at the Ben Tanh Markets which were only about a 15 minute walk from us. We only did 2 tours. A day trip on the Mekong which was nice, but I wouldnt overly rave about it. We also did the Chu Chi Tunnels half day trip, which we both found fascinating - I would recommend you do this. Especially to go down in the tunnels. There is about a 15metre stretch of tunnel you can go in, which has been made larger for tourists to fit. I felt brave enough to do it, Tracy opted out. However .... once you are in there, crawling through it, it becomes extremely claustrophobic and you just cant wait to get out, and it seems to take forever to reach the end. My favourite Vietnam snap is of me in the tunnel. I will try and locate it - cant find my photos on the pc. GUESS WHAT - I FOUND THEM!

We both thoroughly loved our time in Vietnam and were actually quite proud to have done 2 weeks there - NOT ON A GROUP TOUR, as we were told it could not be done.

My parting memory of Vietnam was a very scary one and one I will never forget. Get to the airport, luggage checked in, as we go to board and hand the lady our boarding pass, she says to me "Wait on the side lady. There is a problem with your luggage and we have found an illegal substance in it" WHAT!!??????? I waited and waited and waited for what seemed like hours. I said to Tracy "Dont you dar get on that plane without me!" Finally they take me all the way back to the Airport entrance. I was nervous as hell, thinking someone had put drugs or something in my suitcase and I would end up in a Vietnam jail. They say dont act nervous or that will make them think you have something to hide - HOW CAN YOU NOT ACT NERVOUS!? Got to my suitcase, opened it, and they said the illegal substance was copy CD's!!!!!!! Can you believe that? They sell them on every street corner, yet it is illegal to take them out of the country?? Admitedly I had lots and I had positioned them all through my suitcase so it looked like I had thousands of them. Tracy had put them all in one pile, so they probably only thought she had a few. Anyway, I talked my way out of keeping them, I didnt want to be nasty to the guys, cos then they would stick it to me, and not put my suitcase on the plane! I made it back to check-in with out 5 minutes to spare and was freaking out all the way back to Sydney, hoping they had actually put my suitcase back on the plane!! GUESS WHAT??? When your case is the last to go on the plane, ITS THE FIRST ONE TO COME OFF!!! What a relief that was ... to see my suitcase ... and to be back in Australia!!!

Overall ... I would not hesitate to go back to Vietnam. Many funny memories and plenty more to do and see and buy!

Hotel with balcony

by darlaf

Hi, Coming to Hanoi in March-want to find hotel that is reasonable with a balcony so my daughter and I can watch the great street scenes of Hanoi-can't find any hotels that specifically list "balcony"-thanks for your help in advance-Darla

RE: Hotel with balcony

by expatbangkok

I just got back from HONG NGOC HOTEL - HANOI Old Quarter, at 14 Luong Van Can street and it had a small balcony overlooking then street USD 35 per night.

RE: RE: Hotel with balcony

by hientonkin

Yes, Hong Ngoc 14 Luong Van is good choice. I have price 30$.

Old World Charm Modern Conveniences

by dcmbs66

Hi VT'ers,

I asked a similar question on the HCMC branch. Hope to find the same knowledgeable local like JonnyVN here in Ha Noi to get great advice.

I'm travelling with my Mum and will be arriving in Ha Noi around 2-Nov-2007. Probably fly in from HCMC. Looking for a boutique style accommodation, central to things. Any decent small or family run places would be ideal.

Thanks
Chucky

Re: Old World Charm Modern Conveniences

by sheherezad

I recommnend Hong Ngoc Hotel in Luong Van Can - lovely 3 star hotel smack in the middle of the market area. Comes wtih breakfast! And free Internet service, like other hotels - to my amazement! Go to the Youth Hotel for tour bookings or lunch..

Nice bar staff. But beware of wheeling and dealing of front desk staff! But I suppose, with their standard of living, can't blame them for trying to make a (large) cut from aiport taxis they call for you or (small cut) for USD change to Dong!

Re: Old World Charm Modern Conveniences

by JonnyVN

Me again
The Zephyr is a great hotel, just location alone is worth it, but but more expensive than say the Indochine in HCMC
Jonny

Hostel / Hotel in Hanoi

by nicoleang13

Hi, I will be in Hanoi in April. Was browsing on these hotels /hostels and was hoping that someone who had stayed here could give us some advice.

1. Trung Nam Hai Hotel
6. Hanoi Guestroom
7. Central Stars Hotel
8. Trang An Hotel
9. Camellia 4 Hotel

Have anyone also book through http://www.hostelz.com before? Are they reliable?

Many thanks,
Nicole

by don01

Nicole
I'm sorry I havent been to Hanoi yet or had anything to do with those hotels butI'm sure some of the resident gurus will respond when they go online.They're pretty good like that
There's no need to repost your questions if some one knows I'm sure they'll respond

Don

by JonnyVN

What's the budget?

by imstress

I have stayed in Camellia 4 (Phan Thai).
Quite clean and decent.

I booked directly with the hotel and emailed them.
You may like to check my Hanoi page for more details.

by hientonkin

Viet Anh hotel - 2* is nice with price from 18 - 20$. Right in the Old Quater.
Nam Hai 1 ( near market )and Nam Hai 2 ( near Viet Anh, no lift ) all are Ok.
Lucky Hotel on Hang Trong is a bit small but good location.
My recommendation is: Hong Ngoc hotel on 14 Luong Van Can ( front room )- 30$. Or Hong Ngoc 34 Hang Manh street 3 * ( good restaurant ).
Cheers,
Hien

by chung1010

I KNOW YOU WILL BE IN VIETNAM IN APRIL FOR TRAVELING. I THINK YOU TRAVEL BY AIR.AND YOU NEED SOME INFORMATIONS ABOUT THE HOTELS AND SOMEWHERE TO SIGHT SEEING SO I CAN HELP YOU. BECAUSE I'M A VIETNAMESE. THE LIST ABOVE HOTEL IS OK. BUT YOU CAN TRY ANOTHER HOTELS WHICH IS the goverment's hotels. it is very safe an cheap. it cost about $10 to $20, the service is quite good.
the list holtels you can try : Kim lien Hotel - dao duy anh street, ha noi
De la thanh hotel - doi can street, ha noi
Dan toc hotel - lieu giai street, ha noi

Some hotels is the high grade
Melia hotel, ly thuong kiet street, hanoi
Bao son hotel, nguyen chi thanh street, ha noi
vuon thu do hotel, Hoang ngoc phach street
dewoo hotel, kim ma street
sofitel hotel, thuy khue street.
if you need more imformations you can contact to me. my email is bccb122@ yahoo.com. you are welcome.

RE: RE: Hostel / Hotel in Hanoi

by hientonkin

I found out the gov. hotel staff are quite rude and not very helpful.

RE: RE: Hostel / Hotel in Hanoi

by hientonkin

I found out the gov. hotel staff are quite rude and not very helpful.

Comments