Jasper Hotel

42 Hang Cot Str., Hanoi, Vietnam
Otel.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Hanoi

Communal House,33 Pho Bat Dan,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.Communal House,33 Pho Bat Dan,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.

B52 PONDB52 POND

"Cam Tu" Monument??"Cam Tu" Monument??

Water lilly covered lake and Tran Quoc PagodaWater lilly covered lake and Tran Quoc Pagoda

Hanoi's local tour operators

by chriztina

Has anyone used ODC Travel Company for Hanoi day trips and Halong Bay boat trips? I would like to read reviews about them, whether they're a good operator to sign up with.

I would appreciate if anyone has other good local operators to recommend. Thanks.

C

by stamporama

I haven't been to Vietnam but I'm also mapping out my trip there for next month. I was just reading the tips of one VT member (link below) where he mentioned the ODC company so it might be of help to you.

by chriztina

Thanks! I'm also planning a trip at the beginning of July. Hope you have a good holiday in Vietnam!

by JohanIsWeg

We were very happy with Tonkin Travel. Found them approachable, easy to deal and communicate with (via the internet initially) and they had very good, patient, safe drivers. They arranged both our Tam Coc and Halong Bay trips.

by hientonkin

ODC is good budget group tour.
You can try Handspan travel for group tour too.
Hien

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Picture at left is the the...

by l_joo

Picture at left is the the border-wall of China.
Hanoi is a city look just like any city of China if you replace their Roman words but that's my personal opinion. We don't actually stay in Hanoi because we came all the way from Cambodia, Saigon, Mui Ne, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue and finally we arrive here. Our plan is to enter China for further travels, so we decided not to stay in Hanoi for long. But it doesn't mean Hanoi is boring to us, it's just that we want to see something different after so many days in Vietnam. Anyway enjoy my Hanoi page!

sail back in time in Halong Bay

by undiascomootro

IT HAS been said that if you are Vietnamese and haven't been to Halong Bay, you can't really understand your own country. And if you are a foreigner and haven't visited Halong Bay, you can't say you have been to Vietnam.

In 1910 a steamer called the Emeraude was offering unforgettable cruises in Halong Bay. The boat was part of a flotilla that had left Bordeaux in 1858 in search of adventure and fortune. Over more than 50 years they were fortunate enough to find both. Today a luxurious replica of the Emeraude offers overnight cruises on the bay.

As I walked into my cabin, the smell of freshly oiled wood filled my senses. The cabins were crisp and clean with brass fittings and old-world charm, designed to exemplify the charisma of colonial Indochina. A heavy haze draped itself like a tablecloth around each of the islands in view and I feared that my timing on this cruise had been very bad. But as Aussie captain Jody Atterton let go of the ropes and steered through the soaring peaks of limestone, the haze became a cloak of beauty and we slid silently into the hidden world of Halong Bay.
We passed innumerable caves and grottos, small curls of sand and local fishing boats that bobbed cheerfully at anchor.

Then it was back to the onboard luxury of our paddle steamer, where the crew had swung open the huge paddle wheel to expose a perfect swimming deck. Passengers hurled themselves into the calm waters of the bay, humbled by the scope of the surrounding scenery, described as a world of animals.

When the sun rose, climbing higher in the sky and toppling over the closest mountain, it was time to say our goodbyes. We made the three-hour journey from Halong Bay back to Hanoi. I braved the traffic and experienced the warmth of roadside markets awash with conical hats and ladies selling everything from seed potatoes to pigs. Previously this was the only Vietnam I knew, the one that throbs so hard it hurts. But for a few short days I'd taken another step towards truly knowing other aspects of her character.

Silk lanterns / Lacquer ware

by akikonomu about Local Crafts

If you fancy some local silk lanterns or lacquerware as non-pricey souvenirs, head to the Old Quarter. Remember to bargain hard. About 5,000VND for small lacquerbowls. Up to US$15 for quality stone lacquer / lacquerware (box about size of palm)

Apocalypse Now

by Ewingjr98

Apocalypse Now is a large, smoky bar full of American men and Vietnamese women. When we got there, my friend Vince went straight to the pool table, while I wandered to the bar to grab a few beers. While in line, I started talking to a nice young Vietnamese girl; things were going smoothly until she revealed that she was a hooker. Needless to say, I joined Vince at the pool table. After a few games of pool, we headed back to our bia hois...

The best way of getting around...

by UScutie

The best way of getting around Bai Chay and Hong Gai is by foot. If you prefer, check with your hotel for bicycle rentals. A bicycle shouldn't set you back more than 10,000-15,000 dong per day (about US$1). Ferries connect Hong Gai and Bai Chay continuously during the daylight hours.

The real attraction of the area is the bay itself, so a boat is a necessity. If you're traveling independently, you'll find a slew of private operators along the docks in Bai Chay. Bargain hard. You shouldn't pay more than US$8-$10 an hour, less if the skipper has hustled a few other indies aboard.

Comments