Little Hanoi Hostel

48 Hang Ga Street, Hanoi, Vietnam

Little Hanoi Hostel
Agoda.com Hostelworld.com Booking.com

• go_AIR's Profile Photo

One of the best for budget traveler

We stayed here during our trip in Hanoi. Knew this place by complete coincidence. Stranded in Hanoi at 10 pm, with no map, almost tricked by the taxi driver who brought us to shabby hotel, we decided to stroll along the street to find internet cafe. We walked into this hotel after seeing a lot of tourist foreigners inside, just a hunch that this place might be safe for us as well. When we asked the price to access the internet, the female receptionist offered it for free. She didn't even insist or promote her hotel, not until we asked. She offered 20 dollar per night, and we asked again to see the room. It was in third floor and there's no elevator.. But it was worth at all, the room was great. It was clean, there were tv set, fridge, fresh fruit, bathroom with bathtub, clean white towels, and hot shower. The aircon has a heater function. So we could turn on the warming function during our stay, March, when average temperature was around 16 - 20 Degrees Celcius.
    One good thing, we manage to bargain the rate of the room, so instead paying 350,000 Dong (20 Dollars with exchange rate 17,500 Dong/Dollar), we paid only 320,000. The next day when we extended our stay for another night, the price was the same ;)
    Definitely recommend this hostel to budget traveller!!

Unique Quality: - It is located in the old quarter, where you can go easily to several places of interest on foot (hoan kiem lake, local markets, water puppet theatre, presidential palace, ho chi minh mausoleum, opera house, etc).
    - Ask the receptionist for an old quarter's map. As main places of interest are located in the old quarter, it's really handy if you want to go to these places on your own. I personally think, it's not worth to take one day ha noi tour, unless it includes places out of town.
    - if you want to take ha long bay tour, can ask the receptionist. I booked mine for USD 65/pax for 2d/1n tour. It's cheaper than taking more popular tours (eg, OCD charges USD 85/pax for similar tour).
    - you could also exchange your us dollars in the reception. Based on my experience, their rates were okay. Even when they didn't have cash, they help us to find nearest money open changer.

Directions: From Hoan Kiem lake, go to Hang Dao st. Go left passing Hang Bo, Bat Dan streets. Turn right Hang Ga street. It's on the left side.

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Cheap and new

I was walking around town just looking around if there is any other good places to stay. I stumble across this place and went in to take a peak. This place have rooms as well as hostel and it is a good USD 5/night for a bed. There is a total of 3 double bunker which makes it kinda small hostel but it is newly built and it is clean with ensuite bathroom and toilet, tv, air-con.

Nothing more can you ask for that price. Good place to check out.

More about Little Hanoi Hostel

Ha Noi, the home of Uncle Ho

by go_AIR

"Chapter 1: All's not well that ends well ;)"

I'm a superstitious girl who believes that all should be well to have a well ending..specially during traveling. My trip to Hanoi happened to break the jinx, you might find a well ending though the start might be rough..
Having been a rather detailed travel planner but due to workload at office, I managed to only book hotel via e-mail. And since various info from internet suggest me to be careful in taking airport taxies, I also asked the hotel to pick us up at the airport..
We arrived from Singapore in Hanoi at 20.00 with the thoughts that the hotel driver was waiting with our names on a piece of paper in the arrival area. Apparently no one was there from our hotel. We waited for half an hour before decided to forget our hotel and get any transport to the old quarter - the tourist area in town-. We decided to take Vietnam airlines shuttle that will go to that direction with an assumption that it should be easy to find any hotels on the way or nearby the old quarter..After a 45-min journey, the driver dropped us somewhere in the city and when we asked direction to the old quarter he just said that we had to take a cab..(note: it turned out that it takes only 5 min walk to the old quarter area, but how on earth we could know that on our first visit to the city???) We took one cab, asked the driver to turn on the meter before asking him to go to Hanoi Phoenix II (though I didn't really want to stay at the same hotel who abandoned us at airport, I couldn't remember any hotel names to give the driver to). He dropped us in front of a shabby looking building and said that it was our hotel. We weren't convinced but decided to pay the taxi first. When I saw the rate on the display: 570. I had no idea, was it 570 VND, 57,000 VND or 570,000 VND. When I gave him 5000 VND, he laughed at me and asked for 570,000 VND(about 35 USD which will be the standard cost for return taxi trip city-airport ). I protested and refused to pay..The hotel guy who had waited in front of the so-called hotel, helped us out and asked us to pay only 50,000 VND (about 3 USD, still too much for a less than 5 min-drive). That settled..
Inside the what-so-called hotel, we weren't convinced that it was where we booked our room but the hotel staff insisted that it was. There was no reception area as any common hotel would have, and there was no hotel signboard in the building facade either. We then decided to leave and to find nearby internet cafe to look for any decent hotel. It was almost 10 pm, 18 degree C weather, no clue where we were and where to stay, plus with empty stomach, we strolled along the road only with our instincts to guide us (we couldn't even stop taxi, considering our recent experience, to drop us to any 5 star hotels in town). Finally, I saw "internet" sign in one of the building and decided to enter it after seeing a lot of western tourists inside. We then realized that it was a hotel (Little Hanoi Hotel in Hang Ga street, more info in the hotel tips) and the PCs for browsing internet were for the hotel guests. But the lady in the receptionist said we could use it for free though we said we would pay the cost. Moved by her generosity after the trauma being tricked by the locals, we asked for a room. After checking out the room and managed to bargain for a small discount, we decided to stay for a night. It turned out we paid the same as our originally- booked hotel ;)

"Chapter 2 There's rainbow after the rain"

After a good night sleep, in the morning we finally arranged our ha long bay tour in our hotel (instead of 85 usd/pax offered by tour operator in the web, we paid 65 usd/pax for more or less the same itinerary). We also extended our stay there as we didn't want to spend more time for searching hotel. The hotel service was excellent. There's no external window (we only have a window facing a void inside the building) in our room. It wasn't such a big deal for us. You don't really need to open the window because the weather was cold and the pollution from the hectic traffic. You don't also need to see the view, as the hotel is located in one of crowded street and we spent time in the room only for sleeping. Other than the window thing, we don't have major complaints.

Genuine accomodation

by eltoromanolo

Hello
Me and my friend are looking for some "original" accomodation in Hanoi. We are not looking for some "Hilton" or "Radison" or some comfortable crap like that, as we have more than enough of that in western Europe. So we are looking for "the real thing", not with the intention of save money, rather to be as close to the locals and ancient style as possible. So, preferable nothing like new buildings, modern architecture...nothing like that. I guess we are looking for the closest to a homestay, probably in the old quarter. If there is a balcony, even better, to follow the daily live. Any suggestions?
Thanks

RE: Genuine accomodation

by hientonkin

Nice idea, I think you should find some mini hotels in the Old Quater, very easy to discover Hanoi in different way. Try the Manh Dungn guesthouse, I went to this guesthouse last time and found out it's end of the the very small lane in Hang Dieu street. It's - really - like a homestay. I found out travellers here feel it like their home.
Small hotels like Hong Ngoc hotel - a room with balcony to the busy street of the Old Quarter, seem ideal. The sound of early Hanoi would wake you up.. the voice of vendors will make you curious what they are selling...
One hotel with a small view of the Church is Little Hanoi Hotel on Au Trieu street. Decoration in room quite traditional, with only 7 rooms - half of the rooms are occupied by long-term guests. Try to stay at hotels in small lanes,much different with on the bigger street. It's said that lanes in Hanoi - has another culture - the lane culture , which people are very close to each other.
Enjoy!!!
Hien

RE: RE: RE: Genuine accomodation

by Ciambella

Hien -- Do you have direct contact numbers to these accomodations?

RE: RE: Genuine accomodation

by bpolt

I see no answer from her. Send her an email at hientonkin@VTmail.com

RE: RE: Genuine accomodation

by hientonkin

Sorry, I didnt get your email. was something wrong?
Hien