No. 2 Tam Thuong, Hanoi, Vietnam

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Nice, but Pushy

Unique Quality: They are putting in an elevator, have cheap, hot food and 3 computer terminals with internet in the lobby. Great location and friendly staff.

• munapong's Profile Photo

Warm & Cozy Guesthouse

Free internet, warm welcome & the location is within walking distance from Hang Bong [Sell T-shirts].

Clean room with shower facilities.

Unique Quality: They can help arrange taxi pickup, advice and arrangement for tour.

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo

Great budget guesthouse in old Hanoi

This guesthouse is located near the Hoan Kime lake in District 1 in Hanoi city. This has basic accomodation (airconditioning optional) for a great price. This is an excellent family style and run guesthouse. A husband and Fine run not only this great guesthouse, but also a family travel company (Mr. Tran Manh Dung and Mrs. Le Thi Hoi). They can arrange tours to HaLong Bay and Cat Ba island (Green Automn Private Enterprise Ltd.). This is a very small and basic guesthouse, but extremely friendly! Double rooms without a/c go for about US$8 (US$4 p/p).

Directions: Old HaNoi, by the Haon Kiem Lake.

More about Manh Dung Guest house

Nice, but Pushy

by Etoile2B about Manh Dung Guesthouse

After a horrible night at the first hotel we set off to explore the Old District to find a new guesthouse. We really liked the "Alley" (Tam Thuong Street) and had seen several guesthouses down it the night before so we started there. We looked at rooms at several places before settling on the Manh Dung Guesthouse. Our room was a decent size and clean with hot water, TV and air conditioning. We had a nice double bed and the service was friendly. Our room was five flights up a narrow staircase but they are in the process of installing a lift. The family serves hot food in the kitchen at reasonable prices. As with all guesthouses, they offer travel services. I highly recommend using an outside agent as most of the guesthouses (this one included) hikes up the prices. Check out the LP for recommendations on discounted but reliable travel agencies. The Manh Dung allowed us to store our luggage for free while we went on our Ha Long Bay tour and was perfectly safe. The only drawbacks we found staying here were the following: the staff, although friendly, was very pushy about using their travel services. She guaranteed us that they had the lowest prices and (of course) when we took out Ha Long Bay tour (booked through them) we discovered we paid more than anyone else on the trip. The high pressure and high prices soured our experience slightly. Also, when we paid for our room they claimed to not have any change so I asked for an IOU. And I had to fight hard to get our change in the end. In fact, she even tried to take my receipt (without giving me my change) but I refused, thankfully. I wanted the proof. And I am glad I kept it because I never would have gotten my money if I hadn’t. They are putting in an elevator, have cheap, hot food and 3 computer terminals with internet in the lobby. Great location and friendly staff.

Best and worst of my trip

by raphaellecrevet about from Hanoi to Saigon

Hanoi : i reserved at Manh Dung Guesthouse through internet and when i arrived they took me to the Camelia Star hotel which was good for the six dollars i paid i got a double room, quite quiet and with a bathroom. Clean. Some people i met told me that the Manh Dung wasn't very clean and had bugs so i was glad i was taken to the Camelia Star.
Hanoi : as i was taking a tour from the old quarter i couldn't bother going back to Camelia Star with my big bag so i decided to explore for a new hotel : A*Z queen salute travel hotel (or a similar name) on Hang Be but the six-dollar room couldn't compare with the Camelia star hotel : dark and many small ants, not so clean and noisy (loud music). The following night i asked to move to the three dollar dormitory which was much better.
Hue : Mimosa guesthouse (listed in Lonely planet), not run anymore by the former French teacher but by his nephew, very welcoming and smiling. It was a very nice stay and the cheapest : 3 dollars for my single room!!
Hoi An : Minh A ancient lodging house. The house is very beautiful, a lot of wood. The room was large but no proper door, just a lock on mine. Chinese style room but very dark. Needed the light in my ground floor room. Maybe the others upstairs get more light? Very well located right next to the market. Not the nicest welcome i got but alright.
Saigon : Nga Hoang -listed in LP) was fully booked when i arrived so i had to look around and took a room at Ocean's hotel for six dollars because i was so tired i just wanted to go to bed, but i realised the next morning that it was not very clean so i went back to Nga Hoang to rent a room for the next night and it was eight dollars, clean with a fan.

Eating "At Home"

by Etoile2B about Manh Dung Guesthouse

The morning we were departing for Ha Long Bay we decided to eat breakfast at our guesthouse, Mahn Dung. Many of the guesthouses offer this service and it’s worth taking the advantage. Prices are cheap, food is hot and fresh and it’s quick so you can get out and hit the streets. Since we were being picked up by our tour company we ordered our breakfast to go, another perk. It’s nice to start the day with some warm bread, cheese, onion and egg. They also offer more complex and traditional selections, we just opted for the run-and-gun option. We loved the breakfast sandwich.

Manh Dung GuesthouseManh Dung Guesthouse

The happy coupleThe happy couple

Eight-sided houseEight-sided house

In the old quarter of HanoiIn the old quarter of Hanoi

Good Guesthouse in Hanoi

by rob123

Can anybody recoment a decent Guesthouse in the Old Quarter of Hanoi.6-7 US$ a Night.
Same goes for Saigon

RE: Good Guesthouse in Hanoi

by nevadovn

Rod,
I know 1 hotel in Hanoi: Cat tuong hotel in 10D Dinh Liet street. Tel: 04.826 054. Email: bigben_travel@yahoo.com
This hotel is just 2 mins to Hoan Kiem lake. You can have a good room with free internet and arround 6 USD.

RE: RE: Good Guesthouse in Hanoi

by kentishgirl

Arrived today at manh dung guesthouse, 6usd per night, they have other more expensive rooms, staff seem real friendly, location is nice and quaint, rooms are basic but comfy!

Hope this helps

Ali
x

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Cyclo Guide

by pez

Prepeare yourself. You must know how much is a fair price, and you must be confident. NEVER ask them how much it will cost. You will tell them. There is an oversupply of cyclo drivers, so you're in the driver's seat, so to speak. Pay by the hour: $2 (30K dong, it should be 15K, but that's another story). Be prepared to walk away if they don't accept this price. Feel free to walk to another cyclo driver. Carry exact change, otherwise the cyclo ride will cost exectly 50,000 dong, the minimum size bill you typically have in your pocket. They never have change after the ride. Also, any time you have to renegotiate, you will lose. They will use that to their advantage. Avoid problems by paying up front, and withholding the tip until the end.

Tell them in advance how long you want to travel, and structure the deal to your benefit. Let's say it's 1PM, you could say something like "I want a tour of the Old Quarter, and I want to be be back here in 2 hours. Here's 30,000 dong now (show it to them), and I'll give you a 10,000 dong tip IF I like the tour AND you have me back here by 3PM, not one minute late. Do you understand? Here's a map, can you show me where we will go? I want to make sure we see everything I want to see." Make it clear they've already been paid, and that you only pay the tip if you're VERY happy.

Near the end of your ride, remind the driver of when you have to be back, and how his tip is tied to him returning you on time. 9 times out of 10 you'll probably be quite happy and everything went according to schedule. In that case, you promised them a 10,000 dong tip, give them 15,000 dong and everything will end on a great note. Just don't let them turn the tables and tell you how much it is. If you're going to pay a lot for a cyclo ride, make sure you feel good about doing so, and make sure you get a good ride (and not taken for one).

Good luck. I don't take cyclos anymore, I prefer to walk, it's less of a hassle. Or buy a bicycle, you can get 1 for 15 hours of cyclo time ;-)

My favorite meal in Hanoi!

by gypsysoul73 about Cha Ca La Vong

Cha Ca La Vong is the oldest restaurant in Hanoi spanning five generations. It is so famous, the street was even named after it. Cha Ca is a fish and noodle dish cooked with tumeric, dill, noodles, spring onions, peanuts and the special Vietnamese sweet sauce all of which you throw in and mix yourself. It was excellent and a trip to Hanoi is not complete without a visit to Cha Ca La Vong.

The only drawback was that the hot coals made us feel like we were frying along with the fish, and when we turned the electric fan above us on, it blew ash everywhere. So we had to endure the heat , but the entire experience was well worth it!

Written on the back of their business card:

Cha Ca, a special dish, first made by the family Doan in Hanoi

Cha Ca La Vong restuarant has been open through five generations for over one hundred years and has now become very famous at home and abroad.

Cha Ca has been so appreciated that the street is named afterwards.

Cha Ca La Vong is the only three restaurants to serve authentic Cha Ca in Vietnam and has no branches. There's only one dish! - Cha ca

Comments