North Hotel No. 1

15 Hang Ga Street, Hanoi, Vietnam

More about Hanoi

Caligrapher,87 Ma May Street,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.Caligrapher,87 Ma May Street,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.

The Dang communal houseThe Dang communal house

Father and son enjoying a moment at the lakeFather and son enjoying a moment at the lake

Sago ViewSago View

Anyone else going to be in Hanoi mid-March 2009?

by dmasters

Hey there all. New to the forum but certainly not new to travel! I will be in Hanoi from mid-end March 2009 and was wondering if there may be other travelers there at the time? I am a 29 year old male from Sydney Australia and visited Hanoi in March this year. Absolutely fell in love with Vietnam and the ancient charm of Hanoi. Loved the lifestyle of the Vietnamese. Also visited Halong Bay. This time I am planning on doing some more exploring of Hanoi, cheap shopping and wonderful food and visiting Sapa. I am staying at the Stars Hotel once again in Bat Su. Found the staff friendly and the service good. Balcony views in a clean setting were also appreciated. All my flights are booked. I am going Sydney-Macau (1 evening Macau) then Macau-Ho Chi Minh (2 evenings) then Ho Chi Minh on to Hanoi for most of the following weeks. Just wondering if anyone else is going at that time and whether they would be interested in communicating. Safe travels all!

Hey Darren!
Welcome to VT from an escaped native Sydney-sider!
My son & I were also in Hanoi in March this year.
I'm planning to go to Laos/Cambodia in March next year but not planning to go back to Hanoi. I do however, have a question for you on your flights - are you flying Macau Airlines? if so, are they a budget carrier like air asia?
I'm having trouble lining up connections to Vientiane via KL with airaisa, so i'm looking for alternatives. Hope you don't mind me butting in on your post!
Regards
Bestka.

by dmasters

Hello Bestka! Thanks for the reply. Yes, Viva Macau are a LCC (low cost carrier). Check their website here:

I am also flying Pacific Airlines from Saigon-Hanoi who I believe are owned by Australia's Jetstar.

Their website:

Hopefully the flights you are looking for are there. If not try Tiger Airlines. :)

by betska

Thanks heaps for those web addresses Darren, I will have a good look tomorrow. Problem with airasia is, they fly Coolangatta to KL, but don't connect to VTE till about 28 hours later. Too long to hang out at the airport, not long enough to bother spending time in KL.

Hope you find some VT'rs to have a drink with in Hanoi. I know "dancinbudgie" will be there around that time, she might see this post & reply!

by daawgon

I'm a senior citizen from the States (65, male) who was also in Vietnam last March. I'll be coming back again in early March '09 (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hoi An and Hanoi). I believe I land in Hanoi on March 8th and depart on the 17th. I'm staying at the Gia Thinh on Hang Bac at Ma May. I stayed there B4 and loved that hotel too. I'm already meeting other internet people in Hanoi, and you're welcome to join the group. I'm also hooking up with Hanoikids for tours of the city again. Mid-way through Hanoi, I'm taking a 2D/1N tour/trek/homestay to Mai Chau, but otherwise have no definite plans. I'm flying Asiana from Seattle via Seoul, and stopping off in S. Korea for 1 day of sightseeing (or skiing depending on the weather?) I've never been to Thailand, but doubt that I'll enjoy Thailand as much as I did Vietnam - just curious about Thai and I love Thai food too. See you at City View Cafe?

by dancinbudgie

Hello Hello! I will be there! (Hi Betty...how're ya goin'?)
We arrive Hanoi 29th March and leave for Hue on about the 9th April. Also going top Sapa for a couple of days. Happy to meet up for dinner/drinks/whatever if you like.
Cheers

by betska

Hey Tracey-long time no hear????? Must try for a Christmas drink eh?

What dates do you have for Cambodia? I'm roughly planning Kratie-Kampot-Sihanoukville for the last week in March.

Not sure if I will make it back to Siem Reap.

by dancinbudgie

Betty...will email you and catch up...
Darren...sorry for highjacking your post...let me know if you want to catch up in Hanoi.

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Asking for Discount

by BluePinay

When buying stuff, be pleasant. Smile and haggle. Usually, they charge more for tourists. So always look around first before buying. Since most of them do not speak English, but they know the word,"Discount". So, just say discount with a smile.

Quan Thanh Temple

by richiecdisc

Quan Thanh Temple is one of Hanoi’s more serene temples for good reason. It is a fair walk from the Old Quarter, even a few blocks north of the Ho Chi Minh complex. But that along with its scenic setting on Truc Bach Lake make it all the more worthwhile to make the effort to get here. It was not so quiet as it was TET but compared to the temples in the city center, it was a nice relief. Established by the Ly dynasty between 1050 and 1225, this shady oasis must be a summer paradise for those who come to worship. Located at the intersection of D Thanh Nien and Pho Quan Thanh. Cost is 2000 dong (12 cents) to enter.

Shop with the locals in the Old Quarter

by Ewingjr98 about Shopping Areas

The Old Quarter is an amazing array of streets filled with tourists, hotels, cafes, markets, bia hois, and traffic. This area is also packed with local shops filled with craftsmen and sales people. You can spend hours here walking around, shopping, eating, and chatting with the locals. Our hotel was in this area, and here we spent much of our time.

The Old Quarter is located just north of Hoan Kiem Lake.

Hanoi Airport Transfer

by travelonline

You may have heard stories of the ‘perils’ of hiring a taxi in an unfamiliar city. A common tale is of taxi drivers telling newly arrived travellers that their hotel is closed down, full or no good and that they know of another / better hotel they can take you to instead. If you hear any stories like this pay no attention, and if you need to take a taxi from the airport simply insist on being taken to the hotel you want.
It is possible that some taxi drivers may try to overcharge you for the journey you are making. To avoid this you should agree a set fare at the start of the journey. If a driver do not agree to this request then you should find an alternative taxi. If you have any problems once you reach the hotel, go to the reception desk and ask them to sort out any queries or problems. In the interest of comfort and safety it is always best to travel in the rear seat of a taxi. This will not be considered rude by the taxi driver. If the driver insists that you should sit in the front, we recommend that you locate an alternative taxi.

A great experience

by guentherkrug about Festa

We can only recommend this place.It was suggested by our hotel so we were a bit skeptic but it turned out to be a great experience.Antipasto like in Italy,a meal in itself,superb pizza,thin but soft ,great steak and grilled vegetables from the bbq,very good service and friendly owners.Seems to be a favorite among Japanese and Italians with adopted Vietnamese kids,at least this was the crowd when we visited it.We finished our meal with a bottle of wine on the rooftop-terrace with a great view.We returned on the next day for breakfast and it was also very good .One last note: the cleanest bathroom we found in Vietnam,a life-saver ! The antipasto was enormous,at least a dozen different cold cuts,cheese,bruschetta,pickles,olives,you name it.The pizza was the best we ever had in Asia,they told us the secret is to bake it on marble and to rise the dough two times,let it raise and knead it another time and let it raise again.The result is superb.

Comments