Quanghiep Hotel

5 Dong Thai, Hanoi, Vietnam
Quang Hiep Hotel
Agoda.com Hostelworld.com Booking.com

More about Hanoi

87 Ma May Street,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.87 Ma May Street,Old Quarter,Ha Noi.

The Giarai TombThe Giarai Tomb

Typical building architecture in HanoiTypical building architecture in Hanoi

Food stall in the old townFood stall in the old town

USD 25 from Airport to hotel

by ghim

Hi a hotel in the old quarter is offering me USD 25 for a taxi from Hanoi airport to the hotel. Any idea whether this rate is too costly? or there can be much cheaper alternative?

by betska

If you are travelling during the day (not sure about night) there is a mini-bus service put on by Vietnam Airlines, that drops you to it's office just south of Hoan Kiem Lake. It costs US$2 each way.

A taxi should cost you around $10-$12, but make sure that you agree on the price first.

by daawgon

My hotel is charging $16., and I paid $12. in March. Perhaps you need a better hotel. I'm staying at the Gia Thinh. It is nice to have a signboard at the airport with one's name on it, and the hotel pickup does save time. If you do take that $2. mini-bus, I warn you that it might take an hour to find it at Nobai Airport - very poor signing there, and everyone you ask for directions has a different answer!

by ghim

Wow thanks for the speedy reply. Think that it is not very trustworthy. They also offered me USD70 dollars for a 3 day Halong Bay- Cat Ba island tour, does that mean there will be cheaper alternative?

by betska

You could have a look in the Ha Lang forum. Some one else was asking that question recently.

by betska

Sorry, I meant to say Ha Long, of course.

by JohanIsWeg

Betska is right on the money - no pun intended. USD25 is FAR too much. Should be around $10-12.

With regards to Halong Bay: you may be able to get cheaper, but you get what you pay for! More classy junks may charge anything from $200 to $800 depending on what cabin you choose and for how long you intend to cruise.

by ghim

thanks alot for all the replies. i also kind of felt that it was a rip off, so decided to come here and check it out. i will be leaving for vietnam very soon, hopefully it will all turn out well.

by JonnyVN

Hi
The taxi from airport to downtown (old quarter) is a flat fee, US$12. Go to the taxi ranks and you will see a sign, if the driver starts to haggle talk to the staff at the rank.
jonny

by dmasters

Don't know if it helps but I stayed at the Stars Hotel and they will pick you up free if you stay more than 3 nights. Driver is waiting with a sign at the airport for you and it takes around 30min into the Old Quarter.

by ghim

thanks for the replies! i took the minibus from airport instead which drops me at old quarters.

by jennyngn9

Noibai Taxi very Safe and Helpful, driver was very co operative he helped in my luggage . Would recommend to others to use this taxi service

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Bonjour Vietnam/Hello Vietnam

by cochinjew

Pham Quynh Anh is a Belgian of Vietnamese extraction, thus a Viet Khieu, is a talented young singer who released a song written for her over the net which has become the favourite of millions of people all over the viet khieu world.
the words are very touching and you can watch it on youtube.com look under quynh anh and hello vietnam
The English lyrics of Bonjour Viet Nam, as circulated on the Internet, are provided below:

Hello Viet Nam

by Marc Lavoine

Tell me this strange and difficult name to pronounce

that I have carried since birth

Tell me about the old empire and the features of my slanted eyes

describing me better than what you dare not say

I only know about you from images of war

A movie by Coppola and the angry helicopters

Someday I will go there, someday, I’ll say hello to your soul

Someday I will go there (to) say hello to you, Viet Nam.

Tell me about my colour, my hair and my small feet

that I have carried since birth

Tell me about your house, your street, tell me this unknown entity

The floating markets and the wooden sampans

I only know about my country via the photos of war

A film by Coppola and the angry helicopters

Someday I will go there, one day I’ll say hello to my soul

Someday I will go there (to) say hello to you, Viet Nam.

The temples and stone-carved Buddha statues for my fathers

The stooping women in rice fields for my mothers

Praying in the light to see my brothers again

Touch my soul, my roots, my land...

Someday I will go there, some day I’ll say hello to my soul.

Sunset at Ha Long

by muddybok

I admit this is not the nicest sunset picture even taken at Ha Long Bay. But it is my personal best sunset shots at Ha Long Bay.

How could I miss the sunset at Ha Long that was once my only reason to visit Vietnam? I was doing sea kayaking that evening without bringing my camera because my pal is 2nd time doing the canoe or kayaking. Since the camera does not have as high water resistant capability as my Casio G-Shock, I decided to trade off the great sunset opportunity.

Did I regret my decision? I don’t regret my decision, because those great sunsets images are already imprint in my memory.

Local Art

by Etoile2B about Co Do Gallery

If you’re looking for affordable, original art check out the Co Do Gallery. The collection is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the prices are some of the best we found for original art in Hanoi. I bought an original piece here and they helped organize shipping back to the USA. They also will give you the option of rolling the canvas for you if you want to travel with your purchase and reframe it at home. I had my piece shipped home in the frame and it arrived quickly and completely intact. I was very happy with everything and they take credit cards!

Hanoi airport to CBD

by pinoygypsy

Cheap way to get in the city is to take the Vietnam Airlines airport shuttle that goes from the airport and takes you in front of the Vietnam airlines office in Hoan Kiem district (and vice versa). Price is around VDN30,000 or USD2. Don't give in when the shuttle driver tells you that you have to pay USD3-4. It's a scam. You'll have to stand firm and tell them that you know it's only USD2. If you do decide to take a cab, go for the Mai Linh cabs (green coloured) as they are reputed for being the "honest" cabs by the locals.

Great Local Food

by hientonkin about A New Day Restaurant (Mot Ngay Moi)

Truly Vietnamese style, reasonable price for daily meal.
Around 10 USD for 2 persons included drinks. Hanoi Spring Rolls: Being a hanoian, been long time I havent had spring roll in Hanoi style like here. That makes me remember about mom's cooking a lot.
Sweet and sour pork: My bf's fav. dishes.
Spicy Squid: This is great too!!!!

Comments