Relax Hotel

10A Yen Thai Street, Hanoi, 8443, Vietnam

Satisfaction Poor

More about Hanoi

Hoa Lo Prison,Ha Noi,Vietnam.Hoa Lo Prison,Ha Noi,Vietnam.

Rowing with her feet!Rowing with her feet!

Rice terraces at minoritiy village.Rice terraces at minoritiy village.

Things to do with bamboo...Things to do with bamboo...

Hanoi and Siem Reap

Dear VT Friends,

I am quite new to Hanoi and have several questions.

1. Hanoi

- Where's the best restaurant where I can eat authentic Pho Ga?
- I need to buy crumpler bags, can you recommend a reliable store along Hoan Kiem?
-If you can share places of interests aside from those regular posted in the internet...

2. Siem Reap
I plan to visit Angkor Wat one of these days and I've been looking at Viet Air Hanoi-Siem but it does not register in the site.

- what is the most affordable way to go there given limited time (2days probably)
- Can you recommend affordable hostels in Siem Reap (clean and secure place)

I know I posted a lot but my thanks in advance to those who can offer advice. Many thanks and Cheers!

by attanaru

Hi!

I just came back from a trip from vietnam to siamreap (cambodia).
You can fly from HCMC to SR by vietnam air, you can see details in their web.
I went from HCMC to SR by direct aircon bus that Sinh Cafe organized it cost USD.20 for 12 hours, I bought bus ticket in Sinh Cafe Hanoi. In SR, I stayed at "Bousavy guesthouse", it's a nice budget guesthouse, you can see it in their web.

Cheers,
-atta-

Thanks Atta, great help!

by smapboy82

Hey hey. You can read this blog "Motormouth From Ipoh" http://j2kfm.blogspot.com/2009/03/motormouth-survived-hanoi-turns-one-yay.html. It has quite alot of Hanoi pics to share around.

by runningcate

I think the most authentic place to eat Pho Ga is on the street - find one of the places on the sidewalk with the little plastic stools (if it's good, it will be crowded!) and dig in! There are a ton of places like that all over the old quarter.

by Frenny

Thanks will definitely read your blog!

by Frenny

Thanks Runningcate...tried it today and it was a good experience.

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Socialist Art for a Socialist Capitol

by AKtravelers

Hanoi, being the capitol of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, is bedecked with scultptures from the school of socialist realism. For those, like me, who missed the heyday of communism in Europe, this is a chance to get a feel for what it might have been like in the Soviet Union. Of course, government by the Communist Party is not something of the past in Vietnam -- it's still a one party state -- but the dogmatic ideology and economic policies is long gone.

You'll know socialist realism when you see it. It's characterized by brawny heroic workers posing resolutely in groups not often found together in nature (soldiers, farmers and machinists, for example). The medium is often granite or concrete, and its key message is strength.

Lenin statue

by SirRichard

This Lenin statue in a park at Nguyen Thai Hoc avenue is one of the few remains I saw of a recent communist past here in Vietnam.
Now it seems Sony neon advertising are prefered to those old sovietic symbols... the signs of the times!

The biggest tip you'll ever need

by FishyLalita about Any shop

You see, it's not WHAT TO PAY it's if THE PRICE IS RIGHT they think tourists are stupid! (sometimes are... :D hehe) So the main word here is 'BARGAIN'. If they say 150,000 dong for something. Don't say 130,000! No! Go to something like.... 90,000 and then if they say "no" you leave and eventually they call after you saying "OK! OK! 90,000 OK!"

Getting to Hanoi by Train

by frankie_tubiera

I just returned from a trip to the French Indo-China. Hanoi can be reached by train from Danang. I and my nephew took the SE night train from Hanoi to Hue last June 5, 2008 and it took us 12 hours to reach our destination. From Hue to Danang, the trip takes about 2.5 hours to 4 hours.

Only for trend runners

by asianK about Bobby Chinn

What a disappointment! We made a booking for 8pm and were finally lead to our table at 9.30 pm. We learnt through TV that Bobby Chinn supposed to be a celebrity chef. We thought maybe it’s worth waiting for an excellent dinner. After ordering it took another 45 minutes until the con-fusion food arrived. Now I realized why they let you wait this long. After more than two hours you are so hungry that you eat everything what is eatable and you won’t complain since you know it will take another three quarters of an hour until you get a replacement. And I had my doubt that it will be better …either someone can cook or she/he can’t. Meanwhile I may agree on celebrity, but chef? My advise, there are nice restaurants in Hanoi… avoid running after a so called celebrity who does not know how to cook.
(My credentials: 1 star Guide Michelin) You should be extremely hungry to enjoy the food.

Comments