Royal Hotel

very colourfulvery colourful

Ngoc Son TempleNgoc Son Temple

1st time in Vietnam

by maldune

We will be in Vietnam for 1 week and Thailand for 1 week. Arrive Hanoi,and want to go South to HMC then to Bangkok.All suggestions appreciated for transport and attractions. Thanks Gene

by balhannah

Most people do a fairly similar route. Hanoi to Hue & HoiAn, then Nha Trang and HMC. I went by plane between most as airfares were cheap, but you can do the bus, which I did between Hue & HoiAn, others take the train.
For attractions, just click on my name above the photo, and then you will find tips on all these towns on my travel pages.
Have a good time.

by bcatton

In my humble opinion you'd be far better off staying in Hanoi and going to Halong Bay, rather than trying to go from Hanoi to HCMC and other cities in between. The reason? Simple; you need to stay in Hanoi for at least 3 or 4 days (if not a week) to see and do things.
If you do plan on going from Hanoi to HCMC (via other cities in Viet Nam) then i'm afraid that 1. You won't see /or get a feel of any particular place and 2. Depending on how you're travelling (especially by bus) you'll be do a lot of exactly that ..... travelling and not stopping to see/do/meet.

by balhannah

Brian, I must have read over the week bit!!!
Like you said, I spent a week in Hanoi, and every day I did something.
With only a week, it would have to be just the 2 places.

by cachaseiro

I agree that with one week it's not a good idea to travel down to southern Vietnam.
It's 1700 kilometers between Hanoi and Saigon and you will lose a whole day just commuting from one city to the other.
Hanoi is really a city with a lot of charm and it's very easy to pass 4 days there.
And then a couple of days to do a cruise at Halong bay i would say.
You could also look in to visiting Sapa in northern Vietnam.

by maldune

Thank you everybody for your reply. We have 20 days and are trying to cram as much in as possible. We know we will miss a lot. We were thinking..2days Hanoi,then take train? to Halong Bay 2 days, then train? to Da Nang 1 day, train to Nha Trang 1 day, then to HCMC 1 day fly to Bangkok. Is there a train that we can do the above? Would Taxi or bus be better?
Thanks Gene

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Vietnam's Future

by Tattugran

The kids here are gorgeous . Always ready to say hello to us westerners. They have the most beautiful little faces. But before I took a photo I always asked the adult they were with if it was ok to do so. The friednly hellos we got from the children. My husband has tattoos and everyone was facinated and wanted to touch them.

GIFTS

by balhannah

So, you are in Vietnam with your girfriend, and you want to impress her!
Why not buy her a gift like the Vietnamese do!

Pictured, is what my Cyclo Driver told me, what Boyfriends buy and give to their Vietnamese girlfriends.

I actually did see a young man on a Motorbike, with a woman on the back, and she was holding one of these.
Is it chocolates, I don't know, just a different gift idea.

ENDANGERED PRIMATES

The endangered primates are at CUC PHUONG NATIONAL PARK

It is a non-profit organization dedicated to the rehabilitation, breeding, research, and conservation of endangered primates, and to the protection of their habitats.

When I visited, there were only 15 varieties of Primates living there.
Some of them were the “Critically Endangered” grey-shanked douc langur, Delacour´s langur, Cat Ba langur and the “Endangered” Hatinh langur, black langur and Laos langur, Primates that you may not see anywhere else but here.

The center and the continuation of its work depends upon the donations of organizations and individuals.

The center also runs an “Adopt-A-Monkey-Program”.

You get the admission ticket at the park entrance, and then go back to the Entrance of the Monkey Centre, and the guide will let you in and show you around the enclosures.

ADMISSION IN 2008 was 10,000dong

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CENTRE............www.primatecenter.org

Annoying

by littlebush about Many.....

The bar scene in hanoi is a little disapointing, apparently its better in ho chi min, but i went to heaps of different bars as my brother knew most bars to go to.....

Bara-run by the same guy who owns the hostel, an aussie, a really cool place and u can normally drink all night.

Red mask - at no 2D ta hien street, a cool small bar open late but popular.(run by the fun Hien, shes cool)

There were many others i cant remember. The new century is a nightclub, a little expensive but open late.

All other bars close by 11 in the week, 12 or 1 at the weekened, but every now and again the police shut everything down early, which happened when i was there!

TAXI FROM AIRPORT TO HANOI HOTEL

by balhannah

A Taxi to Hanoi from the Airport costs $12us.

We asked at the Vietnam tourist office if the price was still $12 for 2 people to share a cab for hotels close together.
They said "yes"........ The person in charge of the taxis said yes, $12 for 2, but when my friend was dropped off........he wanted 300,000 dong, about $21 au.

The Taxi driver started to poke me harder & harder in the arm , saying, want money, money, in the end, I agreed to pay $12 plus an extra 50000dong so that I could get to my hotel.

If I had known my Hotel was just around the corner, I would have only paid the $12, and got out and walked to it!

This Taxi was meant to be one of the ones that you can trust!

Comments