Silk Path Hotel

Expedia.com Agoda.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hanoi

From the backseat of a Xe Om,Ha Noi,Vietnam.From the backseat of a Xe Om,Ha Noi,Vietnam.

Trang Tien Plaza(internet)Trang Tien Plaza(internet)

Thap Rua - Tortoise TowerThap Rua - Tortoise Tower

This is Where I wrote all messages on my postcardsThis is Where I wrote all messages on my postcards

Taxi fare from airport to Hoan Kiem Lake area

by sunny_koh

May I know around how much is the taxi fare from airport to Hoan Kiem Lake area?

by betska

We caught the Vietnam Airlines airport mini-bus from their offices at the southern end of the lake to the airport. If my memory is correct it was US$2. They go both ways. Takes approx. 45 mins.

by cafank

We negotiated $US20 for a taxi and then the driver wouldn't give us our bags!!! Probably a bit more will suffice but do get advice from someone at the airport info desk; but the airport bus is a good option.

by daawgon

What time does your flight arrive? The mini-bus is great if you can find the departure point (that airport is confusing with very poor signs). I like to have my hotel arrange a pickup - saves a great deal of everything!. The mini-bus stops running about 7pm I believe.

Thanks. I'll reach around 8pm

by bcatton

If you arrange a hotel pickup it should cost you between $10 - $12. Do NOT get into a taxi or bus without first agreeing a price. :-)

by sunny_koh

Thanks. My hotel offered a taxi pick up of $15 so I thought it is better to get my own without the hassle of waiting or looking out for the hotel pick up.

by bcatton

It's no hassle. When you exit the baggage carousel area there should be a driver waiting for you with a board with your name on it! :-)

Travel Tips for Hanoi

Street Culture-eating al fresco

by Wild_Orchid

In Hanoi, the phrase street culture takes on a new twist when you see groups of people, such as the family pictured here seated outside right on the street having their evening meal.

On one of the side lanes outside a touristy souvenior shop, I observed this family tucking into a tasty meal of steamed water snails (escargot). I had a quick look around but I couldn't see the kitchen or stall where the food had came from. Despite the rather unusual setting (by the drain & peeling yellow wall), the adults and kids seemed to enjoy their dinner. As is common in Vietnam, the seats & table are both set very low-I reckon you have to have a flexible body to eat like a local!

The Land Provides

by Wild_Orchid

As we drove out of Hanoi to Ha Long, we passed by miles and miles of rice fields like this interspersed by small towns or commercial centres. These towns were typically rows of antiquated looking shops flanking both sides of the road. The shops provided a hotch-potch of products and services from hardwares, provisions and household items to hair salons, coffeeshops & bicycle repairers. They reminded me of what Malaysian rural towns must have been like 30-40 years ago.

While life for most is undoubtedly hard, the people do not go hungry. They may not have the modern luxuries of life but their basic needs are met. I did not come across any beggers in Hanoi and it’s surrounding areas unlike my experience with some more advanced countries

Local Vietnamese Oil Paintings

by mizzzthanggg about many around town

You may wish instead of buying repros to buy great original art by the local Vietnamese painters... scenes of villages, schoolgirls in their white ao dai and triangle hats, landscapes and waterscapes are of very high quality.

Cab fares

by mojo1980

There are cases of taxi taking u for a around-about rides, and chalking up the fares on the meter.

Some times, it is better to fix a price before going for a ride.
So, generally from airport to Old Quater cost abt 10USD
The trip from train station to Old Quater is about 4USD.

Great little coffeehouse and bar

by tlut about Troy

This little coffeehouse and bar was a great find near the Embassy area. Small but a modern decor and A/C for the hot days. Also has display of b/w photos from a great young Hanoi photographer. On my last visit had squeezed in a foosball table. Very quite and relaxing in an area of furniture makers and local Vietnamese street restaurants. The margaritas were out of this world and all the coffee's are good.

Comments