Van Hoa Hotel

Museum of EthnologyMuseum of Ethnology

Hanoi  Opera HouseHanoi Opera House

Cheap digital cameras in Hanoi

Hello!
A fellow Vt'er let me in on some good deals for digital cameras in HCMC, but I'm going to be in Hanoi. I'd like to know of any good spots where I can look for a good digital camera in Hanoi for a gooood price.
All tips are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Zan

by gaolei

Never buy a camera in Asia. It will not have a warranty. It will cost more than Best Buy in the USA. It may come with Vietnamese instructions and menus. It's just a bad idea.

by bluebug

Thanks for the reply, but I don't live in the U.S.A anymore, and besides millions of people who live in Asia buy their electonics in Asia. Infact most goods sold in the U.S are Asian made. So if anyone else has some useful comments that could help me that would be fantastic. Thank you.

by gaolei

I think buying from a small shop in Hanoi should be avoided, unless you go there and break your camera and need another. The big stores in Asia can give you a good price and they will stand behind their sales. This is the same as the USA. Here, the big stores, like Best Buy and Circuit city buy in such big quantities, their prices are good. If you open the box and the camera doesn't work, you can take it back for an immediate exchange. In many small shops in Hanoi and HCM, you bought it, you own it.

by bluebug

Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep that in mind when I get to Vietnam. I'm just desperate for a camera. It's seems a waste to keep missing all these great photo moments.

by gaolei

Yes, I just traded my big Fuji digital for a Cannon elph size. Now it goes everywhere with me, because it fits in my pocket. With the big 2 GB memory card, I can just snap pictures all day. Spend a few extra dollars and get your camera before you leave and you can take pictures along the way. What will you do if you can't get a good price for a camera when you get to Hanoi? By that time you could have taken a lot of good pictures of the kids.

by bluebug

Ah yes, however I'm not in the States. I haven't been since last Sept. I'm in the Philippines and electronics here are insanely expensive. They' are twice the price than in the States. The camera broke while I was here in the P.I. that's why I wanted to wait to get to Hanoi. I'll be there on Tues. I can't wait!

by gaolei

Enjoy Hanoi! It is a very interesting city with plenty of good French inspired Asian cooking.

Travel Tips for Hanoi

You can weigh yourself .... anywhere

by myspices

With so much of good food around in Hanoi, you ladies there might want to know how much you have put on. Well, step on the weighing machine - it's found along the streets of Hanoi, near the lake or you can even stop one as they push these weighing machines along the streets. If you happened to hear some music playing while you are on the street, its the weighing machine that is "calling" you.

Hiring a Tour Guide is A Must

by neurochic

DO NOT TRY TO TREK TO THE NEARBY VILLAGES FROM SAPA ALONE! Not only is this a dangerous task in case you get hurt on the slippery rice terraces, but if you get lost there is no one to find you out along Mt. Fansipan. Also a guide will be able to communicate with the villagers who speak a different dialect than the native Vietnamese. Furthermore with a guide you can usually enjoy lunch at one of the nearby villages and a guide can also tell you about the history of the people and the surrounding landscape. You can arrange a tour guide either at one of the many hotels out of Sapa or from some of the hotels in Hanoi as part of a package deal to trek to Sapa villages. Our tour guide Truong was from a hotel out of Sapa and he was excellent!

Late Night Shopping in the Old Quarters

by bpacker about Shopping Areas

As mentioned earlier, the Old Quarters becomes a giant shopping street in the weekends!

If you can, stay in a hotel in the Old quarters in the weekends and do your shopping in the evening. It's comparatively less stressful owing to the lack of traffic.

Where:Hong Dao to Dong Xuan Street. After 7pm Cheapie Hats, Gloves, Jackets I paid about US$1 or so for hats and gloves.

Oganized Tours around Hanoi

by dunearn20

There are god and bad tour operators, some very cheap and some rather upmarket.
Very good but also very expensive is Buffalo Tours ( www.buffalotours.com ) , but I can also recommend a much cheaper one who organized us a tour for 2 of us only with a very good guide at resonable price: Handspan Travel
They are located in a retaurant, which is also good and well located.

Great Friends!

by jwkirkland about 69 Bar Restaurant

The food was ok, the drinks were good! We just had a great time meeting the owners and operators of this establishment. Smiles at all times the staff is very friendly and can turn you onto some good local spots to eat....down to the best street food. Internet cafe across the street. Tell Long the bartender, Moon, and Ling hello when you visit!!

Comments