Gold Coast Hotel

Travel Tips for Da Nang

Danang visit courtesy U.S. Marine Corps

by Ytamy

"Danang - 1967"

My first visit to Danang was in 1967. I was serving with 2nd Bn, 7th Marines and was lucky enough to be given an in-country R&R at China Beach. It was great to have a few days away from the war. I remember that the beach was beautiful and that I got to sleep on a mattress and that the billets actually had window screens...no mosquitos!!!
I spent a little time in town... athen dominated by theUS military, with a couple of large PX's and lots and lots of headquarters and rear echelon units.
I recall going to a restaurant one evening...and I think it is still there, now under the name Indochine. Food is still great!

"Vets With a Mission"

Returned to Vietnam for the first time since the war in June 2004 with Vets With a Mission (www.vwam.com ) to work with a humanitarian medical team. Great trip...worthwhile work...absolutely healing for myself and the other vets on the team. VWAM built it's 26th clinic on this trip and the medical team treated over 1000 patients in the very poor Thanh Khe section of Danang. We stayed at the Furama on China Beach...facility and service unsurpassed. The beach looks just like it did in 67!!! Beautiful and as yet undeveloped. Vietnamese people were friendly and cordial...no hassels, panhandlers, city safer than any in US.

"Vets With a Mission Trip 2005"

You guessed it, I am hooked on both humanitarian work and Vietnam. 2005 brought us 1500 patients in our newly dedicated clinic. Vietnam is developing rapidly, especially Ho Chi Minh City, but there are many, many poor people still in need of life's basics. Glad to help out in what I call 'nha tu nhi", my second home!
Took some time to visit Land Co Beach, north of Danang. Great ride over "DeoHai Van," Pass of the Clouds. Land Co Beach is perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the world...hope no-one else finds it! If you prefers authenticity, stay at the Lang Co Beach Resort!

Comments