2 Me Linh, Nha Trang, Vietnam
Booking.com Priceline.com AMOMA.com

More about Whale Island Resort

In Hon Ong / Whale Island

by call_me_rhia about Whale Island resort

The only accommodation option on Whale Island doesn't come at a cheap price... most stay in bungalows, but families or groups can stay in a larger house-style construction, which is a little bit cheaper... Forget the photos on their website, the bungalows are more basic than it is shown: a bed, a bedside table, a fan and a little shelf... no window, well, a wooden one that doesn't quite close (but opens up really well)... while they are OK for a short stay, for sure they are not good value for money. I guess that one pays for the wonderful location rather than for the lace where you sleep. Right by the beach... a few steps and you are in the water. Moreover there's quite some distance between bungalows, so that you can have all the privacy that you need.

A bungalow for two people, including transfer from Nha Trang and 3 meals a day cost 135 dollars for 1 night (garden view) or 160 dollars (sea view), for 2 nights 205 dollars (garden view) or 255 dollars (sea view) and for 3 nights 270 dollars (garden view) or 345 dollars (sea view). The longer you stay, the cheaper the price... but never very cheap.

near Nha Trang: Hon Ong/Whale Island

by call_me_rhia

Hon Ong is the local name for the French-run Whale Island/Ile de la Baleine Resort. It's a beautiful private island of serene beauty, isolated... peaceful and regenerating, with an excellent beach, pristine waters, corals and coconut trees. Background music: the sound of the ocean. We did not see any whales but at night, in the bay we could hear some really big fish swimming and leaping happily... we never saw them in the darkness, but it made us happy just to know that they were there.

There's not much to do on the island, unless you are a diver... but the beauty of it was the fact that, while everyone else was out diving, we had the entire "paradise" to ourselves, to lay in the sun, to swim and - in particular - to snorkel. We saw colourful corals, huge sea-urchins and colourful fishes. It was the first time I saw a clown fish... what a beautiful shy fish it is.

To get to Hon Ong you need to make a reservation with the Whale Island resort. From Nha Trang it's 2.30 hours by car to Dam Mon pier, and then 20 minutes by boat. There's no public transportation.

Hon Ong restaurant

by call_me_rhia about Whale Island restaurant

he only food option on the island is provided by the Whale Island restaurant... and it is inclusive in the room price - that is three meals a day. Drinks are extra. While the food is plentyful, the cuisine is very much French-oriented, which one may or may not like.

One negative aspect is that you don't have a choice, so what they serve you is what you get... the restaurant staff speaks almost no English at all, which means that asking for something as simple as a mango or pineapple rather than dessert can be quite hard. Generally you will be served a salad, a starter (a soup or some hors d'oeuvres), a main dish and a dessert... fish is not always part of the meal, strangely, and occasionally it may be three half prawns in the salad. I was not really impressed.

My favourite food ended up being a fish curry rather than their French cuisine... a lot of curry and very little fish, but nonetheless it was delicious.

Hon Ong: swimming and snorkeling

by call_me_rhia

Whale Island is a great place to snorkel or to swim... you can join the morning snorkeling boat trip or else you can snorkel right from the island's beach, where there are still plenty of fishes and corals to see without going far.

The added bonus of not joining the snorkeling trip is that you will have the entire island to yourself.. most people come here to dive, and those who do not dive normally go on the snorkeling trips... so we had the place to ourselves.

The water was perfect, very clear and calm and no jellyfish, at least in July. It was neither too shallow nor too deep, and there were no nasty boats and aquascooters to worry about. i Bring a swimsuit, high factor sunscreen and not much else. Towels are optional, as you can rent them on the island. If you have a snorkel set, bring it with you, or else you can rent it on the island. Do bring a water camera, though, because it is not on sale.

SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL VIETNAM

by call_me_rhia

now longing to see the northern part
Places I have visited:

11 July 2007 ............................. Nha Trang
12 July 2007 ............................. Nha Trang
13 July 2007 ............................. Ho Chi Minh
14 July 2007 ............................. Cu Chi

For some river photos see my travelogue

BOAT PEOPLE

snorkeling at whale islandsnorkeling at whale island

whale island

by frederikranke

Hey,

Do anyone know whale island? How is the weather in July?How far is it from Nha Trang. Are the beaches good etc. Do anyone know accomodation they would reccomend?

Ragards

by Charming_Vietnam

You can check www.whaleislandresort.com for information.
For a discount rate, you can contact Huong Giang Travel at hgtravel@dng.vnn.vn

cheers

whale island

by teppergould

does anyone know much about whale island resort near Nha Trang. I am thinking of taking my young children there in December. Is it a decent place for kids? What sort of weather can I expect mid-Dec there? My great fear is that the kids will be bored and we'll be stuck in a bungalow with rain tumbling outside. But on the other hand if it's an exotic and interseting island to explore, play on the beach and relax then that sounds good.

by jyzil

i didnt go to whale island..but I wish I had taken my young kids to Vietnam when I went....its so family friendly and there is no way the kids would have been bored...even if it was raining...I was really dissapointed I didnt take the kids...dont make the same mistake... have fun

by JulieAC

We visited Whale Island in Late August of this year, we found it quite good, food was great, plenty of area to play on the beach and swim close to the accommodation, snorkle gear and other water equipment was for hire. We found it quite hot though as it seemed to be in an area with no real breeze blowing. We didn't explore the Island but it looked interesting.

Whale Island

by rjhatch

Hi, im going to Vietnam this summer and have been looking for places to go. I have found Whale Island which looks really nice, but seems very expensive for what you get! Are there and other places like this, with really lovely beach and coral and clear water but not as expensive?

RE: Whale Island

by Bernithetraveler

Hi ,

So much to see in this country , for th sea side just go to Nah Trang or Hoi An
I'm pretty sure that i'll fit u ........have a gooooood trip.

PS Lonely planet guide will give you some info....

Bernard