Muong Thanh Hotel

Road Trip Historical Travel Budget Travel
bpwarne's Profile Photo

You gotta be kiddin me!

by written on June 7, 2008

This hotel was at the top of my short list when I landed in Dien Bien Phu. I had read in the Lonely Planet Vietnam Travel Guide that it was "Probably the plushest place in town" and "a veritable entertainment Mecca". I really have to wonder if they had ever even been to it. The place is a rat's nest. Cement walkways broken and crumbling, tiles on the floor of the lobby, stairwells, rooms, bathrooms, cracked, broken, and missing entirely in some places. Really beat up looking furniture and thread bare curtains and bedding. Dark rooms and hallways, even the reception area was dark. Yes, there is a pool.....with some really foul green water in it that you could not stand to look at much less swim in. TV in room, no internet available, very large restaurant on premises.

Asking price was $18 for a small room, $22 for a larger one. I did not try to negotiate a lower price. You could not have PAID me to stay at this place.

Unique Quality: Comes with breakfast.....can you imagine?

Nearby Muong Thanh Hotel

Dien Bien Phu Travel Forum

Need advice about Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Dien Bien Phu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dien Bien Phu hotel reviews