12 Tran Phu Street, Dalat, Vietnam

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• clixtox's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Gem

After staying at the Sofitel Dalat Palace Hotel for 5 nights (FABULOUS!!!)the first time I went to Dalat I stayed 5 nights at the Dreams Hotel the second time. We stayed at the newer (164b)of the two Dreams properties. We were on the second floor overlooking the street with double glazed windows so the traffic noise wasn't distracting. The 5 nights at the Dreams ($20/night)cost about what one night at the Palace cost($160/night). The dream is near the "Da Quy"(Wild Strawberry) restaurant where we ended up eating almost every night, it is that good! We even went there for breakfast one day and skipped the free breakfast at the Dreams. Dalat is a great town for walking, we walked all over, only taking cabs when it started raining or we were going out of town visiting tourist sites like the gondola ride and the huge Buddha statue.

Unique Quality: Cheap and easy. Comfortable premium room was $20/night with a minimal free breakfast. Good location.

Directions: Small town, walk to everywhere. Center of the town, above the market, is closed to vehicular traffic on the weekend evenings, sweet!

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Ancient meets modern

Stayed here in July 2003. The hotel is a large imposing building set in some nice grounds overlooking Dalat. Outside the door is an ancient Citroen car which is interesting for a minute or so.
    Check in was quick and we were whisked away to our room up a very grand staircase. There is no lift here and the stairs played havoc with my sore knee!
    The room was a little small and tired looking (no aircon) and the bathroom was OK. Very impressive bath but I prefer to shower and this just flooded the place as the curtain was inadequate. What I disliked was the fact that the bell boy had his hand out for a tip. I tip good service and this wasn't really worth it.
    The restaurant serves French food. I prefer to eat local so we went out. At weekends breakfast is a buffet but on other days a la carte. Preferred the buffet myself. We wanted a drink soon after arrival and had great difficulty finding an outlet for this. Eventually we were served on some uncomfortable metal chairs on the terrace. Service was just about OK, below the standards I had come to expect from the Sofitel brand though.
    Overall the hotel has a nice ambience but is not worth the money to stay here.

Unique Quality: There is a great view over the city from here.

More about Sofitel Dalat Palace

For probably THE nicest hotel...

by John195123

For probably THE nicest hotel in DALAT, go to the Sofitel DaLat Palace. You won't regret it. The decor is awesome, and old. The place is awesome. Gift shop is expensive, of course, but oh well. We decided to go cheaper and not stay here.
USD $100.00 - 100.00(?)

Nice ambience

by jmmorgan about Cafe de la Poste

A pleasant, french styled, restaurant neat to the Sofitel Dalat Place and Novotel.
The service and food were both excellent. The menu was quite varied with French and vietnamese dishes available and prices were quite good although a little expensive by local standards.
Pool Table available. I had the French Country Vegetable soup. An excellent blend of root vegetables in a chicken broth. Just like Grandma used to make.

Still not sure about this City

by jmmorgan

"Our Arrival"

We travelled to Dalat by car from Nha Trang. It was a fascinating journey from the coastal plains to the high, inland, mountains. The scenery was quite spectacular at times and the switchback road was intertesting at times! There is a lot of heavy transport using the road as Dalat is the market garden area where many fruits and vegetables are grown for consumption in the cities.
It was lunchtime when we arrived so we went to a small restaurant for some food. The food was OK but I was not sure about the place at all. Something I didn't like about it at all. Can't say exactly but just a feeling.
After lunch we went to our hotel the opulent Sofitel Dalat Palace. Check in was a little slow and when we were shown to our room the bell hop had his hand out for a tip, something I hadn't really found to be the case anywhere else during our two visits to Vietnam. The room was OK although the bathroom was a little faded.
We then ventured out into town and visited a local market which I always find facinating.
On day two we were off to see the sights. First we went to the botanical gardens. It was very crowded with domestic tourists, some of whom found us far more curious than the plants. I have to say this was an absolute tourist trap. Loads of stalls selling trinkets, places where you could dress up and have your picture taken and so on. Onwards to another trap - the crazy womans hotel.

On the way we stopped to look at some of the vegetable fields which were steeply terraced.
The hotel itself was incredible. See the travelog for pictures. I don't think I would want to stay there as some of the rooms would give you nightmares. Quite an interesting way to while away an hour or two though.
Next stop the Royal Palace. After covering our shoes to protect the floors we spent about 30 mins wandering around kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms. Some nice views over the city to be had from here.
Next the cable car and then the old railway station which was just brilliant.
I have to say we enjoyed our two days in Dalat but it is not a place I would visit again. Too twee and touristy and not like Vietnam at all.

Good Restaurant

by jmmorgan

I am going to be in Dalat for my wedding anniversary. We would like a really special meal. We are staying at the Sofitel Dalat Palace but we both have a preference to not eat in the hotels and would rather go out and eat somewhere local. We want good, local food please.
Your suggestions are awaited.

Re: Good Restaurant

by MinhHieu

Hello
Try Ngoc Hai Restaurant on Tran Phu St. You can find good local food there.

Minh Hieu
www.discovermekong.com

Re: Good Restaurant

by ExoticGal

If you can, go to Dalat Market, right near Xuan Huong lake. Don't eat at the food stalls outside, they're yucky & expensive, but try going upstairs. To be safe, ask for the menu with prices before ordering...

Re: Re: Good Restaurant

by Fondest_Memories

True, when travelling throught Vietnam, it's a good idea do ask for prices before purchasing anything. Prices at any vendors in Vietnam are negotiable, be it food, clothes, souvenirs...and so on..The only exception is those "Sieu Thi" or "Supermarket".

Comments