3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Lao Cai BorderLao Cai Border

4 berths cabin4 berths cabin

Has anyone gone from to Lao Cai to China

by kyleaz

Hi we will be going back to Vietnam again this year and I'm starting my research.
Has anyone crossed the border at Lao Cai to China. What is there to do and see around there. I heard that it's a great place to shop but I have no clue what I would buy.
kyleaz

by rbakbike

I went through Lao Cai in late November 2008. I was going the other direction (China to Viet Nam). I had ridden my bike from Xian, China and was heading to Hanoi. There is not much of anything in Lao Cai but I only crossed the border there and left immediately. I did spend a couple of days in Hekou (Chinese side of the border). Sa Pa is a very scenic spot about 38 kilometers from Lao Cai on the Viet Nam side. I would recommend that.

I had a wonderful time riding between Kunming, China and the border but there is only one site of significance - The Stone Forest near Kunming.

Regarding things to buy at the border - there are all kinds of tourist related stores in Hekou but it is all the typical tourist junk.

hope this helps.

robert

Robert,
Hi, Did you ride a bicycle or a moped? How long did it take you to go from Xian to Vietnam?
We loved the Sa Pa area but want to spend more time there. I think we may have missed a lot.

by kyleaz

We saw lots of tourist junk, there was very little that I picked up along our trip. I hope that I have also learned if there is something that I want to get it when I first see it, I may never see it again!

by rbakbike

I rode my touring bike from Xian, China to Hanoi, Vietnam. I took 7 weeks to make the ride. This was my 5th China ride. I have ridden about 6000 miles through China.

As I stated, there is not much in the Lao Cai/Hekou area. I really enjoy being in the Chinese countryside so i really enjoyed the ride. The last great place prior to the boarder was Shilin, just east of Kunming.

robert

Travel Tips for Lao Cai

An Impression towards Hmong Girls

by Arjaree

It was a nice experience to get to hang out with the Hmong girls while I was in Sapa town. These Hmong girls come to the town from their village to sell tourists/travelers blankets, pillow cases, braclets and a few other stuff. Once we got pass how annoying and pushy some of the girls could be to get us buy something from them, they were sweet kids.

We got to get our private tour guide from these few girls. They wandered around the town with us and sang for us. They asked questions and told us stories.

One of the girls whom I made friends with, she asked me to write a reply letter to one former foreign friends of hers. Obviously that person experienced the same thing I and Im sure quite a few tourists/travelers might have experienced. It was the friendship. It was their smiles. And how they amazed us with their English.

I cant help wondering how their lives would turn if they get a chance to get a proper education and opportunities like us.

Visiting Sapa

by Arjaree

A backpack or a day bag It's a little chilly in Sapa in the early morning and late night. So if you're not so used to a cool weather then you'll probably want to bring a light jacket with you. But I'm sure you will need more than that if you go there in the winter. I saw one photo shop there..it should be fine. You will go trekking in Sapa. Bring the trekking gear like a pair of comfy shoes, a hat, and sunblock. Mosquito repellent

Lao Cai - Vietnam & Chinese Border

Cantho Province - Halong Bay - Tam Coc - Dalat - My Son - Long Beach

North West Vietnam

by jodi&matt

"Sapa"

This is the breathtaking view from our hotel room. We took an overnight train from Hanoi. Left at 10pm, arrived in Lao Cai at 6am, then we had a 45 minute shuttle up the mountain to Sapa Town. We were given time to shower and change before breakfast. Then a 14 km trek.

"Walking down the mountain"

Our trek took us through the quiet town of Sapa down valleys, through rice fields and villages. We met tons of locals along the way. Mostly children selling bracelets and other goods their mothers had made. I took a bag of candy and gave it to children along the hike. We stopped at a small village for lunch. The views were amazing. There is no picture that can give you the actual feel of the area.

"Rice Fields"

This picture was taken while we were trekking through a rice field. There were many and the landscape was beautiful. We had a wonderful trek, but our legs were very sore the next day.

Beautiful Sapa

by Arjaree

Sapa is the country's most picturesque hill spot. You can take a train from Hanoi to Sapa. We actually bought a local tour for 3 days/ 2 nights. This contained 2 days of trekking to 2 villages - Cat Cat and Lao Cai. Our Vietnamese guide took us through the rice paddy fields, up and down the mountains which gave me a few bruises, yet, was a great experience.

Actually September is in the rainy season but we were so lucky to see all beautiful green landscapes without being caught in the rain. For other time of the year, you won't get to see it ALL green like the way it is.

In the town, you may be chased after by the hill-tribe girls till you buy a blanket or a pillow case from them. We got to make friends with quite a few Hmong girls who could speak English really well(!), not just to sell stuff. We all were good friends (for hours) till someone mentioned something about money. Then they turned to sales people...

Anyway, it was a nice experience though to get to hang out with the Hmong girls.

Comments