Sapa Hotels

Our Members Say

• Greggor58 profile photo Greggor58
  • Reviews: 478

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Son Ha Hotel: INCREDIBLE VIEWS,AMAZINGLY CHEAP.....

Kevin had scouted this place out on the first day...as a matter of fact,the first morning of our arrival here,while I was catching some much needed sleep after our night travel from Ha Noi.

We were able to check in the morning of our second day in Sa Pa and we ended up booking CHEAPLY a tour to Bac Ha and renting a motorbike.

The room we had was on the TOP floor of the building next to the wide open terrace where we could easily watch the sun rising over the mountains and the morning mists lift off of the Muong Hoa Valley..The views were stunning and the room was just fine ...

Hot water was available when we showered and the washroom was a large size. Most importantly though was the subtle professionalism of the owner whose name I dont remember,a kind soft spoken woman that spoke pretty decent English.

The total cost for accommodation here in this place was a WHOPPING $ 7.00 a night equivalent..for a twin room..two large beds,clean,and EXCEPT for the ROOSTER that lived nearby,a quiet place to call home for a couple of nights.

The VIEWS of the valley are PRICELESS from the terrace outside of the room that we stayed in here...

The hotel provided free internet from the lobby and also had a good wifi system...only interrupted once...when the power went out.. :o[

The location of the hotel is central and only a few minutes walk to restaurants, and shopping.

We rented a motorbike from here for a nominal $ 4.00 a day and she provided helmets.a newish bike that was mechanically sound.We were responsible for gassing the bike at the towns ONLY gas station that we saw.

We booked a day trip to Bac Ha through her...again for almost nothing...it cost us $ 8.00 each for the day trip...more about that later.

She also did laundry for us and again...you guessed it...cost us almost nothing,the exact amounts I didn't write down.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Photography, Arts and Culture
  • Written March 26, 2010
Tip Photo

Son Ha Hotel,Sa Pa, Lao Cai Province,Vietnam.

• Greggor58 profile photo Greggor58
  • Reviews: 478

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Thai Binh Sapa Hotel: One Night Stand...

This is a small and quaint multi level hotel located not too far from the main Square [ Quang Truong ] of Sa Pa...close to and within walking distance of restaurants,the Church, and the main shopping areas of the city,both markets and the main shopping street, Pho Cau Street.

The stay included breakfast and the service was ok...the rate was $ 25.00 a night and the owner helped arrange our train transport from Ha Noi and transit from the train station in Lao Cai to the hotel in Sa Pa.

The room was a twin, and was clean and spacious enough for our needs.The washroom was ok and hot water was iffy...the beds came with electric blankets and they were needed the night that we stayed here.It was pretty cold the first night that we stayed in Sa Pa so some type of heating in the room is a good idea to watch for when you're booking a room here.

We ended up leaving after our first night because of a broken water pump located close to our room that shook our room EVERY time the pump engaged.. until we REQUESTED that it be shut off..while it was running it made a lot of noise and caused the lights to dim every time the thing engaged.

An alternative hotel was scouted out on the first day that we were here so instead of being bumped around to another room in the hotel we ended up finding another GREAT little hotel that in fact was about a quarter of the price of the Thai Binh Sapa Hotel...

The location was GREAT...but they REALLY need to fix the water pump. If they were to fix the pump I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again...except that its possible to find cheaper accommodation in Sa Pa..

The main employee...Hang was a friendly and engaging young woman that was , in spite of the difficult situation , fun to know.We arrived before she had woken,she quickly made a little fire and made us coffee's and breakfast before our room was ready.

The owner as I mentioned earlier helped arrange our train travel with Livitrans Express and arranged our bus transit from Lao Cai to Sa Pa with no extra fees.

The room for each night was $ 25.00....transit from Lao Cai to Sa Pa was $3.00 each and the train travel was $ 30.00 each way per person.

Acting as the middle man Im sure that he added some profit to the tally but I thought it was worth it to have the whole deal looked after for us. Prepayment was not necessary...we simply arranged to pay for the services that we used upon check out.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Photography, Hiking and Walking
  • Written March 26, 2010
Tip Photo

From the Room,Thai Binh Sapa Hotel,Sa Pa,Vietnam.

• balhannah profile photo balhannah
  • Reviews: 9817

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pinochio Hotel: Worst hotel in Sapa

I was taken to this Hotel by another Hotel, as they had given my room away. I was shown my room, on the second floor, for 1 person. I agreed to this room, and went on a tour. When I returned at the end of the day, I was given a key for the 4th floor. I queried this, and they said electrical fault, can't have that room. The fairly unpleasant woman took me to the 4th floor, knocked on the door and went in. Somebody was in this room, in the shower. I said to her "I am sharing with a woman?' No, she answered, its a man. She yelled at him, and he couldn't hear, so back down stairs we went. I was furious, and let her know that I was very unhappy and would not be paying the full price. I went out to dinner, came back, they were at reception, and didn't say anything to me. The shoes, bag and man had gone, so I took it that they had moved him, even though they lied to me that the Hotel was full. I was meant to get free breakfast the next day because of the mix-up and I didn't. It was dirty, the towel was thin and grey, the television didn't work, it leaked and there was a cockcroach. The tours which I did from this hotel were rip-offs. I also found out from another unhappy client, that I still had paid $5 too much. If I could give this hotel a minus rating, I would.
Final say: Definitely do not stay here, its the pits!!!!

• Written March 16, 2008

• balhannah profile photo balhannah
  • Reviews: 9817

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Anh Dao: No use booking

I booked this hotel on the internet, direct with the hotel. Received confirmation that my room was booked. When i arrived early morning from the station, I had trouble finding it, you have to walk through a restaurant to get to it. On arrival, reception took my booking voucher, looked and looked at it, I was left wondering what was going on for 1/4 hour, eventually, he said he would take me to another Hotel. No explantion, i guess they had given my room away.

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written March 16, 2008

• WaRPer profile photo WaRPer
  • Reviews: 253

Camellia Guest House: No Air/Con needed up here

This place is somewhat between a budget hotel and guesthouse. Very affordable and friendly staff + you can also ask for discounted internet connection. The hotel offers motorbike for rent and guided tour around Sapa.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 26, 2006

Sapa at night

• Nicky-IRE profile photo Nicky-IRE
  • Reviews: 21

AIT SAPA HOTEL: chilled out hotel with wonderful views

This hotel is on the outskirts of the town, but it is only about 5-10 minutes walking distance so it is not that far away. The accomodation consists of individual chalets which are built out of wood and on stilts. all of the chalets have large windows and view of the fabulous rose garden and the absolutely stunning mountains. The views are out of this world. The prices range from $18 for a twin room (please check updated prices) and $35 for the VIP chalet where I stayed, which has a living room, bedroom and bathroom. The only catch is that there is not always hot water (this happens in many hotels!!) so make sure that you ask them to put the water on (about 30 minutes before). It´s got a lovely open air bar which has views of the mountains. All in all it´s a very quite location, so not for the fun loving party animals. But if what you´re after is peace and quite and magnificant views then this is the place for you. I couldn´t find a website or phone number for it, but I have included a page through which you can book the hotel.

In my opinion it has the best views in Sapa, and is a self professed eco-centric hotel.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Backpacking
  • Written November 19, 2006

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

Pinochio Hotel: Cheap, great view, a real dump

I stayed at this hotel in April, 2008. I paid $6USD/night total. Breakfast was not included. Room was rather large. Bed was a bit on the hard side with no top sheet (rather common in parts of Asia). Hotel was moderately clean but a real dump. Fantastic mountain views on the upper floors. I was on the 5th floor No elevator. TV w/one Vietnamese channel, no fridge, no internet, free or otherwise. Hosts were not very friendly/helpful, once booked in. I guess its hard to complain at this price. I did look at about 6 other hotels before booking this one. the problem with Sapa lodging is that there are many, many hotels in the $10USD and under range. They are all dumps though. While there are hotels in the $15-$30 dollar range, they all seemed just as dumpy, some even worse, so you have many options but little choice. There seemed to be no hotels in the next tier until you went to the $100USD mark. There are some nice hotels in the $100+ range, but that's a LOT of money for a room in this part of the world in my opinion.

Great view, unfriendly hosts, bordering on surly.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written May 25, 2008

• pfsmalo profile photo pfsmalo
  • Reviews: 1484

Ta Van homestay.

Ta Van seems to be the epicentre of homestaying around Sapa. Every other house is a homestay. Rather a deception, meeting up with only foreigners in the streets. Of course there are the various saleswomen going from house to house wherever they see the tourists at breakfast outside. Our homestay, whilst not approaching the pleasure of the first one in Mai Chau, was reasonable. We were the only people in the place and were welcomed in a friendly way by the Dzay owners. Evening dinner was taken inside, simple chicken and noodles, by the fire as it was quite cold that evening. Only problem really was the WC being in the courtyard 20 metres from the dorm block. But it is still a special experience spending time with these people even if you are paying for the privilege.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 14, 2012
Tip Photo

Our friendly Dzay hostess.

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

Auberge: Perhaps it is an institution...but a tired one.

I looked at rooms in this hotel in April 2007. After reading about it in the Lonely Planet Vietnam Guide, it was my first pick as a place to stay in Sapa....until I saw the place. What a let down! They described it as "a Sapa institution". Most baffling!
There is a restaurant on premises which is quite good.

Great views, however, the most unique quality of this hotel is the incredibly high price, presumeably warranted by it's recent write up in The Lonely Planet. Honestly, to see this hotel after reading the review in LP made me wonder if they ever even visited it. Worn, tired looking, dirty. The prices just are not warranted.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 28, 2008
Tip Photo

• hydronetta profile photo hydronetta
  • Reviews: 903

Royal view Hotel: Good location

Situated next to Bamboo Sapa Hotel and just opposite Red Dragon pub, this hotel enjoys undisturbed views to surrounding landscape (if the foggy weather allows you to).
Our room was spacious though not facing directly the valley. But there is a feeling something is not stylish as the floor was made of plastic immitating wood and the furniture not in style. But beds were big and very comfortable and bathroom was big and fine.
Breakfast was served next to reception area and while in the beginning it was a modest buffet it turned out the last day to be just a cup of coffee and a choice of a dish.
This hotel mainly caters groups so a lot of Black H'mong women know and gather like flies outside the entrance.

The view

• Written March 27, 2007
Tip Photo

• shavy profile photo shavy
  • Reviews: 906

Grand View Hotel: Sapa Valley

It's not fancy, it supposed to be 3* hotel but not worth for the star the room is clean but the furniture is old need to repainted

The hotel is a walking distance to the market and most of the room has a balcony with a mountain view to Sapa village

• Written May 17, 2013

• pfsmalo profile photo pfsmalo
  • Reviews: 1484

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sapa View Hotel.: Not far from the centre.

Stayed here just the one night and was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendliness of staff. Quite a recent hotel and it shows. Breakfast was a buffet and had everything, one of the best breakfasts I have had in Vietnam. The bedroom was a reasonable size with a coffee-maker and hairdryer. There was an electric bed warmer but didn't appear to be functionning unless it was my level of technology (The one in our friends room was working). No problem I was told, somebody would be up to bring a heater. 15 mins later a knock on the door and a guyy walked in with a big sackover his shoulder, I thought it was Father Christmas!!! He then proceeded to light a fire in the closed chimney in the corner of the room, then opened his sack full of logs, couldn't believe it, the fire was our "extra heater". Mind you, it worked, within 10 mins it was nice and cosy inside. Sapa does have a reputation for fog and humidity. The fog is generally the morning and burns off before midday.

The great view from the first floor patio, when there is no fog!!!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 12, 2012
Tip Photo

View from the hotel of the top of Muong Hoa valley

• shintarojon profile photo shintarojon
  • Reviews: 859

Fansipan Hotel: Fansipan Hotel

(last date stayed : April 27, 2007)

Room 212
5 beds in one big room (family room)
rate per night - 4 US$ (we just bargained for it since we were 4 travellers)

- with tv

Room 102
- fan only
- with TV

Rate/night - 3 US $

Note: 6 US $ is the real room rate per night but I was able to bargain!

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 1, 2007

• shintarojon profile photo shintarojon
  • Reviews: 859

Thang Hoa Hotel: Thang Hoa Hotel

(last date stayed - April 27, 2007)

Double bed and a Single bed

rate per night - US $ 3.50/head
- with tv
- clean room

Note: I was with 3 Swedish travellers and we got the room for 3.5 US $
- got extra bed, pillow for me!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written May 1, 2007

• anoum profile photo anoum
  • Reviews: 107

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Phong Huong Hotel: Clean, great location and cheap!

After checking out two other hotels (one in town centre and another along the same road), I decided to pick this one. It is family-run. Seems like mama runs the whole show although others chip in to help. Daughter is the one who stands in the town centre to catch tourists who arrive.

We were quoted US$5 for a room for two persons and with heater (actually electric blanket) or US$3 without. The electric blanket can be hired for US3 a night. We obviously chose the former. We were provided with two electric blankets. Mama showed us how to use it and care for it (no water, no sharp objects), all by gesturing!

Water is heated with gas which isn't as good as electricity because when the water runs as when you bathe, it isn't heated up quickly enough so you get lukewarm water. It seems this is the norm in Sapa hotels.

Clean, great location and cheap! It is just about 5 mins walk from the town centre where the vans usually stop and along the way, both sides of the road are lined with stalls selling handcrafts and food. Despite this, the hotel is at almost the end of the road, so it is quiet. If you manage to get a mountain view facing room, you will get a great view of Fansipan at no extra charge. Free hot water for drinking is provided if you ask for it. Free tea leaves available in room.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, School Holidays