Cau May St., Sapa, Vietnam

Agoda.com Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Pay a higher price...but still a dump

I looked at rooms in this hotel in April, 2008. This hotel was priced quite a bit higher, $20-$30USD but I could not see that it was at all warranted. Rooms were similar to the $6 hotels. Great views, restaurant on premises, but nothing to warrant the extra cost. To me it just seemed like throwing money away.

Unique Quality: Impressive looking on the outside by Sapa standards. Very worn looking inside. A $6 Sapa hotel for $30. Am I missing something?

Directions: At the big bend in the street.

More about Sapa

Ban Ho is famous for its many dog meat dishesBan Ho is famous for its many dog meat dishes

View down hill from hotelView down hill from hotel

Soft trek to Cat CatSoft trek to Cat Cat

My overnight homestayMy overnight homestay

Cold winter lasted until late April

Hi,
will be visiting Sapa late Feb. Had read a forum people saying, the cold weather will last until late April. Don't know whether is it reliable. Was told that in Feb & March, weather hit a low of 4-6oC and average is just a 9oC. Can anyone comment on this? I'm trying to pack as light as I could.

by Greggor58

I traveled in Lao Cai Province last January..Sa Pa and the Muong Hoa Valley...enjoyed comfortable day time temps but cooler evenings..like anywhere I suppose its hit and miss.Coming from Canada anywhere in January is warmer though than it is here.. :o)
If you do find yourself needing warmer clothing there's a lot of variety available in shops and a market close to the Church..theres more detail in some of the pages here..
I ended up buying a warmer jacket in town at a VERY good price..take a look at.
Enjoy Sa Pa...I thought it was a highlight of the four weeks that I spent on the road in Vietnam.
If you need to...its easy to purchase warmer clothing at very reasonable pricing..

by sanda.muntean

check www.weather.com, is a very good site

by sunnyhor

Thanks Greggor58 for the valuable comment. Will follow up the weather everyday.

@sanda.muntean

Thank you very much. www.weather.com does not have the weather for Sapa. Anyway, it's quite difficult to find a site with "real" Sapa weather. Most of the site will have Lao Cai weather and -6 C from Lao Cai weather will estimate to be Sapa weather, I assume so!

by daawgon

Vietnam has quite a short winter, and I believe that only the highlands will be cool starting in late Feb. The people in Hanoi considered 18C to be cold (they told me to come inside for fear of catching an illness).

Thanks daawgon,

I was told that in Feb & March, Sapa average is just a 8 oC and I though it will be cold for me. If it's 18 oC, I consider it just nice. Thank you for you comment!

by hoanghue

Hi,I am a local guide in Sapa,my name is Hoang.I have been living in Sapa almost 9 years.With my experience I think the weather in Sapa in Feb is a little bit cold but it is cooler in March,stay around 18 degree.This is a good time if you want to travel to Sapa.
Good luck !

by hoanghue

Hi,my name is Hoang,I am a local guide in Sapa,I have been living & working here almost 9 years.With my experience if you come to Sapa in late Feb or March,the weather at this time normally stay around 16 to 18 degree.This is a good time for tourists to travel to Sapa.
Good luck !
My email address is:hoang_hue@hotmail.com
Phone:+84 986 228 425

by sunnyhor

Thanks Hoang, your contact bookmarked. You refering 16-18oC is the daytime temperature correct? But night and morning it will be very cold like 5-8 oC ?

Travel Tips for Sapa

Climate

by Willettsworld

When I arrived in Sapa in January it was pretty cold with night-time temperatures only a few degrees above freezing. As there's very little in the way of any heating, I had to hire an electric fire for my room in my hotel. To go with the cold, expect fog. I arrived early in the morning after taking the overnight train, and walked around the town where the weather was overcast and grey. Then the fog blew in very quickly, so quickly in fact, that I could hardly see 25 metres in front of me in the space of a few minutes. The fog (or maybe it was low cloud) also hung around at the start of my trek which hampered the views of the rice terraces. However, as we made our way down into a valley, the fog disappeared and the sun came out and it was beautiful. When I returned to Sapa after my 2 day trek there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Expect very changeable weather up here!

Cau May Street...Central Street Sa Pa...

by Greggor58

This is pretty much the main drag or one of the main streets in the town of Sa Pa…It starts up the hill beside the Quacg Truong Square, where the Weekend Market happens, and runs down the hill, connects with Muong Hoa Street and will take you out of town.

From this street you can access the Vegetable Market that will be on your right hand side going down the hill. You’ll find more than a few souvenir shops, restaurants, stores, and one of only two banks in town. It’s really a busy spot most of the day well into the evening as people come and go, both locals, and tourists. One day while we were having lunch in Little Sa Pa 2 a funeral procession for a young man killed in a motorbike accident even paraded down the street.

On this street you’ll easily find the restaurants noted here on my pages, the store where I found a GREAT deal on a North Face Winter jacket, I found a GREAT little spot here to have a foot massage along here also. It really is the Heart of the commercial activity of Sa Pa..

Im sure when you venture to Sa Pa some of your time will be spent walking UP…or walking DOWN the street. You’ll have heard about it here at VT!! Watch the motorbikes and good luck dodging the Hmong and Dao vendors!!!

Hill-tribes: Black Hmong

by Willettsworld

The Black Hmong are by far the largest ethnic minority group in and around Sapa and you'll see them walking between Sapa and the surrounding villages. In Sapa, you'll see them playing in the square in front of the church and along the main tourist road buying large sticks of sugarcane which they particularly like to chew on as a snack like we would a chocolate bar back home. They're called Black Hmong due to the colour of the clothing they wear which is actually hemp that's dyed violet from a plant that grows locally. The dye stains the hands and transfers to their faces which gives them a rather dirty look. When I was in Sapa at the end of January, I was told that they were dressed in either their best or new clothes in order to attract a mate. Young girls were checking out the boys playing on a huge swing in the square. Girls as young as ten years old can get married and often have two children by the time they are 20 years old. This is especially the case for the more beautiful ones.

If you decide to do an organised trek, expect to have several girls and women tagging along with you. A few of them started chatting me up on my trek and a young French girl came over to rescue me by claiming that I was hers!

Hill-tribes: Flower Hmong

by Willettsworld

The Flower Hmong are like a rare type of tropical bird - pretty, colourful but hard to find. I only saw two during my stay in Sapa. One was in the towns market while another, a young girl, sat down next to me on the street and was having her photo taken every couple of minutes by tourists as she was wearing a very colourful head-dress.

Sapa means 4 possible seasons a day!

by Oda_

A day pack to bring on your treks is a good idea. But these can also be baught in Sapa Bring clothes to suit the local weather! In January to March it can be quit cold, foggy and rainy. A fleece, raincoat/windbreaker, and good trekking shoes is advisable! These items are available here, but at not so fair prices... Rubber boots are cheap in the market, though! It is always smart to have a first aid kit, at leat when you go trekking. And ladies, tampons are hard to find here... Bring your camera! Any camera will do. You will regret it if not bringing one!

Comments