Dong Khanh Hotel

42 Nguyen Duy Hieu Street, Hoi An, Vietnam

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Hoi An

The beach near Hoi An.The beach near Hoi An.

Hoi An old townHoi An old town

WHICH ONE NOW!!!! WHICH ONE NOW!!!!

Museum of History and Culture,Hoi An,Vietnam.Museum of History and Culture,Hoi An,Vietnam.

Use of Post Office

by Fred1931

I am wondering if the Hoi An Post Office has packaging services or if clothes I have made will have to be packaged at the shop. Also do they have Air Mail Service. I do not want to wait months.

by JonnyVN

You can use the EMS (Express Mail service) at the Post Office, but you need to package at shop and be prepared to open it before sending, so don't tape it up do it at the PO
Jonny

by smuss49

Hi, does anyone have experience sending parcels from Vietnam to either the US or South Korea? I'm going to have a suit, 10 or so shirts, and a couple pairs of shoes made. If it's not too expensive to ship I would like 2 do so, as I'd prefer to not carry it around with me. Anybody know the cost per kilo? Thanks.

by jo_26nov

Hi, I had a load of clothes made in Hoi An and after picking them up, walked to the post office where they placed them in a box for Airmail. The Price worked out at $16 for the first 500gr then $5 for each 500gr there after to the UK. USA is priced at $14.42 (first 500gr) then $6 (for each 500gr there after). They estimated 2.5 weeks for delivery. Seamail was priced at $10.50 and $3 but takes 3/4 months for delivery to UK/USA. Mine has however been just over 2.5 weeks and not turned up, hopefully just due the London postal strikes.
Happy shopping in Hoi An, as it's brilliant!!

Travel Tips for Hoi An

Historical Sight Tickets

by Blatherwick

Entry to all historical sights in Hoi An is via a coupon system, where US$5 gets you a ticket that can be used to enter five attractions: one museum, one family house, one Chinese meeting hall, the art performance theater and either the Japanese Covered Bridge or the Quan Kong Temple. Tickets are sold at various entry points into the Old Town, including Hai Ba Trung St.

our little crew

by richiecdisc

We were surprised at how friendly our little crew was, asking lots of questions about our travels along with what latter turned out ingenious ones about things we were wearing that we had bought in other places. They consisted of a mother with her little son and the grandmother doing most of the oar work. They even took a great shot of us with the boy who was certainly a little charmer. We enjoyed the trip more than we had figured on but soon worried about the time as we had bargained only for an hour trip. They did not seem to care about the time so much. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Ao Dai

by magor65

Ao Dai is worn by women and girls everywhere in Vietnam (especially in central and southern parts of the country). But it was in Hoi An that I saw groups of school girls riding their bikes and dressed in impeccable white ao dai. I wish I had managed to take some pictures. The girls looked so charming and unique!
Traditionally, the colours of ao dai should indicate the age and status of a person who wears it. White is reserved for young girls. Older, but unmarried girls wear pastel colours. Strong and rich colours are allowed for mature married women.
Ao dai consists of a long gown which splits above the waist height, worn over wide trousers. It allows freedom of movement but at the same time looks very feminine emphasizing the natural curves of woman's body.
Today ao dai is mostly worn by female staff in hotels and offices and by girls in chosen schools.

Worth a splash!

by RossMFarmer

I recently went diving with Rainbow Divers in Hoi An. Straight away i knew i was with a very professional yet very fun crew.
The day diving trip started with a pick up from my hotel then a short trip down to the harbour to board their traditional wooden boat converted for diving pleasure. On the way out to the Cham Island Marine Park i recieved a full briefing from my dive guide of the way the dive was going to run. We had two fantastic dives and saw plenty of local marinelife of which i was surprised was so plentiful obviously a credit to the Marine Park Association.
On the way back we stopped for a lovely buffet lunch on Cham Island followed by some time to relax on the beach.
Once the island time was over we then returned to the harbour and then transfered to the hotel. All customers commented how satisfied they were with the level of customer service we recieved and the experienced dive guys abbility to find everything in the water! Strongly suggest popping in to see manager Ross Kelly and his experienced team whether it be for a diving tour or a Padi course! No gear was necessary as all was included.

My Son, the Champa Kingdom's Capital

by call_me_rhia

My Son, the Champa Kingdom's Capital, is located about an hour from Hoi An, and can be reached by cheap tour buses or by private taxi. Cheap tour buses cost a few dollars but they all arrive at the same time, so when you visit, the archaeological site will be packed. Taxis cost about 20 dollars and give you the chance to explore the site in a less crowded and rushed way.

My Son was a center for spirituality and worship of Champa Kingdom, which had their spiritual influence from India. In the past it would have looked like a forest of ceremonial towers - now, after much of the site has been destroyed by bombing during the Vietnam war, only about 25 of the original towers are left standing.

A path leads you through the site and past all significant monuments, although the best one that you'll see is the first one you'll encounter, after walking up the hill past the entrance. The main temple here is dedicated to SHiva, while others were used to keep the sacred books and for ceremonial purposes.

Once you get to My Son you need to buy an entrance ticket (55000 dong, july 2007) before crossing the bridge. here your ticket will be checked and you'll be directed to some parked green jeeps, who will drive you to the "real" site entrance, still some kilometres far... uphill and through dense forest.

Comments