576 Cua Dai, Hoi An, Vietnam

Expedia.com Travelocity Agoda.com

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

A Personal Touch.....

We found this property on line...and used Trip Advisor to check on reviews.The reviews were not incorrect...all were GLOWING reports..

When we arrived we were warmly greeted by the Hostesses on duty...Minh,Yumi,and Anne..a warm welcome,an efficient and fast check in and were quickly helped to our rooms...no elevator...and a fourth floor loction.From that point on they addressed us by our first names and made every effort to make our four night stay the most comforting of our six week odyssey throughout SE Asia.

The room we booked was a twin and the rate was about $ 17.00 each a night....the room was clean and bright and spacious enough for our needs....we laughed upon walking into the room for the first time...each bed was decorated with a large heart shape made of rose petals...not what we're used to that's for sure..but a nice touch nevertheless...

The room was equipped with a refrigerator and television although I certainly could do without the tv...the room had wifi and always with a good signal..swimming pool was available that was in a kind of shaded area of the property and as a result the water temperature was a little chilly...though after a hot day walking about town it was certainly refreshing to jump in and wash away the dayyyy..

Internet access was also available free of charge in the lobby where there were maybe five terminals...

They provided a GREAT breakfast buffet every day starting at 7:00 am and wrapping up at 10:00 am...complete with the usual...fresh bagettes and eggs...cooked as you like them...fresh fruit,coffee,juices....I eat to my hearts content...

The location of the hotel was a pleasant fifteen minute walk away from the Old Section of Hoi An and all around were stores and cafes and restaurants...ice cream and bakery a few steps away on Cua Dai Street..

Right across the alley way outside of one of the entrances there was a woman that has a small business...on a cart...selling pops,beer,water,cigarettes and even motorbike or bicycle rentals....my cousin that I was traveling with ended up renting a motorbike from her and paid only $ 5.00 USA equivalent for each day he had it..complete with helmet...he was responsible to gas the bike...the motorbike I must add was mechanically sound and the price more than fair!

I would certainly stay here again if I could if I ever returned to Hoi An...

Unique Quality: The personal interest that the hostesses had in our stay with them and they're attention to small details in addition to the GREAT breakfasts certainly made this hotel the BEST that we stayed at during our time in Vietnam...

Directions: Just a twenty minute walk outside of the Old Town ...

• fiLination's Profile Photo

Hoi An - Hai Au - Hotel recommendation

Hoi An - The ``Hai Au Hotel``
    ---------------------------
    Price & Background : Truth be told, I liked the hotel, the staff and the city so much that I actually ended up staying there for over a month (!!!). The hotel has excellent value for price with a big spacey room with all the regularities (TV, fridge, big bath, aircon) and the loveliest swimming pool for 8-15$. Since I was traveling for a long time I settled for the cheaper one of 8$, which was more than I could ever wish for.

Services : The hotel also offers the usual Internet and laundry and has a pretty good restaurant attached that delivers room/pool service. I`ve done all my VISA extensions and travel booking through their reception, after I`ve checked around and found the prices to be of very good value.

Location: The hotel is located on the main Cua Dai road heading to the beach and about 10 minutes walk from old town, 5 minutes from post office, 20 minutes bike-ride to the Cua Dai beach. It is on an alley from the street so there isn`t any of that morning-evening noise I`ve seen while visiting my friends` hotels. I also liked the fact that it was a little off the main tourist hassler’s trail.

Staff: I`ve come to know and adore the entire staff over there, which was the friendliest bunch I`ve ever met - Tam, Minh, Long, Tham, Anh, Yum, Han and the list goes on and on. Seeing their smiles every day and talking to them has really made my stay in Hai Au the best time I`ve had my whole trip in Southeast Asia.

Details:
    Address - 24B Cua Dai St, Hoi An town, Vietnam
    Number - +84-510-914-577
    Websites with some pictures (ignore the rates) -
    hotelvietnamonline.com/hoian/haiauhotel/
    www.hoianworldheritage.org/hotels/haiau/BigHome.htm

Directions: The hotel is located on the main Cua Dai road heading to the beach and about 10 minutes walk from old town, 5 minutes from post office, 20 minutes bike-ride to the Cua Dai beach.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

sometimes it pays to look

There are quite a few options now regarding the backpacker bus that runs from Hanoi to Saigon. It’s no longer the Sinh Café’s sole domain and that is good. Competition keeps prices down, right? Well, this is true in general and sometimes it can be too good. One thing you will notice when taking the buses is they stop at a few hotels on the way into the city you’re traveling to. This is a way of getting kickbacks and making a few extra bucks that they are losing in the ever competitive market of shuttling us around their country. They generally bring you to the most expensive place first and I hadn't even given them a look, assuming they were too expensive, but in Hoi An, I decided to at least take a peek at how the other half lives. Once in the lobby of Hai Au, I noticed how nice it was and immediately told the receptionist that though it looked great, it was out of our price range. She asked us to have a look at a room and it was equally impressive but I stuck to my guns about it being too expensive. She asked how much we wanted to pay and, to be nice, I said $10 even though $8 was more like it. Surprisingly, she said we could have it for just that. So, what could I do but say thanks? The strange thing was nobody else stepped off the bus with us. It waited to whisk us off to another presumably cheaper place. She figured something was better than nothing though I am sure the price would have been more like $25 if it had been more in demand. Sometime it pays to look!

Unique Quality: The room was by far the nicest we had on our whole trip to Vietnam. It was tastefully decorated with new wooden furniture and a small cozy balcony. The private bath was sumptuous and modern, but the best part was a chartreuse mosquito net that hung delicately over our king-size bed. The front desk staff was very helpful but not overly obtrusive and the location was quiet and not too far a walk from the Old Town. The biggest surprise was they didn’t even charge
    the room tax that is nearly impossible to get around paying no matter what they normally promise on checking in. It was a flat $10 a night. It’s no wonder we stayed four nights.

Directions: If you head towards the beach, out D Tran Hung Dao in the Old Town, it will become Cua Dai and you will come to the hotel about a third of the way to the beach.

More about Hai Au Hotel

Love this place!!!

by TripAdvisor Member hnhn

I stayed at Hai Au hotel whenever I came to Hoi An for 3 years.
The strength of this hotel is the people working here. I became best friends with a wonderful lady working there and her family is like my family now. I stayed in different rooms everytime I went there -all rooms are huge and fully equipped. I felt secure at Hai Au hotel. The location was very convenient. I rode a bike to the beach -takes about 10-15 min, and walked to the downtown (approx. 15 min) for shopping. I highly recommend Hai Au hotel. You will feel home at Hai Au.

Excellent hotel in every way! Especially the staff is brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member KarinaSverige

I have been staying in Hai Au Hotel 5 times since 2006. Last time i feb 2008. Each time about 5 days. I sincerey can say that this is the most wonderful hotel you can imagine! Especially the staff makes the place so nice that you don't want to leave! Their warm greetings make you feel very welcome and the rooms are really nice and breakfast very good. What more can you possibly want? I recommend Hai Au Hotel with all my heart!

Karina from Sweden

Clean & serene with an army of professional, helpful staff.

by TripAdvisor Member aroundtheworld2207

This hotel just oozes friendliness and great service. I arrived at 7.30am and was able to check-in straight away which was brilliant - no hanging around until the usual check-in time. The rooms are very spacious, with balconies, shuttered windows and French doors. The bathrooms positively sparkle. The rooms have TV, a phone and little additions such as wall lights and reading lamps. This place is easily the cleanest hotel I've stayed at so far. There is a pool and an outside area to hang around which is located in the centre of the hotel - a very quiet spot. A buffet breakfast is included in the room price which will keep you going for the entire day. They also serve food in the restaurant until midnight. Rent a bicycle from here for less than us$1 and take off down to the beach - a straight road from the hotel about 4km with lots to see on the way. You can easliy walk into the old part of town and the PO is just up the road. What makes this place work though is the staff. They are so friendly and they will do anything to make your stay a happy one. All buses, tours, flights etc can be organised from the reception. I stayed here on my way up north and on my return to HCMC. Both rooms I stayed in were wonderful.

Great hotel at a very reasonable price

by TripAdvisor Member AUSCANDuncan

I ventured into the courtyard for breakfast and ended up checking in. I was asked to move from my initial room to accomodate a couple who needed a queen bed but my alternate room was very satisfactory. Breakfast bar was excellent. Staff were consistently responsive and courteous. The one fly in the ointment was dealt with very professionally - and this would be my one cautionary note. DON'T LEAVE VALUABLES UNTENDED IN YOUR ROOM!
I had intended to deposit some cash at the front desk with my other valuables but left it in my suitcase during breakfast. By the time I had returned, my room was cleaned and the money was gone. BUT, when I voiced my concern to the front desk the manager was contacted and I was fully reimbursed without any dispute. I believe that an opportunistic cleaner couldn't resist the temptation and I suspect that the matter was pursued internally. I was prepared to accept my responsibility in the matter but was pleased to see such a positive response - which I doubt that I would have experienced back home. Next year I hope to come back with my family.

Big smiles all around

by TripAdvisor Member Fredopreis

We were very happy to stay in this friendly hotel, a warm welcome is what all tourists want and that is definately what we got. When we had small requests, they were seen to immediately and the matrasses were the best of my trip (3 months and counting) so far!

Fred
Amsterdam

Fine but not fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member drumbrake

I've seen many 4 and 5 star ratings for this hotel, so was expecting something special. I was a little disappointed on arrival.

There's nothing very wrong with the hotel; pickup from the bus station was ok - taken on 2 motorcycle taxis to hotel, check in was easy, reception staff friendly and not pushy, room clean although bathroom floor still very wet. However, to give it 4 stars I'd expect a little more from the room. For example, in the bathroom there is a tub but no shower curtain. This means a wet floor everytime someone showers. Our room is described as 'with balcony'. The balcony is about 2 foot square and has a view of the wall of an adjoining building. Maybe on higher floors views are better. There are also a lack of available electric sockets for recharging. We had to take the fridge one out.

Other good points include the restaurant - good food and reasonable, and the free computers and wireless.

Don't use the hotel for booking private cars - you can get cheaper from the travel agent across the main road.

Overall, I might stay there again, although would prefer to be closer to the old town. It's a good 10-15 minute walk to the centre of the old town.

Honesty Problem

by TripAdvisor Member Archivist1

This is so wierd it is hard to clearly explain - Based on the great TripAdvisor reviews I made a reservation for two nights at the Hai Au Hotel in Hoi Au. I made the reservations two months in advance. I also took them up on their offer to pick my partner and I up at the train station in Da Nang for $15. I had read all about taxi's taking you to the wrong hotel, but I really did not expect the hotel's own driver and car to do that ( took awhile to figure out what happened). The car took us to a hotel in the right area, we were greeted outside by a hotel representative in the driveway and taken inside immediately bypassing the desk. Mistake number 1 - I did not read the name on the outside of the hotel when we arrived - assuming the Hai Au car would take me to the Hai Au hotel - wrong! The respresentative took us directly to our room and started an involved story - she said we had only reserved one night (before I said anything about 2 nights), but fortunately they we could stay at Hai Au #2 (the hotel we were at) and move to Hai Au #1 tomorrow. I thought, well maybe I made a mistake in the reservation, but it did not occur to me that if I reserved only one night, how would she know about the problem before it came up. The room was not of the same quality. I should have stopped the whole thing there, but I bought the story - Mistake #2 - I did not have the confirmation with me and we just completed a 16 hour train trip from Hanoi and were tired and just wanted a room. After the representative left the room, I saw literature in the room that made it clear we NOT at the so called and non-existant "Hai Au #2," but the Hai Yen, a hotel next door to the actual Hai Au. The room rate online for the Hai Yen is $25, but the Hai Au representative insisted the rate would be $35 - the rate for a room at the Hai Au. Mistake #3 was not going to another hotel completely and walking away from the mess. The basic issue is honesty or lack of honesty - I expect what happened is that the Hai Au overbooked and instead of admitting it and explaining the problem and arranging another equal quality room, they lied and diverted us to another lower quality hotel, did not admit it and invented a story. We moved to the Hai Au the next day and it is very good, all that the reviews say, but honesty is an issue. Read the name of the hotel they take you to, even if they use their own driver. I would not go to the Hai Au again regardless of the quality of the rooms.

Comments